The Manic Street Preachers Discussion MegaThread

General music discussion.
Guest1

Re: Rank the first five Manic Street Preachers records-90s Era

Post by Guest1 »

Removables may sound out of place due to the huge difference in production styles. You can omit that one if you want.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 9:02pm
Removables may sound out of place due to the huge difference in production styles. You can omit that one if you want.
Or simply Remove it. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Alright I’m incredibly bipolar on these things. I flip flop back and forth. During peak manics fandom i loved everything they did. I recently re-listened to their 2000s era and here’s my take in no particular order:

Know Your Enemy:
There’s definitely a good single record here. I kind of wish they went full out balls to the wall rock a la Masses Against the Classes but so be it. Found that soul, intravenous agnostic, dead martyrs all fucking rock. Baby Ellian, So Why So Sad, and Let Robeson Sing are also fantastic. My ranking on this one C+

Lifeblood:
I’ve always had a soft spot for this record. It’s probably least manicsy thing they ever did but I love it all the same. Nicky Wire described it as elegiac pop, or the holy Bible for 30 year olds and that’s exactly what it is. It’s the perfect winter sitting inside with a cup of tea sort of record. The only song that falls short for me is I live to fall asleep. That song just sounds way too much like Keane for me. Overall I give this one a B+

Send Away the Tigers:
A return to rock yes, but the songwriting quality definitely went down here. It’s not even as if the band was in decline though. They just so happened to relegate the best songs of the era to B side status. Here’s what my ideal track listening would have been:
Send Away the Tigers
Welcome to the Deadzone (B side)
Boxes and Lists (B Side)
Your Love Alone (is not enough)
Second Great Depression
Rendition
Love letter to the Future (B Side)
Leviathan (B Side)
Autumnsong
Anorexic Rodin (B Side)
Fearless Punk Ballad (B Side)
You Know it’s Going to Hurt/The vortices(B Side)

Couldn’t decide on which to included for the outro but there’s so many good B sides from that era. Heyday of the blood is also a banger. They could have released an A record.

Journal for Plague Lovers:
A masterpiece as far as I’m concerned A+.

Postcards From A Young Man:
A bit overwrought with the overdubs. Still songwriting is tip top on this one. I’ll give it a solid B-

Rewind the Film:
Beautiful record. My favorite track is I Miss the Tokyo skyline that intro is absolutely fucking gorgeous. But yeah the entire album is treat to listen to. A-

Futurology:
Tapers off a bit at the end. Also have a bit of a gripe with the production. It feels a little sterile and pro toolsy. I know they were inspired by post punk on this one so I wish they kind of gave it that gritty early 80s feel with analog synths and such. Still a pretty good record: B-

Resistance is Futile:
Really in Dad Rock Territory here. Some of the songs are good but I really wish they continued in the more experimental direction they went in via RTF and Futurology. I love how they copped the vocal melody from Creepy by Stone Temple Pilots for Liverpool Revisited. I give this record a C.

What’s y’all opinion?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 4:58am
Alright I’m incredibly bipolar on these things. I flip flop back and forth. During peak manics fandom i loved everything they did. I recently re-listened to their 2000s era and here’s my take in no particular order:

Know Your Enemy:
There’s definitely a good single record here. I kind of wish they went full out balls to the wall rock a la Masses Against the Classes but so be it. Found that soul, intravenous agnostic, dead martyrs all fucking rock. Baby Ellian, So Why So Sad, and Let Robeson Sing are also fantastic. My ranking on this one C+

Lifeblood:
I’ve always had a soft spot for this record. It’s probably least manicsy thing they ever did but I love it all the same. Nicky Wire described it as elegiac pop, or the holy Bible for 30 year olds and that’s exactly what it is. It’s the perfect winter sitting inside with a cup of tea sort of record. The only song that falls short for me is I live to fall asleep. That song just sounds way too much like Keane for me. Overall I give this one a B+

Send Away the Tigers:
A return to rock yes, but the songwriting quality definitely went down here. It’s not even as if the band was in decline though. They just so happened to relegate the best songs of the era to B side status. Here’s what my ideal track listening would have been:
Send Away the Tigers
Boxes and Lists (B Side)
Second Great Depression
Rendition
Leviathan (B Side)
Autumnsong
Anorexic Rodin (B Side)

Couldn’t decide on which to included for the outro but there’s so many good B sides from that era. Heyday of the blood is also a banger. They could have released an A record.

A bit overwrought with the overdubs. Still songwriting is tip top on this one. I’ll give it a solid B-

Rewind the Film:
Beautiful record. My favorite track is I Miss the Tokyo skyline that intro is absolutely fucking gorgeous. But yeah the entire album is treat to listen to. A-

Futurology:
Tapers off a bit at the end. Also have a bit of a gripe with the production. It feels a little sterile and pro toolsy. I know they were inspired by post punk on this one so I wish they kind of gave it that gritty early 80s feel with analog synths and such. Still a pretty good record: B-

Resistance is Futile:
Really in Dad Rock Territory here. Some of the songs are good but I really wish they continued in the more experimental direction they went in via RTF and Futurology. I love how they copped the vocal melody from Creepy by Stone Temple Pilots for Liverpool Revisited. I give this record a C.

What’s y’all opinion?
I think you've pretty much nailed it. My only difference would be the "dad rock" tag for last album is a touch harsh. However I agree with it needing to be of a more experimental sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 12:48pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Know Your Enemy:

Lifeblood:

Send Away the Tigers:
Send Away the Tigers
Boxes and Lists (B Side)
Second Great Depression
Rendition
Leviathan (B Side)
Autumnsong
Anorexic Rodin (B Side)

Rewind the Film:

Futurology:

Resistance is Futile:

What’s y’all opinion?
I think you've pretty much nailed it. My only difference would be the "dad rock" tag for last album is a touch harsh. However I agree with it needing to be of a more experimental sound.
I’d give Futurology a higher grade, though I understand the criticisms. And I’d probably give Lifeblood a slightly lower one. It’s not as bad as some say but it’s not great.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 2:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Know Your Enemy:

Lifeblood:

Send Away the Tigers:
Send Away the Tigers
Boxes and Lists (B Side)
Second Great Depression
Rendition
Leviathan (B Side)
Autumnsong
Anorexic Rodin (B Side)

Rewind the Film:

Futurology:

Resistance is Futile:

What’s y’all opinion?
I’d give Futurology a higher grade, though I understand the criticisms. And I’d probably give Lifeblood a slightly lower one. It’s not as bad as some say but it’s not great.
They’re very similar records in a way. I think of LB as sort of a proto futurology. Supposedly there exists an alternate version of the album with the synths removed/toned down in the mix in favor of more of a in your face, arena rock type sound. I would be interested in hearing it because certain songs like to repel ghosts has some really lively drumming behind it. I’m hoping their next record has a nice raw sound. Just the three of them playing in a room together with James overdubbing the leads. I’m not expecting THB2. It could be all acoustic for all I care, I just want some of the veneer removed that’s been all over their recent records.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 6:51pm
Wolter wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 2:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Know Your Enemy:

Lifeblood:

Send Away the Tigers:
Send Away the Tigers
Boxes and Lists (B Side)
Second Great Depression
Rendition
Leviathan (B Side)
Autumnsong
Anorexic Rodin (B Side)

Rewind the Film:

Futurology:

Resistance is Futile:

What’s y’all opinion?
They’re very similar records in a way. I think of LB as sort of a proto futurology. Supposedly there exists an alternate version of the album with the synths removed/toned down in the mix in favor of more of a in your face, arena rock type sound. I would be interested in hearing it because certain songs like to repel ghosts has some really lively drumming behind it. I’m hoping their next record has a nice raw sound. Just the three of them playing in a room together with James overdubbing the leads. I’m not expecting THB2. It could be all acoustic for all I care, I just want some of the veneer removed that’s been all over their recent records.
Thanks for these reviews, which have prompted me to revisit some of these. So far my conclusions are that I really haven't listened to Journal for Plague Lovers enough and that Rewind the Film is indeed a beautiful record.

Wolter

Re: The Manic Street Preachers Discussion MegaThread

Post by Wolter »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 1:21pm
https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic-st ... ba-2927272
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 1.19.11 PM.png
My favorite thing the Manics do is come up with a wild description of their new album then make an album that sounds like...well, a manics album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 1:46pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
My favorite thing the Manics do is come up with a wild description of their new album then make an album that sounds like...well, a manics album.
Yeah Nicky is usually full of hot air when it comes to this stuff. Still love it though. It's super rare for a band of this age to still be excited about their own new album material.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:00pm
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Yeah Nicky is usually full of hot air when it comes to this stuff. Still love it though. It's super rare for a band of this age to still be excited about their own new album material.
I should be clear: I genuinely love it. No sarcasm.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Wolter wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:32pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I have no doubt. Do we a have chatroom for this forum? I’d love to do a streaming live listening party for when it comes out. I think we have enough manics fans here. The Forever Delayed manics forum is kinda Meh these days

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I have no doubt. Do we a have chatroom for this forum? I’d love to do a streaming live listening party for when it comes out. I think we have enough manics fans here. The Forever Delayed manics forum is kinda Meh these days
count me in on this one.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

ohsoso wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 4:34pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 2:53pm
Wolter wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Wolter wrote:

count me in on this one.
If not we can always set up a discord server. Might be kind of cool to do like monthly listening parties. Each time it rotates who picks the record.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia