So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 11:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 8:25pm
That's a little unfair, I think. About a decade ago, Wire initiated their "legal bootleg" program, where they issued live recordings from various points in their career. And he has said on their own board that Wire is a better live act than people give them credit (that is, they aren't studio rats). Still, he's a pretty quality-control kind of guy. Graham and Bruce were the "happy accidents" guys, while Colin was the guy who came to the studio with a plan.
Ah, I definitely don't mean it as unfair - as I said, it's not a criticism - but I was going based on this:
Like most bands, Wire are not really that interested in all that kind of stuff. Live recordings, not even slightly. Anything like radio recordings, Peel Sessions and stuff like that... The band's really not that interested. They're more interested in the version that was - as it were - the final version, or the gig that's in front of them tomorrow. But I'd say that's in common with anyone in any band that I've ever spoken to. I mean, it's not like anyone's ignoring it, it's just the thinking is very much band thinking rather than fan thinking.
I don't follow Wire too closely, so I hadn't recalled the Legal Bootleg series. I just sort of contrast it to the artist I'm most familiar with - Bob Dylan - who basically has a pretty blase attitude about the studio and pretty much bangs stuff off on the fly in a few takes and then keeps reworking the arrangements (and lyrics, sometimes) to his songs pretty much endlessly. I don't know if he cares about fans hearing live versions or whatever, but he doesn't really seem to operate on the idea there's a "final version" of a song.
I think you're misinterpreting what he means here. Wire have always been very forward-looking, resistant to "playing the old stuff." Even at the start, once an album was done they played new songs, developing them on-stage, almost exclusively. When they started up again in 2000, they reversed course on that, but still treat live performance as a means of reinterpreting old work. So he's talking about the band not being so concerned about all that old stuff because the next version is the more interesting one. He must be speaking as an artist there, tho, because Wire has done a shitload of curating their old catalogue, re-releases, compilations, all that.
The other is his comment about Joe Rogan, which was a toss-off, and again not really a criticism of Colin really, but it made me think about how there was this controversy some years ago about how you could find some white power/racist bands on Spotify and most of them got taken down. Which, you know, good to deplatform that shit. But now Spotify pays for and promotes one of America's main sources of disinformation, anti-vaccine/anti-science nonsense, qanon gateway shit, and alt right/white power voices to be whitewashed and disseminated into mainstream culture. I mean, it's reactionary and insane on its face and Spotify is actually rewarded monetarily and with increased use for doing it. And while I'm not about to counsel artists to, like, boycott Spotify since it's such the biggest game in town, I guess I wouldn't have minded Colin speaking to the ethical complications of Spotify rather than kinda laughing off that reporters want to discuss it. I think his views on it, especially given how astute he is about the industry, would be interesting.
I agree. He and the band have always treated "politics" in a wry, arms-length way—we're artists—but there is some room for more pointed ethical critique when a band controls so much of their own material. You can't say, "Well, Sony owns it and we have no choice." You don't need to be a hectoring Biafra to make a clear point.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 11:26pm
Also, honestly, I don't think I even knew some of those albums had be re-re-issued and whatnot. Kory and Doc (and Marky?) what would you all say are the best sounding versions to get of the first three albums? I currently have the 2006 reissues of the first three albums on CD.
They re-released the first three records in deluxe packages six(?) years ago. I don't think they were remastered, so they'd be those reissues you have, but with demos, b-sides, and the like included. Whether you're completist or not would determine whether you think you need to upgrade. I'm always a source if you need the superduper affordable version, wink wink wink.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:50am
I think you're misinterpreting what he means here. Wire have always been very forward-looking, resistant to "playing the old stuff." Even at the start, once an album was done they played new songs, developing them on-stage, almost exclusively. When they started up again in 2000, they reversed course on that, but still treat live performance as a means of reinterpreting old work. So he's talking about the band not being so concerned about all that old stuff because the next version is the more interesting one. He must be speaking as an artist there, tho, because Wire has done a shitload of curating their old catalogue, re-releases, compilations, all that.
Ahh, that makes sense. As I said, my knowledge of wire isn't super in depth (I would say I'm one of the rare "moderate fans" where I know a bit more than the first three albums but I haven't exhaustively explored the extended wire universe by any means) so am not familiar with them as a live unit and, as you reference, largely got into them when they were re-recording old tunes. His comments make total sense.
I agree. He and the band have always treated "politics" in a wry, arms-length way—we're artists—but there is some room for more pointed ethical critique when a band controls so much of their own material. You can't say, "Well, Sony owns it and we have no choice." You don't need to be a hectoring Biafra to make a clear point.
Especially since he says explicitly he's getting more involved in the politics of these artists issues. As I said, not really a criticism, but I'd hope an opportunity to nudge a little more in future interviews or conversations if the chance every presents itself.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:54am
They re-released the first three records in deluxe packages six(?) years ago. I don't think they were remastered, so they'd be those reissues you have, but with demos, b-sides, and the like included. Whether you're completist or not would determine whether you think you need to upgrade. I'm always a source if you need the superduper affordable version, wink wink wink.
Appreciated, and I may take you up on it at some point. Honestly my "to listen" pile is so large right now (including still needing to get to several of Marky's excellent masters) that I'm afraid right now the files would just get buried in my downloads folder.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 10:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:54am
Appreciated, and I may take you up on it at some point. Honestly my "to listen" pile is so large right now (including still needing to get to several of Marky's excellent masters) that I'm afraid right now the files would just get buried in my downloads folder.
Anything and everything you want is yours. Except, like, freedom from worry and emotional balance and flaky stuff like that.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Flex wrote:
Also, honestly, I don't think I even knew some of those albums had be re-re-issued and whatnot. Kory and Doc (and Marky?) what would you all say are the best sounding versions to get of the first three albums? I currently have the 2006 reissues of the first three albums on CD.
I've not done a listening comparison, but the original CDs from the 1980s (and later remastered in the early 1990s?) all had bonus tracks of the relevant singles and B-sides.
With the 2006 remasters, they dropped the bonus tracks and they were not reissued for years, not until the expanded deluxe 'book/box' packages
If that was Wire's call, I thought it odd - OK, preserve the 'integrity' and vision of the original albums, but put out some sort of singles compilation aswell. Which they didn't. (There was that 'On Returning 1977-79' compilation which had some of the A-sides, but that was also from the 1980s/90s, never reissued)

