Bosstones break up

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Bosstones break up

Post by Wolter »

I will say it was very funny to learn that as of this morning I (a regular person of very few accomplishments) had 57 times as many followers on Twitter as the frontman of what was at one time one of, if not THE most popular ska band on the world.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Outstanding stuff but sadly not a surprise. I have a ton of good memories of Bosstones shows but Dicky was always a bit of a douche bag with his head way up his own ass.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I did a little more snooping and it's DEFINITELY him. Anyways, he's continuing to respond to me so heres my latest response to him:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 12:59am
I did a little more snooping and it's DEFINITELY him. Anyways, he's continuing to respond to me so heres my latest response to him:
Dicky took his ball and went home.

"This Tweet was deleted by the Tweet author."

Pretty typical of his type. That group from the Boston scene that got a little too into ice hockey have been tilting to the right for years.

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:13am

Pretty typical of his type. That group from the Boston scene that got a little too into ice hockey have been tilting to the right for years.
Lol, total cowardice.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:16am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Lol, total cowardice.
Perhaps you broke thru and he's truly remorseful, taking some time to re-evaluate his beliefs. :shifty:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:22am
Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Lol, total cowardice.
Perhaps you broke thru and he's truly remorseful, taking some time to re-evaluate his beliefs. :shifty:
As always: fighting on Twitter gets results!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Lol, total cowardice.
I think it's because it promotes nuance and matters of principle instead of ego and status.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:07am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Lol, total cowardice.
I think it's because it promotes nuance and matters of principle instead of ego and status.
Real democracy at work. Norman Rockwell would do an updated version of his town meeting painting to show people tweeting if he were alive today. But still with no BIPOC people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:07am
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Lol, total cowardice.
Real democracy at work. Norman Rockwell would do an updated version of his town meeting painting to show people tweeting if he were alive today. But still with no BIPOC people.
Martin Luther King Jr's "Tweets from a Birmingham Jail" are awesome. Especially when he blocked Bull Connor and the police department. Totally changed the course of the CRM.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dicky Barrett continues his descent into hard right one world government anti-semitic-adjacent (at least) batshittery: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/22/ ... ine-views/

Curious what "luminaries" are okay working with a guy like this now. Seeing those photos of the interrupters, Tim Armstrong, and the specials palling around Dicky right after he broke up his band over vaccinations was a bad enough look.

Glad to hear Dicky confirm the rest of the band uniformly didn't want anything to do with his insanity, at least. Makes it a little easier to keep listening to those records.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 10:16am
Dicky Barrett continues his descent into hard right one world government anti-semitic-adjacent (at least) batshittery: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/22/ ... ine-views/

Curious what "luminaries" are okay working with a guy like this now. Seeing those photos of the interrupters, Tim Armstrong, and the specials palling around Dicky right after he broke up his band over vaccinations was a bad enough look.

Glad to hear Dicky confirm the rest of the band uniformly didn't want anything to do with his insanity, at least. Makes it a little easier to keep listening to those records.
One thing about the emergence of Trumpy fascism and the pandemic is that it's helped draw a firm line amongst those who listen to dissenting music (that's a lame phrase, I know, but I'm trying to get across a wider net than "punk"). There are those who are drawn to it because it represents or nourishes their own views for a better world, and those who want to just resist whatever is conventional. The former is rooted in hope, the latter is just endlessly cynical.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Ahh, so here's Dicky Barrett's new band, The Defiant: https://www.thedefiantofficial.com/

Yeah, of course that's the name. And yeah, of course it's a "supergroup" including the Offspring's drummer who got kicked out of the band for also being an anti-vax psychopath. Also, lol, the smash mouth guitarist and (sadly, since it obviously means he's an anti-vax fuck too) Johnny Rioux. Joey La Rocca is in it too, but I can't say I care about that since the Briggs have always been mid at best.

Besides the language of the announcement that's so self-congratulatory it's hard to imagine how they got it all typed out like that while they were sucking their own dicks so hard, they obviously plan to push their far-right anti-vax conspiracy bullshit with their promises (threats?) to be dialogue-provoking and assuring us they're all on the same page with their life philosophies means these guys are probably well on their way to being Alex Jones' new house band whenever they want the gig.

On the other hand, their insta has a clip of one of their new songs and it's pretty much just generic pablum. Musically, it sounds like dicky barrett is doing guest vocals on a smash mouth song (especially in the horrid chorus), but one where they decided not to try to write any hooks. So that's a great formula. Anyways, best of luck, shitheads.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 12:56am
Ahh, so here's Dicky Barrett's new band, The Defiant: https://www.thedefiantofficial.com/

Yeah, of course that's the name. And yeah, of course it's a "supergroup" including the Offspring's drummer who got kicked out of the band for also being an anti-vax psychopath. Also, lol, the smash mouth guitarist and (sadly, since it obviously means he's an anti-vax fuck too) Johnny Rioux. Joey La Rocca is in it too, but I can't say I care about that since the Briggs have always been mid at best.

Besides the language of the announcement that's so self-congratulatory it's hard to imagine how they got it all typed out like that while they were sucking their own dicks so hard, they obviously plan to push their far-right anti-vax conspiracy bullshit with their promises (threats?) to be dialogue-provoking and assuring us they're all on the same page with their life philosophies means these guys are probably well on their way to being Alex Jones' new house band whenever they want the gig.

On the other hand, their insta has a clip of one of their new songs and it's pretty much just generic pablum. Musically, it sounds like dicky barrett is doing guest vocals on a smash mouth song (especially in the horrid chorus), but one where they decided not to try to write any hooks. So that's a great formula. Anyways, best of luck, shitheads.
Go listen to The Dan, you bootlicker!

Flex

Post by Flex »

A friend alerted me that the Punk Rock Museum (a concept I find somewhat repulsive on its face) is offering "guided tours" for $100/person with Dicky Barrett in October. Their Instagram post announcing it ended up with 70+ comments, almost all asking wtf they're thinking working with Dicky. Dicky decided to pop in himself, so I addressed some concerns to him, and the comments were all deleted and the post was locked. Lol. Super punk rock. And especially rich since Barrett goes around claiming he just wants a debate. My contempt and disdain for him somehow grows every time he pops up somewhere.

Anyways, here's what I said to dicky (he may have responded - I'd gone to bed - but that will be lost to time since the museum deleted everything sometime overnight. I had a bunch of alerts on the my phone in the morning, so it must have gotten a LITTLE interesting)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230803-235222.png

Pex Lives!