Stand up recs

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Stand up recs

Post by Flex » 16 Mar 2013, 12:31am

Dude started believing his own bullshit, is the problem.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 28 Apr 2013, 4:59pm

Chris Hardwick's playing a fair sized theatre in London, on a Wednesday night at 10 pm with tickets £22.50 a go. I wouldn't have minded seeing him, but he seems to be going for the unemployed millionaire audience. Eddie Pepitone, an immeasurably better comedian, is doing a long run at a smaller venue with tickets as little as a tenner, starting at a quarter to eight in the evening. A classy guy, really, I'm looking forward to seeing him.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione » 28 Apr 2013, 5:49pm

I've been watching Eddie Pepitone stand-up on YouTube. Really funny guy.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 28 Apr 2013, 5:50pm

Chuck Mangione wrote:I've been watching Eddie Pepitone stand-up on YouTube. Really funny guy.
Very good indeed, a lifer who's been creatively invigorated by the exposure he's been getting of late.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 28 Apr 2013, 9:08pm

I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 29 Apr 2013, 12:44pm

JennyB wrote:I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
He was a douche back then. I can't imagine what a douche he is today as an over-40 Republican who thinks he used to be somebody.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 29 Apr 2013, 12:53pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:I hope Chris Hardwick remembers that he used to host the deplorable 90's MTV show "Singled Out" with esteemed neuroscientist Jenny McCarthy. A show I'm sure Hoy watched religiously.
He was a douche back then. I can't imagine what a douche he is today as an over-40 Republican who thinks he used to be somebody.
I think he's pretty typical Hollywood liberal, to be fair. His stand-up is fairly mediocre, but he's a positive enough presence.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 29 Apr 2013, 12:59pm

Silent Majority wrote:I think he's pretty typical Hollywood liberal, to be fair. His stand-up is fairly mediocre, but he's a positive enough presence.
Yeah, I've never seen his standup, but his television personality stuff seems totally innocuous. I don't particularly like him, but I can't see how he's a problem or anything. Other than his enabling nerds to feel anything other than shame for their interests, I mean.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Sep 2013, 7:46pm

Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep » 08 Sep 2013, 8:10pm

I laughed at that special a lot. It never once lags or gets preachy. Hugely recommended.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Sep 2013, 7:42am

Watched Kumail Nunjiani's Beta Male last night. He's funnier on twitter than stage, which is a shame. He passed the five laugh out loud rule, though, so it gets a recommend from me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes » 10 Sep 2013, 12:03pm

Silent Majority wrote:Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.
Is he over Alison Pearson? Wink, wink
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Sep 2013, 5:46pm

Purple Hayes wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Doug Stanhope's new hour, Beer Hall Putsch, is the stand up comedy album of the year. I've always liked him, but I think show-to-show you've only got glimmers of what he's capable of. This one moves beyond the self-mythologising that he's sometimes too into, and the dearth of material you saw on the last few albums, into a laugh out loud funny through the whole hour show. What's great about his stuff has always been his wonderful disregard for tarting over the audience's appreciation, but this time it's tied to some fantastic bits and well crafted actual brilliant jokes.
Is he over Alison Pearson? Wink, wink
Ahaha! She didn't come up.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Sep 2013, 3:59pm

Watching David Cross' HBO special, "The Pride is Back." Goddamn but he was good a long time ago. Hunt it down on the Pirate Bay if you've never seen it before.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 31 Oct 2013, 8:47am

Going to see Stewart Lee on the 11th. Once, the unapproachable top of my favourite comedians, now I find he goes up his own smug, repetitive arse a little too much, to the delight of a sycophantic audience of Guardian liberals. Hopefully, he'll be a good laugh.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/