Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Annie Lennox vs The Pogues

General music discussion.

Vote For Your Top Song To Advance

Poll ended at 16 Dec 2022, 1:02am

Annie Lennox - In the Bleak Midwinter
38%
The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
63%

Total votes: 16

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Annie Lennox vs The Pogues

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:57pm
I'll join Maj and cop to voting for Annie here. We need at least one song that taps into the old, weird Christmas and with Doc's selections off the board this one's it.
See I think FONY does that all while also pissing on it. My forever favorite I think.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Annie Lennox vs The Pogues

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 7:20pm
It's not really that close, but it's a hell of a lot closer than I imagined it would be. I had considered Fairytale one of the biggest beasts of this competition at the outset, now I'm not so sure tbh.
I'm likely to be less spikily contrarian to myself with FONY going forwards, so it'll pick up at least one vote for the next round.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 5:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 7:20pm
It's not really that close, but it's a hell of a lot closer than I imagined it would be. I had considered Fairytale one of the biggest beasts of this competition at the outset, now I'm not so sure tbh.
I'm likely to be less spikily contrarian to myself with FONY going forwards, so it'll pick up at least one vote for the next round.
I'm a very likely supporter going forward too. I have an issue with it in terms of how over exposed to it I've been over the decades - owing mostly to the fact I listen to up to 7-8 hours radio daily - but that's entirely my bag. Objectively, I remain capable of recognising it for the sturdy classic it's always been.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

See in the US FONY gets little if any exposure. I dont think the Pogues ever made it beyond college radio over here. I could walk down the street here and ask people about the song and I guarantee it would be few and far between.

My point being no over exposure here.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 9:11am
See in the US
FONY gets little if any exposure. I dont think the Pogues ever made it beyond college radio over here. I could walk down the street here and ask people about the song and I guarantee it would be few and far between.

That's cos we have better taste over here where Xmas songs are concerned. Credit to the populace over here for making a song like FTONY such a perennial standard.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
See in the US FONY gets little if any exposure. I dont think the Pogues ever made it beyond college radio over here. I could walk down the street here and ask people about the song and I guarantee it would be few and far between.

I don't think this is really true anymore. It features in soundtracks to Christmas rom-coms and such and I hear it on the radio. There are articles written about how it's the greatest Christmas song of all time. I wouldn't say it's as exposed as it is in Limeyville, but it's an acknowledged Christmas standard here now imho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 9:42am
revbob wrote:

I don't think this is really true anymore. It features in soundtracks to Christmas rom-coms and such and I hear it on the radio. There are articles written about how it's the greatest Christmas song of all time. I wouldn't say it's as exposed as on Terf Island, but it's an acknowledged Christmas standard here now imho.
Fair enough. Im not one to traffic in these sorts of things and ive largely given up on radio beyond npr and college or community radio. So perhaps Ive insulated myself into a self fulfilling bubble.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 9:27am
That's cos we have better taste over here where Xmas songs are concerned.
Counterpoint:

Whatever the merits of its purpose, it's a flat-out awful song.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 10:04am
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

Awful, awful song.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

Hard agree. We Are The World pisses all over it :twitch:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

Maaayyybe. WAtW is even more slick and soulless to my ears, but it’s really a crab juice/Mountain Dew thing. (Definitely worse is Canada’s “Tears Are Not Enough.” How such a fine impulse could generate such horrid music is an ugly irony.)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 10:55am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

Maaayyybe. WAtW is even more slick and soulless to my ears, but it’s really a crab juice/Mountain Dew thing. (Definitely worse is Canada’s “Tears Are Not Enough.” How such a fine impulse could generate such horrid music is an ugly irony.)
The fucking egos involved could only create a horrible outcome.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 11:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 10:55am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

The fucking egos involved could only create a horrible outcome.
The only virtue is that it’s meant to work like a commercial jingle, which is to get you to give money for something. So, yeah, sure. But I also don’t like hearing the McDonald’s jingle as a song either.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

I don't think I've ever heard them speak on the double meaning of the name. A Band-Aid. How conscious were Geldof & Ure? This is a plaster that might help a little bit, but really we, as coked-up egomaniacs, can't do much, that's really the role of a government.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Counterpoint:

I don't think the melody is that bad but yeah, an awful lyric. Still miles better than We Are the World as mentioned above.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board