Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: The Finals - The Pogues vs The Waitresses

General music discussion.

Vote For Your Top Song to WIN

Poll ended at 25 Dec 2022, 6:19am

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
67%
The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
33%

Total votes: 18

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: The Finals - The Pogues vs The Waitresses

Post by Flex »

Sorry for the slight delay in getting this posted, as a result this means the poll will run into (very early, for some of us) Christmas morning.

Here it is. The big matchup. Two songs that have gone toe to toe with some this board's favorite Christmas music. But in the end there can only be one. Both of these songs were, I'm sure, heavy favorites from the start to reach this point. Let's we what happens!

Poll will run until Sunday, Christmas morning, around 3:20am Mountain Time.

The Pogues vs The Waitresses

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York (nominated by Olaf) 13 votes

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping (nominated by JennyB) 6 votes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: The Finals - The Pogues vs The Waitresses

Post by Dr. Medulla »

No shame in second place here, Waitresses, but, again, abuse and debasement are superior Christmas themes.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: The Finals - The Pogues vs The Waitresses

Post by Flex »

The Pogues/Waitresses matchup is an interesting one because they're two very different songs in flavor. I think if the Ramones or Darlene had won out you'd be matching up with the Pogues on similar turf: songs of damaged relationships, heartbreak and loss during Christmas - even as each song is doing something different.

Christmas Wrapping, by contrast, is an affirmative song of love and connection. Not surprising to see the early results come in as they are so far, but I wonder if this is the best song to surprise with an upset - maybe there are enough folks ready to embrace the upbeat sunniness of Christmas Wrapping.

(Not me tho, I voted for the Christmastime in the gutter song)

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

It's tightening up a little folks! Waitresses fans: if you want to make a run for the crown, speak now! This is all GOTV at this point!

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I see that its probably going to win this thing in spite of my vote and that's cool and all but for me, I just don't feel anything special about the Pogues' song. Don't know why, I don't dislike them at all, but this song would never make any playlist I would ever use.
Merry Christmas to all.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I remember hearing "Christmas Wrapping" 40 years ago on the radio, so it's got more sentimental pull to me as well as my vote.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Fairytale is solidly leading but Christmas wrapping is in spitting distance - time for the Waitresses partisans to make their case!

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I like Christmas Wrapping but the music is too summery to make it work as well as the best Christmas songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

The final hours of voting are upon us! If you haven't voted yet, enjoy your Christmas Eve dinner, crack open your preferred beverage, and then participate in Real Democracy for Christmas!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We have always preferred scumbags, maggots, and junkies.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Dec 2022, 7:32am
We have always preferred scumbags, maggots, and junkies.
I wouldn't want to associate with people who didnt.

Flex

Post by Flex »

A very decisively victory for a great, worthy song. Thanks everyone for playing! Hope this was a nice amusement for the last couple weeks. I know I enjoyed listening to these songs and really thinking about them.

Merry Christmas folks! Go have a degenerate day out there!

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Cheers Flex for a well run and entertaining contest and a most worthy winner. One small interesting sidenote: the song, with 38%, that put it most up to FONY in the knock out stages was.....Annie. Still surprised, and a little chuffed, that song performed as well as it did, though not without its detractors!

Happy xmas one and all.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Many thanks for running this thing, Flexy. Lots of fun and a worthy winner obviously. :mrgreen:

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Attachments
4828.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?