Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: PKs - The Beatles vs Tom Waits!

General music discussion.

Vote For Your Top Song To Advance

Poll ended at 12 Dec 2022, 3:58pm

The Beatles - Christmas Time (Is Here Again)
50%
Tom Waits - Silent Night
50%

Total votes: 14

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: PKs - The Beatles vs Tom Waits!

Post by Flex »

Okay folks, Group B has one more slot for a song to advance and we had a tie (6 votes a piece) between The Beatles' Christmas Time (Is Here Again) and Tom Waits' Silent Night. Vote for the song you want to see advance. That's it. Poll runs until Monday December 12th, 12:58pm mountain time. Here are the songs for people who want to refresh their memories:

The Beatles - Christmas Time (Is Here Again) (nominated by weller259)

"MY all-time favorite Christmas song by the Fab Four. A Must-have."

Tom Waits - Silent Night (nominated by Low Down Low)

I am genuinely fascinated to see what happens here. I really struggled between these two songs last round.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: PKs - The Beatles vs Tom Waits!

Post by Silent Majority »

Apologies to Weller259, but it has to be Tom
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex's Ultimate 25 Days of Christmas (Songs) World Cup: PKs - The Beatles vs Tom Waits!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Beatles, as they say, eight days a week.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'm sticking with my vote for Waits here, as I did last round, but I just want to say that listening to the Beatles track several more times for this competition reveals new pleasures with each iteration. At the end of the day, I still think Waits is just doing something that carries more emotional and artistic heft, but what a fun track the Beatles made here. It's actually really a shame that it hasn't found its way to a proper "canon" release.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im also kicking myself for not nominating a Sonics or Mojo Nixon track.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 11:14pm
Im also kicking myself for not nominating a Sonics or Mojo Nixon track.
Birthday boy already got four!

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

BTW, if this ends up in a tie both songs will be eliminated and the song it would have matched up with will just get a bye for the next round. So get voting folks!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 12:01pm
BTW, if this ends up in a tie both songs will be eliminated and the song it would have matched up with will just get a bye for the next round. So get voting folks!
Stop the steal!

Flex

Post by Flex »

About 30 minutes left to vote for anyone interested (although we're no longer tied so feel free to engage in some principled abstentionism too, if you prefer)!

I'll have the next round up this afternoon/evening as childcare duties allow.

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Never heard this Beatles song before, it's really not good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 3:46pm
For most of the year they were a band, the Beatles would do "fan club" records where they would record silly messages and whatnot for members of the Beatles fan club which would be distributed as 7 inches. Very disposable fluff and one year they did this impromptu ditty. I find it very charming in the context of what it is.

Faux Addendum: when you listen to the fan club records sequently it's funny to note that over time they get odder and odder. A fun little parallel with the band's evolution.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 3:48pm
matedog wrote:
For most of the year they were a band, the Beatles would do "fan club" records where they would record silly messages and whatnot for members of the Beatles fan club which would be distributed as 7 inches. Very disposable fluff and one year they did this impromptu ditty. I find it very charming in the context of what it is.
That's fine and good, but shouldn't we be discussing this in relation to the all time greats? Not nominated by Jackson 5's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is miles ahead of this quality wise, let alone like fifty other songs I could easily think of. The hook is terrible and they just keep going to it. This seems like an obvious prelude to that horrible McCartney Christmas song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 3:51pm
Flex wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 3:48pm
matedog wrote:
That's fine and good, but shouldn't we be discussing this in relation to the all time greats? Not nominated by Jackson 5's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is miles ahead of this quality wise, let alone like fifty other songs I could easily think of. The hook is terrible and they just keep going to it. This seems like an obvious prelude to that horrible McCartney Christmas song.
This, uh, isn't anything official or world-changing. It's a goofy exercise in community. Tho I suppose half the fun is seeing people get up in arms, so I guess you're fulfilling part of it. But, seriously, it won't make it past the next stage.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Looks like I've saved this board from itself once again by voting for Waits to bring us to a tie.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 3:51pm
Well, I voted for the Waits song, I was just providing some background on the song and what makes it fun.

Pex Lives!