Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The crummiest music videos ever

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:26am
This is a great pre-mtv music video:
Is that creepy Allen Ginsberg in the background?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:29am
Yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:29am
Flex wrote:
Yep.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:33am
revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 7:26am
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 10:25pm

I’m a member of a CD collector Facebook group (wow, typing that makes me feel old). People always post about their favorite bands, showing off their collections. There is one guy who posted his collection of something like 300 Bee Gees CDs. I just saw another member who is raving about Toto. It takes all kinds, I guess.
In one of the outtakes from the UK Office, Tim is talking to the camera about Gareth, trying to express his frustrations. He says that with all the music that has ever been made, all the varieties, the creativity and possibility, Gareth's favourite band is … Mike and the Mechanics. That scene has stayed with me and is recalled whenever I come across people who adore painfully mediocre music.
Yet you (many of us) recognize that band name. I couldn't name a song but I feel my knowledge of its existence is bad enough.
They were an 80s spin-off of Genesis—Phil Collins was being appalling by himself and the other two didn't want to get left behind in producing sonic poo. I can't remember the name of their hit, but it got a ton of play. It should be in consideration for worst song of the 80s (in the category of songs that were hits).
"The Living Years" a song sang from the point of view of a son who has regrets of not making better efforts while his father was still alive.

Simple don't be an asshole in the first place show more understanding and compassion and then we don't need your dumb mopey song.
I really despise that line where he says "when my father passed away." It is so clunky, literal and useless.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:34am
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:33am
revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 8:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 7:26am

In one of the outtakes from the UK Office, Tim is talking to the camera about Gareth, trying to express his frustrations. He says that with all the music that has ever been made, all the varieties, the creativity and possibility, Gareth's favourite band is … Mike and the Mechanics. That scene has stayed with me and is recalled whenever I come across people who adore painfully mediocre music.
Yet you (many of us) recognize that band name. I couldn't name a song but I feel my knowledge of its existence is bad enough.
They were an 80s spin-off of Genesis—Phil Collins was being appalling by himself and the other two didn't want to get left behind in producing sonic poo. I can't remember the name of their hit, but it got a ton of play. It should be in consideration for worst song of the 80s (in the category of songs that were hits).
"The Living Years" a song sang from the point of view of a son who has regrets of not making better efforts while his father was still alive.

Simple don't be an asshole in the first place show more understanding and compassion and then we don't need your dumb mopey song.
I really despise that line where he says "when my father passed away." It is so clunky, literal and useless.
Agree 100% mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Anyway...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Shit, I'd still regard that as top-notch. I mean, you want to watch it? It demands attention. I'm kind of old-fashioned in that I'm wary of distracted viewing, that that isn't an asset. So a video that requires following along, concentrating, is a good thing.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:37am
Anyway...

The 80s produced so much loathsome shit. So, so much.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:54am
Flex wrote:
Shit, I'd still regard that as top-notch. I mean, you want to watch it? It demands attention. I'm kind of old-fashioned in that I'm wary of distracted viewing, that that isn't an asset. So a video that requires following along, concentrating, is a good thing.
Hello,

I've always liked the video and man, does Dylan look young!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 11:57am
Heston wrote:
Anyway...

Was that merely an inevitable consequence of the "video" age? When image and the right look on screen became as important or arguably more so than the songs and tunes you were banging out. Even the so called novelty hits took a sharp nose dive sometime around the early 80s. I mean, most of em were pretty lame before that too, but you got the odd one that hit some kind of mark at least.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Anyway...

Was that merely an inevitable consequence of the "video" age? When image and the right look on screen became as important or arguably more so than the songs and tunes you were banging out. Even the so called novelty hits took a sharp nose dive sometime around the early 80s. I mean, most of em were pretty lame before that too, but you got the odd one that hit some kind of mark at least.
I think part of it was the greater emphasis on image. It was always a part of rock, no matter how much the dinosaurs grumbled when MTV came along. But once MTV became more important than radio for promotion, the emphasis on the visual elevated and rewarded the slight. As Jello sang in "MTV Get Off the Air," "There's something I don't like about a band that always smiles."

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 12:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Anyway...

I think part of it was the greater emphasis on image. It was always a part of rock, no matter how much the dinosaurs grumbled when MTV came along. But once MTV became more important than radio for promotion, the emphasis on the visual elevated and rewarded the slight. As Jello sang in "MTV Get Off the Air," "There's something I don't like about a band that always smiles."
In my mind and in my car
We can't rewind we've gone too far
Pictures came and broke your heart
Put the blame on VCR

If I'm not mistaken, the first video ever played on MTV. Not sure was it meant to be an act of irony or not.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 12:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 12:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Anyway...

In my mind and in my car
We can't rewind we've gone too far
Pictures came and broke your heart
Put the blame on VCR

If I'm not mistaken, the first video ever played on MTV. Not sure was it meant to be an act of irony or not.
Yup, the famous first video, meant to be a warning to radio that its time was over. Who pays attention to what the lyrics mean, tho (e.g., “Born in the USA”)?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Anyway...

Proof that something can be hot and cold at the same time.

A steaming pile of shit and a stone cold turd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia