So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK?!!!!!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 8:49pm
Is this a good fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck or a bad fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 9:37pm
Kory wrote:
Good—I quite liked it. A very interesting/new drum tone for Rob, too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 11:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Like hitting garbage can lids—very metallic sounding.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:27am
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2017, 11:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Like hitting garbage can lids—very metallic sounding.
As usual, though, I'll be interested to see if they have some more wide-ranging diversity across the album.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 4:20pm
As usual, though, I'll be interested to see if they have some more wide-ranging diversity across the album.
Don't count on it. I think we're well past Wire producing something truly cutting edge and baffling or challenging (for all its weaknesses, Manscape is probably the last time that happened). Send was the last time they put out something aggressive and semi-against type. Instead, they've settled into being good at putting out Wire-inspired records, if that makes sense. Very listenable records—on the whole, more so than the entire Mute run—but they're less about exploring or exploding their identity than confirming and consolidating it. Which is fine to me. They've earned the right to be satisfied and I'm not going to be disappointed that they don't produce another 154.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 4:41pm
Kory wrote:
Don't count on it. I think we're well past Wire producing something truly cutting edge and baffling or challenging (for all its weaknesses, Manscape is probably the last time that happened). Send was the last time they put out something aggressive and semi-against type. Instead, they've settled into being good at putting out Wire-inspired records, if that makes sense. Very listenable records—on the whole, more so than the entire Mute run—but they're less about exploring or exploding their identity than confirming and consolidating it. Which is fine to me. They've earned the right to be satisfied and I'm not going to be disappointed that they don't produce another 154.
I'm not necessarily looking for innovation, I'd just like them to do more songs that aren't just strumming four chords for equal amounts of time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 6:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm not necessarily looking for innovation, I'd just like them to do more songs that aren't just strumming four chords for equal amounts of time.
Probably not going to happen. It's fundamentally Colin's group now, so we don't have Bruce's more abstract sensibilities to muck with things.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 6:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Probably not going to happen. It's fundamentally Colin's group now, so we don't have Bruce's more abstract sensibilities to muck with things.
Well that's what baffles me so. You don't even have to think abstractly to write a song that's rhythmically different from another. There's a couple songs on the self-titled and a couple on NK to prove it, but the majority is frustratingly formulaic. And to my ears, it's a formula that they only used sparingly in the old days, so I'm not sure why they've decided that's the 'Wire Sound.'

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well that's what baffles me so. You don't even have to think abstractly to write a song that's rhythmically different from another. There's a couple songs on the self-titled and a couple on NK to prove it, but the majority is frustratingly formulaic. And to my ears, it's a formula that they only used sparingly in the old days, so I'm not sure why they've decided that's the 'Wire Sound.'
I couldn't say, but I'm fairly confident that it's about the resolution of a constant tension when Bruce was in the group. Colin writes the music and produces, so it's pretty much his vision of the band. Perhaps the lack of variety can also be connected to him being in other groups (Githead, Immersion, and his wife Malka Spigel's own stuff)—he's got outlets for different styles, so Wire gets a bit more singular. That's a total guess on my part, tho.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 6:46pm
Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I couldn't say, but I'm fairly confident that it's about the resolution of a constant tension when Bruce was in the group. Colin writes the music and produces, so it's pretty much his vision of the band. Perhaps the lack of variety can also be connected to him being in other groups (Githead, Immersion, and his wife Malka Spigel's own stuff)—he's got outlets for different styles, so Wire gets a bit more singular. That's a total guess on my part, tho.
Are you a Minimal Compact fan?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:32pm
Short answer: no. Longer, contextualized answer: I've only heard them a few times (weird, given the Wire connection) and I honestly don't recall any of my thoughts, tho seemingly they didn't make enough of an impression to encourage more exposure.

Recommendations?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
Kory wrote:
Short answer: no. Longer, contextualized answer: I've only heard them a few times (weird, given the Wire connection) and I honestly don't recall any of my thoughts, tho seemingly they didn't make enough of an impression to encourage more exposure.

Recommendations?
I'm afraid I have none, my story is much the same as yours. Though I recall, now that we're talking about it, that I might own their stuff digitally. Let me check when I get home and I'll upload for you if you'd like.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
Kory wrote:

Recommendations?
I'm afraid I have none, my story is much the same as yours. Though I recall, now that we're talking about it, that I might own their stuff digitally. Let me check when I get home and I'll upload for you if you'd like.
I have a bunch of albums on some discs somewhere, so no u/l necessary (probably). But merci bien for the offer.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

http://pitchfork.com/features/5-10-15-2 ... -made-him/

Interview with Colin Newman on the album's that influenced him throughout his life.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"