What.cd

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

What.cd

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Is anyone a member of this site? There's a torrent of a leaked copy of the new Wire album there, but the site is invite only. The album won't be released till after I see them, and I'd love to get a preview of the material.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Re: What.cd

Post by CorwoodRep »

I'm still on the prowl for invites, myself. I'm on waffles.fm, but it's supposedly not as good.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hmm, I don't have access to the website but if someone, uh, somehow attained this new Wire album... well, I wouldn't say "no" to a copy of it. That's for sure.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Hmm, I don't have access to the website but if someone, uh, somehow attained this new Wire album... well, I wouldn't say "no" to a copy of it. That's for sure.
I'll definitely put word out if I'm successful, don't worry. If I can't get a copy within a week, then it'll be late July when the cd actually does come out. Wire's usually pretty cool about some extra freebie—a live disc, a pin, an autographed photo—when you order directly from pinkflag.com. So it's not like I'm not going to be sending them my money.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

The new album was on a few blogs just a few days ago but has already been removed due to copyright laws and the usual stuff like that :(

I'm was looking forward to hearing it too
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dirty Harry wrote:The new album was on a few blogs just a few days ago but has already been removed due to copyright laws and the usual stuff like that :(

Yeah, I found it on one but was too late.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:The new album was on a few blogs just a few days ago but has already been removed due to copyright laws and the usual stuff like that :(

Same here, Mind you i had my doubts about what the new album would sound like without bruce but after hearing 'One Of Us' i can't wait to hear it now.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dirty Harry wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Same here, Mind you i had my doubts about what the new album would sound like without bruce but after hearing 'One Of Us' i can't wait to hear it now.
I tend to regard Bruce as the crucial element that gave Wire it's edge. I'm only so-so on Read & Burn 3 and while "One of Us" is a decent pop tune, it doesn't seem all that Wire-like to me. My suspicion is that the new album will sound mostly like A Bell Is a Cup, which, while alright, is the least jarring and creative Wire album in their catalogue.

almo
Dirty Punk

Post by almo »

I would also be interested in an invite if anyone has more than one. Since OiNK has gone under, I'm stuck when it comes to new music.

I'd be willing to pay for an invite in handjobs. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Pssst …
Hookworm, because of this I'm giving you back.... 5 of your left nuts. Thanks.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Pssst …
Hookworm, because of this I'm giving you back.... 5 of your left nuts. Thanks.
Fuckin' Olaf—those were for him and him alone.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It pains me very much to say that, after three spins, I find Object 47 a most underwhelming album. Easily the least Wire-like album they've put out. Every other Wire album felt and sounded like nothing else around, even some of the late 80s efforts to gain some chart success. There's really nothing about the new one that seems different whatsoever. It's competent and listenable, a few tracks really stand out in that regard, but it really doesn't bend my head one bit. I hope they sell a gazillion copies to make up for the lack of sales on previous albums, but I am nevertheless bummed out.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:It pains me very much to say that, after three spins, I find Object 47 a most underwhelming album. Easily the least Wire-like album they've put out. Every other Wire album felt and sounded like nothing else around, even some of the late 80s efforts to gain some chart success. There's really nothing about the new one that seems different whatsoever. It's competent and listenable, a few tracks really stand out in that regard, but it really doesn't bend my head one bit. I hope they sell a gazillion copies to make up for the lack of sales on previous albums, but I am nevertheless bummed out.
Thanks for the spoiler ;)

I have yet to listen to it, but luckily (I guess) I'm not quite as avid a Wire fan as you (yet), so maybe some of this will sound a little fresher to me.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:It pains me very much to say that, after three spins, I find Object 47 a most underwhelming album. Easily the least Wire-like album they've put out. Every other Wire album felt and sounded like nothing else around, even some of the late 80s efforts to gain some chart success. There's really nothing about the new one that seems different whatsoever. It's competent and listenable, a few tracks really stand out in that regard, but it really doesn't bend my head one bit. I hope they sell a gazillion copies to make up for the lack of sales on previous albums, but I am nevertheless bummed out.
Thanks for the spoiler ;)

I have yet to listen to it, but luckily (I guess) I'm not quite as avid a Wire fan as you (yet), so maybe some of this will sound a little fresher to me.
My opinion is shaped by my very pro-Bruce (Gilbert) leanings. Which is to say, I'm of the opinion that is noise tendencies were crucial elements in Wire sounding unlike most anything else. If you've heard Colin's other current group, Githead, the Bruce-less Wire sounds a lot like them, tho less electronicky. And, don't get me wrong, this is by no means an unlistenable work, just that it doesn't measure up the bar set by previous Wire albums. Put even more crudely, there ain't nothin' weird goin' on in Object 47.