So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

Bet it all on 13.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh, according to one fellow on Wire's board, the design of the box set is Bruce's and it is contemporary, meaning he's participating in current Wire operations, even if minimally. I'd be beyond thrilled if he returned to the group in some form. No expectation that he'd ever return to live performance, but studio work and input on style would be welcome. With the exception of O47, the band has produced a solid run of albums, but they all definitely have a Colin sound to them. That's not a bad thing, but I always loved Bruce's noise-rooted contributions.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 3:39pm
Kory wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 2:13pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 2:04pm
Kory wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 4:13pm

Whoa
more info:
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2018/0 ... store-day/

What an odd sleeve to use, as it seems to refer to a more recent song, "Fishes Bones," not anything from the 70s. (Interesting, too, that Bruce is credited with the sleeve even tho he hasn't had anything to do with the group for almost fifteen years.) But for those who are into vinyl, the real gem in there, I think, is the 154 ep, which was a freebie included in initial pressings of 154, then appended to early cd versions of the album, but since left off. Each band member got their own song to do on it. So that'll be the first time those songs have been remastered. And I don't think "Question of Degree"—one of my top three Wire songs—has ever been remastered. All in all, worthwhile for vinyl fiends.
Maybe it was Bruce's fish.

Man, I really hate waiting in line at RSD...I was hoping I could skip it, but this collection is worth it. Shit.
That link says that any unsold copies will be available via Wire's own store. Are they popular enough to sell out a fairly pricey set? I tend to think that you could still order it from them, but it would be a gamble.
I think they will all sell out as the original copies of those singles are pricey.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:33pm
Oh, according to one fellow on Wire's board, the design of the box set is Bruce's and it is contemporary, meaning he's participating in current Wire operations, even if minimally. I'd be beyond thrilled if he returned to the group in some form. No expectation that he'd ever return to live performance, but studio work and input on style would be welcome. With the exception of O47, the band has produced a solid run of albums, but they all definitely have a Colin sound to them. That's not a bad thing, but I always loved Bruce's noise-rooted contributions.
Whoa, I had no idea.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For reasons unclear, Bruce's new album is available via Bandcamp a couple weeks before the proper release date. Pretty varied stuff. Certainly not songs as we normally think of them, but neither (at least on first listen) do they seem like actual compositions, but little explorations of sounds. Most interestingly, especially to eumaas, there are a couple tracks that had a real Ghost Box vibe to them. I'd recommend it if you've heard and enjoyed his previous solo works, but otherwise it probably won't be for you.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 3:04pm
Deluxe reissue time: http://stereoembersmagazine.com/wire-re ... ssing-154/
Pre-order and track listing: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/dept/~special-cd-editi/

I wonder if this is connected to Bruce being involved with that box set, that he'd need to sign off on these re-releases.

Also, unless you're a vinyl fetishist, these make that box set unnecessary.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 4:46pm
Kory wrote:
Pre-order and track listing: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/dept/~special-cd-editi/

I wonder if this is connected to Bruce being involved with that box set, that he'd need to sign off on these re-releases.

I'm less a vinyl fetishist and more a completist, but I guess I won't bother with the box. These will probably make Behind the Curtain obsolete too, no?'

I hope they also do 2nd phase reissues. I really like those next two albums, though I know I'm in the minority.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm less a vinyl fetishist and more a completist, but I guess I won't bother with the box. These will probably make Behind the Curtain obsolete too, no?'
Doesn't look like it. Forgettable early garbage like "Mary Is a Dyke" isn't on the expanded Pink Flag.
I hope they also do 2nd phase reissues. I really like those next two albums, though I know I'm in the minority.
Short of supplementing them with live versions, radio sessions, or alternate mixes, I'm not sure if there's anything there. One of the sore points during the Mute years (from Colin's perspective) was that the band went from demoing to creating songs in the studio, Graham and Bruce's preferred way to work. So there wouldn't be rudimentary versions of songs lying around, just bits and pieces to be assembled. Plus I don't think anyone in the band feels all that great about those records. I still love Bruce's assessment of A Bell is a Cup, that it is not a significant contribution to 20th-century culture. Or Manscape: "You'd think somebody would have listened to it first before releasing it."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 5:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Doesn't look like it. Forgettable early garbage like "Mary Is a Dyke" isn't on the expanded Pink Flag.
Oh I just noticed you posted the tracklist link.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Just pre-ordered. Fuck me, 83£ (which works out to CAN$150). This is probably the sixth time I've bought these albums, tho only the third time brand new. (Is this what it's like with Marky and Bollocks?) But at this point, Wire and Swans are automatic buys, as much a thank you for a career as payment for "new" product.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listened to Chairs Missing on my walk to campus, which had me reconsidering whether it Send is my favourite Wire album. So I listened to Send on the walk back and, nope, that's the one. It just oozes snarl and electricity. But CM is kinda good, too.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 8:21pm
Kory wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 8:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just pre-ordered. Fuck me, 83£ (which works out to CAN$150). This is probably the sixth time I've bought these albums, tho only the third time brand new. (Is this what it's like with Marky and Bollocks?) But at this point, Wire and Swans are automatic buys, as much a thank you for a career as payment for "new" product.

I'm waiting for Bollocks 50th Anniversary edition. ;)

I wonder how these Wire reissues compare with the japanese versions the band previously disliked so much. That Pink Flag does contain Mary Is a Dyke and has 38 tracks, I think they sound great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:38pm
I wonder how these Wire reissues compare with the japanese versions the band previously disliked so much. That Pink Flag does contain Mary Is a Dyke and has 38 tracks, I think they sound great.
The main albums, I presume, will be the same remasters from, what, a dozen years ago? I don't know if those Japanese editions were from the same remaster, but some tracks wouldn't have been.

That release—it came with a book, but I only bought the digital versions, not that one—were supposedly part of what led Bruce to leave because Colin changed the credits on Pink Flag. Instead of the group credit, Colin inserted that he came up with the music on all the songs. Bruce argued that the whole band spent weeks and weeks working up those songs so that even if Colin had the original ideas for the melody, the songs had evolved so much via group input that they were more accurately group creations. So Bruce fucked off.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 5:38pm
The main albums, I presume, will be the same remasters from, what, a dozen years ago? I don't know if those Japanese editions were from the same remaster, but some tracks wouldn't have been.

That release—it came with a book, but I only bought the digital versions, not that one—were supposedly part of what led Bruce to leave because Colin changed the credits on Pink Flag. Instead of the group credit, Colin inserted that he came up with the music on all the songs. Bruce argued that the whole band spent weeks and weeks working up those songs so that even if Colin had the original ideas for the melody, the songs had evolved so much via group input that they were more accurately group creations. So Bruce fucked off.
I think I agree with Bruce. But those editions sound really good to my ears. And we're great value at the time. They are expensive now and I only have downloads. The demos are out there so why not go for the complete package after all the years. It could be a nice 3 disc set with a live show from that period. Anyway that's just how I feel about reissues being good value.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia