Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Joey Ramone vs Darlene Love

General music discussion.

Vote For Your Top Song To Advance

Poll ended at 16 Dec 2022, 1:02am

Joey Ramone - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
29%
Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
71%

Total votes: 14

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Joey Ramone vs Darlene Love

Post by Flex »

Okay, for the round of 17 the seeding works thusly: highest vote getter in group a gets lowest vote getter in group b, second highest gets second lowest, etc. Same goes for Group C and D. I'll note if I had to change any match-up for some reason (I want to avoid nominations from the same person squaring off against each other for as long as possible, mainly).

The voting is simply now. Just vote for the song you want to see advance. This poll will run until Thursday evening.

(I will add that I didn't manipulate this matchup to happen, but I was hoping it would. The battle of the Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) versions, should be epic.

Joey Ramone vs Darlene Love

Joey Ramone - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (nominated by revbob) 11 votes

Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (nominated by Flex) 10 votes

"The most epic song on the most epic Christmas album of all time. The instrumentation, the vocals, the heartbreakingly perfect seasonal lyrics, this all adds up to not just one of the best Christmas songs of all time, but one of the best songs of all time period."
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Joey Ramone vs Darlene Love

Post by Silent Majority »

What are you doing to us?! Alright, man, you’ve forced my hand, I simply can’t choose Joey singing this even though he’s one of the vocalists who sit closest to my heart. Darlene’s belting of this song is simply one of the world-stopping performances as captured by a microphone and Joey’s sincere and lovely tribute can’t get near it. The musicians are amazing on the Spector version, as is that villain’s arrangement.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: Round of 17 - Joey Ramone vs Darlene Love

Post by Flex »

Hmmm, I love both these versions. Gonna stick with Darlene here, who I think still does the definitive version here. and I'll say this: I am quite certain Joey would agree with me.

The other matchups I haven't commented on today require much more of a think from me (and I welcome any arguments in favor of against to help me make up my mind), so I'll get to those tomorrow.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!