Jay-Z - Wonderwall/99 Problems

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Jay-Z - Wonderwall/99 Problems

Post by Flex »

I sort of have a vague memory of this being posted here before, but if not:
[youtube][/youtube]
I actually sort of dig it (not normally a big Jay Z fan). It's kind of an homage and fuck-you at the same time* and adding the AC/DC riffage to "99 Problems" notches up the kick-assedness quite a bit.

*Apparently, Noel Gallagher was bitching that Jay-Z was a poor choice to headline the Glastonbury festival and so Jay-Z covered "Wonderwall" out of mockery. But he seems to enjoy singing the song, and the crowd eats it up.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sub in exile

Re: Jay-Z - Wonderwall/99 Problems

Post by Sub in exile »

Dislike Jay Z and Noel Gallagher personally, but I love Noel's music, so he wins out of the two in my books :rolleyes:

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

His voice kills that song.

And it's kinda pathetic 'cos Noel can't fight back.
And I agree with the Manc anyway.
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...

Flex

Post by Flex »

MadModWorld wrote:And it's kinda pathetic 'cos Noel can't fight back.
Yeah, but didn't Noel sort of bring it upon himself by talking shit in the first place?

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Eh, that was harmless. I love the song (in its original incarnation), but I hate how all hip hoppers have to have their friends up there yelling into their own mics the same lyrics.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I hate tuneless rap. Hum me a Jay-Z song. It should be filed under Spoken Word. Or Rubbish.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

Flex wrote:
Yeah, but didn't Noel sort of bring it upon himself by talking shit in the first place?
Not really. He just said that Glasto didn't sell out 'cos they had Hip Hop headlining, it's like having Coldplay opening for a 50 Cent gig.

Flex

Post by Flex »

MadModWorld wrote:
Flex wrote:
Not really. He just said that Glasto didn't sell out 'cos they had Hip Hop headlining, it's like having Coldplay opening for a 50 Cent gig.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it," he said. "If you start to break it then people aren't going to go. I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? No chance.

"Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music and even when they throw the odd curve ball in on a Sunday night you go 'Kylie Minogue?' I don't know about it. But I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong."

That's more than just saying it'll make it harder to sell tickets. He's clearly taking a swipe at Jay-Z and hip hop generally. Which is fine, I guess. I don't particularly like Jay-Z (I own Oasis albums, but I don't have any Jay-Z in my collection), but Noel was definitely talking shit and Jay-Z responded, I think, in a fairly amusing fashion. One which wasn't even particularly offensive, as matedog pointed out. Plus, the festival did actually sell out in the end so Noel wasn't even correct in his prediction.

Also, I like how Noel thinks an entire genre of music should be excluded from a festival. He's the asshole here, not Jay-Z.

Pex Lives!

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Post by MadModWorld »

To be honest, I believe it is wrong to have hip hop there, it's the wrong scene, the wrong kids.
I've got nothing against hip hop really, I just don't like it, not my type of music.

I don't know if there's a festival for genres like hip hop & rap or what not, but if there was it wouldn't make sense to have, as I said, someone like Coldplay headlining.

Flex

Post by Flex »

MadModWorld wrote:To be honest, I believe it is wrong to have hip hop there, it's the wrong scene, the wrong kids.
I've got nothing against hip hop really, I just don't like it, not my type of music.
I might agree more with this except Glastonbury already has a pretty long tradition of playing non-rock music in the form of folk, reggae, dance, "world," electronic and so forth... so it seems a little disingenuous to say that since its inception the festival has featured exclusively rock acts.
I don't know if there's a festival for genres like hip hop & rap or what not, but if there was it wouldn't make sense to have, as I said, someone like Coldplay headlining.
I wouldn't want Coldplay to headline because Coldplay just sucks. At least Jay-Z has a little pop.

I just think everyone should play at everything. :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

In any case, it's all a moot point because this beats Jay-Z and Oasis hands down:
[youtube][/youtube]

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

MadModWorld wrote:To be honest, I believe it is wrong to have hip hop there, it's the wrong scene, the wrong kids.

I agree somewhat, but I could definitely see a group like the Roots performing at Glastonbury and going over quite well. Jay-Z just sucks, that's why the tickets didn't sell.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

MadModWorld wrote: And it's kinda pathetic 'cos Noel can't fight back.
What's stopping him?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
MadModWorld wrote: And it's kinda pathetic 'cos Noel can't fight back.
What's stopping him?
Agreed. As Flex said, he started it.

I have no use for Jay-Z's music and I'm not that big on Oasis either, but frankly, I agree with Flex. Noel was the one being a xenophobic dickhead, and the response was a mild rebuke at best.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

I don't want to harp on this too much more, but by the time the festival started it did sell out. I guess it usually sells out in one day, so it's still food for thought but in this whole thing it's at least worth noting that Noel was not only a dick but actually wrong about what would happen. Also, from all reports, the crowd got a lot younger - which was the whole point of having Jay-Z in the first place.

I think they could achieve the goals of a younger crowd and selling out more quickly if they got someone like - as JennyB mentioned - The Roots to play.

And Wolter got my back. 'Cuz we're from the streets and we know how to keep it "real" :shifty:

Pex Lives!