DEVO News

General music discussion.
Post Reply
tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

DEVO News

Post by tepista » 16 Mar 2009, 2:25pm

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE dated 3/10/09

DEVO ANNOUNCE NEW STUDIO ALBUM
TO DEBUT FALL 2009!

De-evolution has finally arrived...and who better to guide us through the mess than DEVO.

What the iconic new wave, art punk pioneers cautioned us about almost 30 years ago is no longer a humorous theory.

The fall of 2009 will bring a new DEVO studio album, their first one since 1990's Smooth Noodle Maps. It'll mark their first new music since the strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It," their first new song in 18 years and one that was produced by Sweden's TeddyBears (Robyn). They're now in the studio putting the finishing touches on their new album (title TBA).
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: DEVO News

Post by tepista » 16 Mar 2009, 2:25pm

tepista wrote:Othe strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It,"
That song was fucking great
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: DEVO News

Post by matedog » 16 Mar 2009, 2:27pm

tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:Othe strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It,"
That song was fucking great
Sorry to interrupt your conversation with yourself but the Virgin Megastore in downtown SF is shutting down and they are doing 40% now. I will use it as a chance to get dirt cheap cds. I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: DEVO News

Post by tepista » 16 Mar 2009, 2:30pm

matedog wrote:I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Yes, that's their first. Start with the first 3 in order (Are we We Not Men, Duty Now, Freedom of Choice). If you like them, then inquire about demos and boots. I assume you'll like it, since you like everything.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Wolter » 16 Mar 2009, 2:32pm

matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:
tepista wrote:Othe strong fan reaction that greeted the 2007 single "Watch Us Work It,"
That song was fucking great
Sorry to interrupt your conversation with yourself but the Virgin Megastore in downtown SF is shutting down and they are doing 40% now. I will use it as a chance to get dirt cheap cds. I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Are We Not Men is stellar.
Freedom of Choice and Duty Now For the Future are great
New Traditionalists is fun
Diminishing returns from then on.

If you can find any of the Hardcore discs, they are pretty good, but I would get Are We Not Men, Duty Now, and Freedom of Choice first. Eh, wait...they're out of print anyway.

Also, try to locate the Booji Boy version of "Jocko Homo" at some point in your life (it's on both Greatest Misses and the Rhino Anthology. It is massively better than the (admittedly still great) album version of the song.


ADDENDUM: or just do what Tep just said.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Flex » 16 Mar 2009, 2:40pm

GET IT ALL

Also, kickass news.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: DEVO News

Post by matedog » 16 Mar 2009, 2:54pm

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote:I know very little of Devo and I figure I could give it a go. What is a good starter album? I am aware that "Are We Not Men" has a good rep.
Yes, that's their first. Start with the first 3 in order (Are we We Not Men, Duty Now, Freedom of Choice). If you like them, then inquire about demos and boots. I assume you'll like it, since you like everything.
They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: DEVO News

Post by tepista » 16 Mar 2009, 3:01pm

matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.

here's a sample

[youtube]
[/youtube]
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Wolter » 16 Mar 2009, 3:05pm

tepista wrote:No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
And everything like everything that everyone should like.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Mar 2009, 3:13pm

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
You kidding? Hoy's pretty much dismissed the entire post-punk period (also known as The Creative Peak of the Rock Era—trademark pending).
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: DEVO News

Post by matedog » 16 Mar 2009, 3:18pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
You kidding? Hoy's pretty much dismissed the entire post-punk period (also known as The Creative Peak of the Rock Era—trademark pending).
I like post-punk bands. I just like them when they stop playing post-punk music.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: DEVO News

Post by JennyB » 16 Mar 2009, 4:40pm

tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.

here's a sample

[youtube]
[/youtube]
My favorite Devo song. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71184
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Mar 2009, 4:48pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.
You kidding? Hoy's pretty much dismissed the entire post-punk period (also known as The Creative Peak of the Rock Era—trademark pending).
I like post-punk bands. I just like them when they stop playing post-punk music.
You make my toes hurt and not in a good Las Vegas way.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12603
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: DEVO News

Post by Silent Majority » 17 Mar 2009, 7:59am

JennyB wrote:
tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.

here's a sample

[youtube]
[/youtube]
My favorite Devo song. :mrgreen:
Sounds like Violence in Our Minds by Last Resort, but with absolutely fucking terrible vocals.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

modskin
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2747
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 11:12am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: DEVO News

Post by modskin » 17 Mar 2009, 9:33am

Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
tepista wrote:
matedog wrote: They don't do Pennywise covers right? Okay, good.
No, they're nothing like the 2 or 3 bands in the whole world that you actually don't like.

here's a sample

[youtube]
[/youtube]
My favorite Devo song. :mrgreen:
Sounds like Violence in Our Minds by Last Resort, but with absolutely fucking terrible vocals.
And recorded at least 5 years previously.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests