JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 12:06pm
Gimmix wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:50am
JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:08am
Thank you for this tip off. Also, I echo Doc's rec on the Poly bio. It's also visually stunning.
Pleasure. The bio on my reading list, I can look forward to that as well as the docu now!
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:10am
Set the digital vcr to record this on Saturday. Poly plays an integral part in my novel, good to catch the doc for some background while I'm the revisions stage.
Intriguing, can you tell us more?
Yeah it's an exciting project, man. It's about a modern day working class woman in her forties who gets a record player which allows the listener to go back in time to whenever the music was recorded for the 22 minutes of the side. One time. She uses it to try and save her sister who died of a drug overdose twenty years before. The first accidental trip back, a bit of fun before the story absolutely batters her, is an X Ray Spex bootleg and she attends the gig that she'd long loved. It's a section that's all about the fun of live music and sets up the rules.

The other half of the narrative is in mid twentieth century New Orleans, by the way, the tale of the African American music producer genius who built the magic player. I'm dead proud of it.
James - I want to read this! When can we get our hands on it?
Isn't this how Marky actually creates his remasters?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Poly Styrene: I Am A Cliché

Post by revbob »

Interesting story James, Im sold.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Yes, I also want to read it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Really appreciate the interest, you lot; good to know I've got a couple of readers lined up.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 12:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah it's an exciting project, man. It's about a modern day working class woman in her forties who gets a record player which allows the listener to go back in time to whenever the music was recorded for the 22 minutes of the side. One time. She uses it to try and save her sister who died of a drug overdose twenty years before. The first accidental trip back, a bit of fun before the story absolutely batters her, is an X Ray Spex bootleg and she attends the gig that she'd long loved. It's a section that's all about the fun of live music and sets up the rules.

The other half of the narrative is in mid twentieth century New Orleans, by the way, the tale of the African American music producer genius who built the magic player. I'm dead proud of it.
Holy crap, I wasn't completely off-base with the time travel joke. Have you ever read Scarlett Thomas' The End of Mr. Y? It's a novel that plays around (maybe) with the same kind of stuff you're describing.

Also, I'm intrigued by your premise in part because my long-ago abandoned novel idea—abandoned because I can't write fiction to save my life—was something I called Winterland. The idea was of a pre-slacker character attending the Pistols' Winterland show and being haunted throughout his life by the line, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" He realizes that his life has been cheated, but can't figure it out. The novel would have been this quixotic quest for who or what had cheated his life. A very Gen X futile rage kind of thing.
I was thinking about Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? yesterday, as well as his oft-forgotten "Ahaha!" The perfect words, delivered perfectly after doing a gig where he realised that every song he'd spent the last few years writing, recording and performing was actually all about this exact situation right now.
JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 1:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Gimmix wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:50am
JennyB wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:08am
Thank you for this tip off. Also, I echo Doc's rec on the Poly bio. It's also visually stunning.
Pleasure. The bio on my reading list, I can look forward to that as well as the docu now!
Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:10am
Set the digital vcr to record this on Saturday. Poly plays an integral part in my novel, good to catch the doc for some background while I'm the revisions stage.
Intriguing, can you tell us more?

James - I want to read this! When can we get our hands on it?
Thank you! Kit Power and I are on the third draft now, a deposit down on an editor, then we're going to start schlepping the fucker around. We're going to start at the top of the publishing industry - the big 4 or whatever they are now, and keep taking rejections down the pole til we find a home for it. Drop the Needle is the working title we've yet to better.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 5:08pm
I was thinking about Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? yesterday, as well as his oft-forgotten "Ahaha!" The perfect words, delivered perfectly after doing a gig where he realised that every song he'd spent the last few years writing, recording and performing was actually all about this exact situation right now.
Along with the repeated intoning of no fun, no fun, no fun, this is no fun. Couldn't be scripted better.

And, of course, count me amongst those who will be purchasing the special, limited edition version of your novel. :cool:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
Really appreciate the interest, you lot; good to know I've got a couple of readers lined up.
Are we talking ebook or ink and paper?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 6:51pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Definitely both.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 7:22pm
revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 6:51pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Definitely both.
Cool, Im one of those old bastards who clings to the physical.

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

I enjoyed this very much, it was well put together and well delivered. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the contributors appeared in voice only, it's always a shame to have to see them talking from their armchair or wherever while you're desperate to see more footage of the actual subject.

It was fascinating to take a look into Poly's life, albeit sadly blighted by mental health issues. I learned lots of new stuff (I hope SM was taking notes for his book..), saw a few snippets of footage that I hadn't seen before and enjoyed a few beers along the way.

Definitely worth the wait.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Gimmix wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 7:21am
I enjoyed this very much, it was well put together and well delivered. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the contributors appeared in voice only, it's always a shame to have to see them talking from their armchair or wherever while you're desperate to see more footage of the actual subject.

It was fascinating to take a look into Poly's life, albeit sadly blighted by mental health issues. I learned lots of new stuff (I hope SM was taking notes for his book..), saw a few snippets of footage that I hadn't seen before and enjoyed a few beers along the way.

Definitely worth the wait.
Wicked, looking forward to catching up.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've got my eye on the torrent sites to see if anyone recorded and is sharing. So far, no. :meh:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Gimmix
Corner Soul

Post by Gimmix »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 9:49am
I've got my eye on the torrent sites to see if anyone recorded and is sharing. So far, no. :meh:
Sadly I'm unable to record it, I'd love to help out if I could.

It's on again next Friday, maybe someone here in the U.K. can record it for you?
Sky Arts
Fri 12 Mar
11:00pm-1:00am

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Gimmix wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 2:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's on again next Friday, maybe someone here in the U.K. can record it for you?
Sky Arts
Fri 12 Mar
I recorded it but haven't a clue how to upload it. It would be like teaching a dog to juggle.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 2:52pm
Gimmix wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sky Arts
Fri 12 Mar
I recorded it but haven't a clue how to upload it. It would be like teaching a dog to juggle.
Unless you recorded it straight to your computer, you probably can't. DVR boxes are usually encoded to prevent piracy.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 2:58pm
Heston wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 2:52pm
Gimmix wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sky Arts
Fri 12 Mar
Unless you recorded it straight to your computer, you probably can't. DVR boxes are usually encoded to prevent piracy.
Yeah, it's on my Sky box.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board