Stand up recs

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7399
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Kory » 07 Jun 2016, 11:52pm

Silent Majority wrote:Haven't heard either yet, but pleased to see Hari Kondabolu and Bo Burnham have new specials out. Two comedians worth checking out based on their previous releases. Burnham's on Netflix now, Kondabolu's going to come out at some point next month, and I'll pay for it. Which, you should know, is a huge deal for me to do.
I can't trust anyone named Bo.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Jun 2016, 3:12am

Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Haven't heard either yet, but pleased to see Hari Kondabolu and Bo Burnham have new specials out. Two comedians worth checking out based on their previous releases. Burnham's on Netflix now, Kondabolu's going to come out at some point next month, and I'll pay for it. Which, you should know, is a huge deal for me to do.
I can't trust anyone named Bo.
He's a musical comedian. So, your instincts seem sharp so far.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 07 Jul 2016, 6:10pm

David Cross is in town towards the end of the month. B noticed this and asked if we should get tickets. I looked it up and said $50 a ticket (plus whatever service charges) was excessive for a guy who's become a liberal douche. So, no.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2016, 6:17pm

Kaleb's girlfriends have undoubtedly told him this already, but Norm Macdonald has a memoir coming out in September.
Image
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Aug 2016, 4:42pm

Brian Posehn has a new album coming out in a few weeks and the cover is all kinds of awesome.
Image
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Silent Majority » 03 Aug 2016, 4:51pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Brian Posehn has a new album coming out in a few weeks and the cover is all kinds of awesome.
Image
I like him, you can trust him for a good hour.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Aug 2016, 5:03pm

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Brian Posehn has a new album coming out in a few weeks and the cover is all kinds of awesome.
Image
I like him, you can trust him for a good hour.
I will never not convulse in laughter at this:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Aug 2016, 5:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Brian Posehn has a new album coming out in a few weeks and the cover is all kinds of awesome.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Aug 2016, 5:42pm

Image
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Aug 2016, 5:58pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
He's a heavy metal fan. Is this the album where he's joined by members of Anthrax/The Cult/White Zombie?
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Aug 2016, 6:05pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
He's a heavy metal fan. Is this the album where he's joined by members of Anthrax/The Cult/White Zombie?
Only David Lee Roth. /downgoesHeston
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35427
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Aug 2016, 6:29pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
He's a heavy metal fan. Is this the album where he's joined by members of Anthrax/The Cult/White Zombie?
Only David Lee Roth. /downgoesHeston
:mrgreen:

Backed by the members of Starship with a pastiche album cover of WBTCORAR then you're really in business. It don't come more metal than that.
Image
Image

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15387
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Stand up recs

Post by JennyB » 04 Aug 2016, 11:53am

My brother met Louis CK in the MSP airport the other day. He didn't want to bother him too much, so he just told him he was a fan and excited to see his show here in the "Jortsville. Said he was nice.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Aug 2016, 6:50pm

I'm watching the new David Cross special on Netflix—from the same tour that we skipped when it came thru Ottawa—and it ain't good. Cross may still be a decent comedic actor, but his stand-up just ain't good anymore. Way too much smug liberal "Americans iz dum" stuff. And while that could still be funny, it's done in a dickish way. Plus, considering that he looks like the same kind of rednecks he mocks, it's even more off-putting.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Wolter » 05 Aug 2016, 7:16pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm watching the new David Cross special on Netflix—from the same tour that we skipped when it came thru Ottawa—and it ain't good. Cross may still be a decent comedic actor, but his stand-up just ain't good anymore. Way too much smug liberal "Americans iz dum" stuff. And while that could still be funny, it's done in a dickish way. Plus, considering that he looks like the same kind of rednecks he mocks, it's even more off-putting.
Over the past few years, especially due to twitter, I have found that most liberal comedians have become irritatingly patronizing and smug. Honestly, while I appreciate that there are standups out there doing political material, most of them (even and especially the "liberal" ones) are actually pretty politically reactionary and fairly glib in their understanding of major issues. And WAAAAAAAY too willing to suck up to powerful individuals as long as they doesn't have an "(R)" after their name on a TV chyron.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests