So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

I grabbed the 9 Sevens box on Saturday, and boy is it a lovingly crafted package. Totally worth the dough for an artifact guy like me. Nice thick box and the paper stock is high quality. Doc, I'll get that scan to you soon, as long as my scanner doesn't keep producing those weird moiré patterns.

Re: the box—was there talk that Bruce had done this art recently? The packaging suggests that it was his concept only, and that it was art directed by somebody else, the concept being used first on the "2nd Length" sleeve.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 2:49pm
I grabbed the 9 Sevens box on Saturday, and boy is it a lovingly crafted package. Totally worth the dough for an artifact guy like me. Nice thick box and the paper stock is high quality. Doc, I'll get that scan to you soon, as long as my scanner doesn't keep producing those weird moiré patterns.

Re: the box—was there talk that Bruce had done this art recently? The packaging suggests that it was his concept only, and that it was art directed by somebody else, the concept being used first on the "2nd Length" sleeve.
I think Bruce was concept alone. As an artist, he seems more of a director of the more technically capable. But I believe this is the sleeve that was used for 2nd Length (rather, 2nd Length was a b-side for Crazy About Love):

And thanks for the scan!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 2:56pm
Kory wrote:

I think Bruce was concept alone. As an artist, he seems more of a director of the more technically capable. But I believe this is the sleeve that was used for 2nd Length (rather, 2nd Length was a b-side for Crazy About Love):

And thanks for the scan!
Weird' I'm pretty sure the last sleeve in the box also has a fish skeleton on it. I'll double check when I get home.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wire have just announced an even more limited edition "Eight Sevens" box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And thanks for the scan!
Weird' I'm pretty sure the last sleeve in the box also has a fish skeleton on it. I'll double check when I get home.
If so, I think it's related to "Crazy in Love" not being in that set. Instead, they created a fake old single from the two b-sides. Man, "Catapult 30" is a great Dome-ish slice of weirdness. I'd love an entire album of those kinds of deconstructions/mutations of Wire songs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 5:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And thanks for the scan!
If so, I think it's related to "Crazy in Love" not being in that set. Instead, they created a fake old single from the two b-sides. Man, "Catapult 30" is a great Dome-ish slice of weirdness. I'd love an entire album of those kinds of deconstructions/mutations of Wire songs.
Why did they leave out Crazy About Love?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And thanks for the scan!
Too long for a 7", I would guess. It's 15 minutes or thereabouts.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

And thanks for the scan!
FEET TO THE FIRE

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
FEET TO THE FIRE
I fully support blaming Mick for Object 47 and some of Bruce's more unlistenable records.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:47pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
FEET TO THE FIRE
I fully support blaming Mick for Object 47 and some of Bruce's more unlistenable records.
I'm almost positive there's at least some sort of butterfly effect.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
FEET TO THE FIRE
Clearly, Combat Rock was but one chessboard move by Mick to ruin Wire.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

FEET TO THE FIRE
It's funny because Wire combats rock better than the Clash ever did.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 May 2018, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:02pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

FEET TO THE FIRE
It's funny because Wire combats rock better than the Clash ever did.
But the Clash's hatred of their fans takes a backseat to no one.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Kory wrote:
I'd say that Crazy About Love was originally a 12" single, not a 7", so not in keeping with the singles box. And it's actually the band's one-track John Peel session from 1979 so maybe it's still owned by the BBC and the band couldn't license it or something. (The other Peel/Radio One tracks have never been reissued by Wire on their Pink Flag label either)
The 2 B-sides from the Crazy About Love 12" were Wire's final studio recordings in the 1977-1980 era - well, reworkings of 'Our Swimmer' according to the sleeve notes to the 'Turns & Strokes' compilation. Which confusingly uses the same cover art as the Crazy Love 12"

https://www.discogs.com/Wire-Turns-And- ... ase/539906

But maybe these 2 tracks were lined up as an intended single at one point. Having them finally pressed up as a 7" for this box set makes a nice bonus item I think.
Crazy About Love still makes me shudder - my introduction to Wire's, er, more provocative 'WTF?' style... :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
07 May 2018, 8:44pm
Kory wrote:
I'd say that Crazy About Love was originally a 12" single, not a 7", so not in keeping with the singles box. And it's actually the band's one-track John Peel session from 1979 so maybe it's still owned by the BBC and the band couldn't license it or something. (The other Peel/Radio One tracks have never been reissued by Wire on their Pink Flag label either)
Given that they did release it as a single back in '82 or whatever, the licensing thing probably isn't in play. I suspect that Peel Sessions disc out of print. (My copy, as I recall, was a limited edition glow-in-the dark cd. For when you want to look at your cd's without the lights on, I guess.)
But maybe these 2 tracks were lined up as an intended single at one point. Having them finally pressed up as a 7" for this box set makes a nice bonus item I think.
Given that "Our Swimmer" is a bit of a "lost single"—not released by EMI but Rough Trade, so it gets missed on various compilations of their initial period—it's goofy that it'd be immediately remade and then deconstructed. A lot of work on a song that exists on the fringe of the band's history.
Crazy About Love still makes me shudder - my introduction to Wire's, er, more provocative 'WTF?' style... :mrgreen:
Ha! Me too. For the longest time, that was a very skippable track on the Peel Sessions disc. Long, meandering, and moody. Maybe the closest Wire got to no wave. But definitely a step in the Dome direction.