Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Flex & Wolt's Thread of Truckliness

Post by Wolter »

Wolter wrote:Fuck. Yes.

I just wiped a tear of joy from my pet bald eagle's eye. Then I killed the pussy and deep fried his crying ass.
Which also describes this:

http://www.heavy.com/specials/5-things- ... an-archive
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Now that reports are swirling that NASA is having more than even its usual share of budget issues, that we’re going to privatize space travel, and President Bush’s trip to Mars might not happen, we should take a really big step back and look at what we did, as a Nation, forty years ago.

We took our best and brightest pilots, aviators, and Marines, and crammed them into tiny boxes about the size of a Honda Civic. Then we put that Civic on top of a stack of explosives almost 400 feet tall and shot them into space.

Go outside and look at the moon. Or wait until it gets dark, and then go outside and look at the moon. That’s 240,000 miles away. 30 times the size of the Earth itself. 240,000 miles of inky black nothing between here and there. And yet, we put dudes on the moon.

Not once, not twice, but six times. That’s comic book bullshit. If someone fell into a coma in 1960 and he wakes up today and asks you “what did I miss?” and you tell him “we landed some guys on the moon” he is going to punch you in the face.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

TRUCKLY BOWIE:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:TRUCKLY BOWIE:
Oh. Hell. Yes.

This also explains the "country" version of "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" he was doing a few years ago live.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:TRUCKLY BOWIE:
Oh. Hell. Yes.

This also explains the "country" version of "Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)" he was doing a few years ago live.
What? And you make fun of my guy for being a fake coal miner?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

There's a difference between acting a theatrical role and pretending to be the voice of the working class, Hoy.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:There's a difference between acting a theatrical role and pretending to be the voice of the working class, Hoy.
There's also a difference between rocking the 80's and having sex with Mick Jagger.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:There's a difference between acting a theatrical role and pretending to be the voice of the working class, Hoy.
There's also a difference between rocking the 80's and having sex with Mick Jagger.
You think that bothers me, but it really doesn't. Also, Bruce Dadrocked the 80s.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
You think that bothers me, but it really doesn't. Also, Bruce Dadrocked the 80s.
Does it bother which decade Bowie chose to come back in?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
He had to do SOMETHING to fight the rampant mediocrity. At least he didn't wait until the worst act of domestic terrorism in American history to step up and write a mediocre rock song cash-in.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
He had to do SOMETHING to fight the rampant mediocrity. At least he didn't wait until the worst act of domestic terrorism in American history to step up and write a mediocre rock song cash-in.
Hey, Bruce owned this last decade. That's a comeback. Doing some song and having Trent Reznor redo it and sing on top of it, that's a come back I suppose if you are coming back from this:

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Hey, Bruce owned this last decade.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Wipes away tear)

Oh, Fool. You deserve extra mutton for your japery.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:Hey, Bruce owned this last decade.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Wipes away tear)

Oh, Fool. You deserve extra mutton for your japery.
Okay, "owned" was a bit strong but I think after the so so at best 90's, Bruce came out with five thematically linked but different and often challenging records accompanied by successful tours that found him at his loosest yet. Then he played one of the better superbowl half time shows. For his age, that's pretty admirable.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Sure. Sure. But one could say the same of Bowie's albums from 1995-2004. They're respectable late career works, don't hold a candle to his earlier stuff, but then again, NOTHING does.

Sure he didn't tour as much or do a Superbowl, but frankly, I'm none too impressed by that sort of fame. Bowie's got his fingers in all sorts of artistic pies (including probably the greatest cameo in the history of Extras), and I'm just glad some time in the late 90s or so he said "shit, I'm past 50 - time to stop hopping from genre to genre like I did when in was in my 20s and 30s and stick to making solid albums again."

What I've seen of the Reality Tour (from the DVD) is a pretty damn solid live performer whose voice was practically unchanged from 25 years previous. Shame he had that heart attack and withdrew from performing for a bit.

So I'd say it was a push. Without the aging boomer support, Bruce would be no more successful in the last decade.

And arguing opinion is kinda stupid. I mean, you think you're right, I know I am, and whose minds are we really gonna change.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:Sure. Sure. But one could say the same of Bowie's albums from 1995-2004. They're respectable late career works, don't hold a candle to his earlier stuff, but then again, NOTHING does.

Sure he didn't tour as much or do a Superbowl, but frankly, I'm none too impressed by that sort of fame. Bowie's got his fingers in all sorts of artistic pies (including probably the greatest cameo in the history of Extras), and I'm just glad some time in the late 90s or so he said "shit, I'm past 50 - time to stop hopping from genre to genre like I did when in was in my 20s and 30s and stick to making solid albums again."

What I've seen of the Reality Tour (from the DVD) is a pretty damn solid live performer whose voice was practically unchanged from 25 years previous. Shame he had that heart attack and withdrew from performing for a bit.

So I'd say it was a push. Without the aging boomer support, Bruce would be no more successful in the last decade.

And arguing opinion is kinda stupid. I mean, you think you're right, I know I am, and whose minds are we really gonna change.
Okay I made this all serious and stuff which changes what I ultimately mean to convey. I meant he had a very strong career resurgence regardless of Bowie's work in the recent years where as before I was facetiously comparing their comebacks of Bowie's 90's and Bruce's 00's.

As far the boomer support, no doubt that's the crux of his live support but I'd say his critical resurgence also had a lot to do with younger bands showing interest in his classic work (which has never been a problem for Bowie since he will always be something Bruce will never be - cool). Arcade Fire covered State Trooper and appeared on stage with him, The Killers practically made an entire album of Bruce rip off material (although I quite enjoy Read My Mind), and pitchfork reviewed his last three albums as well as the Essential comp and the Born to Run 30th anniversary box which is not a boomer focused site at all.