Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Semifinals - The Pogues vs The Kinks

General music discussion.

Vote For Your Top Song To Advance

Poll ended at 22 Dec 2022, 1:45am

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
72%
The Kinks - Father Christmas
28%

Total votes: 18

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Semifinals - The Pogues vs The Kinks

Post by Flex »

Wow, can't believe we're in the last week. Fuckin' Christmas is a week away folks! and that means we need to continue this Scientifically Verified and Clinically Accurate method for determining the Greatest Christmas Song of All Time. Capitalizing Lots Of Words. Anyways.

The last round ended with a couple tight races and one tie. So there's gonna be yet another steamy threeway competition here. Group-based seeding is over now. It's just top vote getters vs bottom vote getters (with percentage of the vote won in a round used in the case where multiple songs got the same number of votes). Vote early, vote often. This round ends around 10:45 pm mountain time on Wednesday.

The Pogues vs The Kinks

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York (nominated by Olaf) 6 votes/67%

The Kinks - Father Christmas (nominated by revbob) 5 votes/45%
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Semifinals - The Pogues vs The Kinks

Post by Silent Majority »

The Pogues song has more depth & emotion, it resounds down the ages in a way that the Kinks weren't interested in doing with their Christmas song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Semifinals - The Pogues vs The Kinks

Post by Dr. Medulla »

At Christmas, always vote for despair and degeneracy.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 7:30am
I've said before the best xmas songs involve drinking fighting and fucking. Actually that's basically the formula for a good song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 8:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've said before the best xmas songs involve drinking fighting and fucking. Actually that's basically the formula for a good song.
I've heard tell that songs about travelling to alien worlds with different women is a very successful theme. :shifty:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 8:33am
revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 8:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've heard tell that songs about travelling to alien worlds with different women is a very successful theme. :shifty:
It certainly falls under the fucking ... category. Im tempted to follow up on that but no point in rehashing it again.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I love the Kinks song - it's a blast. But The Pogues song is a heart wrenching and heartfelt dynamo. There's a reason it's fully transcended into the Christmas Canon.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Bumping this thread. More, ah, lopsided than the other open poll but you never know what can happen...

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 3:03pm
Bumping this thread. More, ah, lopsided than the other open poll but you never know what can happen...
I nominated the Kinks song but therewould have been several instances where I would not have voted for it, this being one of them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 3:03pm
Absolutely nobody was preparing newspapers with the headline, "Kinks Beat Pogues."

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 3:43pm
Absolutely nobody was preparing newspapers with the headline, "Kinks Beat Pogues."

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 3:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 3:43pm
Damn, I meant to say defeat not beat!