So for years, if you wanted 'Dot Dash' 'Question of Degree' and the like on CD - and who wouldn't?! - you had to find used copies of the older versions.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 12:03pm
Flex wrote:
I've not done a listening comparison, but the original CDs from the 1980s (and later remastered in the early 1990s?) all had bonus tracks of the relevant singles and B-sides.
With the 2006 remasters, they dropped the bonus tracks and they were not reissued for years, not until the expanded deluxe 'book/box' packages
If that was Wire's call, I thought it odd - OK, preserve the 'integrity' and vision of the original albums, but put out some sort of singles compilation aswell. Which they didn't. (There was that 'On Returning 1977-79' compilation which had some of the A-sides, but that was also from the 1980s/90s, never reissued)

So for years, if you wanted 'Dot Dash' 'Question of Degree' and the like on CD - and who wouldn't?! - you had to find used copies of the older versions.
And then when they did that singles box a few years back—Nine Sevens—all those singles got packaged up again. That one especially cocked my eyebrow given the band's previous stance about the past and all that. Those Harvest records and singles have been shined up and re-arranged many, many times now. Which, for the sake of their bank account, fine, I have no issue about that—they've never been more than a cult act with sales reflecting that status. But they lean heavily into that part of their past now for income.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JohnS wrote:
Flex wrote:

There was the Behind the Curtain compilation for those B-sides, but as you allude to with On Returning, it was pretty hard to find (probably still is to a degree).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 12:23pm
JohnS wrote:
Flex wrote:

And then when they did that singles box a few years back—Nine Sevens—all those singles got packaged up again. That one especially cocked my eyebrow given the band's previous stance about the past and all that. Those Harvest records and singles have been shined up and re-arranged many, many times now. Which, for the sake of their bank account, fine, I have no issue about that—they've never been more than a cult act with sales reflecting that status. But they lean heavily into that part of their past now for income.
Also with regard to his comments in that interview about RSD. I believe that box was first pressed for the day, wasn't it?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 6:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JohnS wrote:
Flex wrote:

Also with regard to his comments in that interview about RSD. I believe that box was first pressed for the day, wasn't it?
I think so. The cd version came out several months later. Same with that 10:20 disc, which was another exercise in working the past.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Kory wrote:
There was the Behind the Curtain compilation for those B-sides, but as you allude to with On Returning, it was pretty hard to find (probably still is to a degree).
Actually, Behind The Curtain was all unreleased demos, not the stuff from singles etc. A real treasure trove at the time, although I think it's all included as bonus tracks on the expanded versions of the albums now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:47pm
Kory wrote:
Actually, Behind The Curtain was all unreleased demos, not the stuff from singles etc. A real treasure trove at the time, although I think it's all included as bonus tracks on the expanded versions of the albums now.
I discovered Behind the Curtain at a Best Buy in Athens, GA, and was stunned at its existence. So damned good. That they binned "Stepping Off Too Quick" was like the Beatles going meh to "That Means a Lot."

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 6:25pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JohnS wrote:
Flex wrote:

I think so. The cd version came out several months later. Same with that 10:20 disc, which was another exercise in working the past.
Wire have always been on board with RSD releases. There was also a numbered edition of 'Change Becomes Us' on vinyl in 2013; that 'PF456' 2x10" EP thing in 2021, and the 'Not About to Die' demos LP in 2022. All of which are readily available elsewhere now

Flex

Post by Flex »

I have that change becomes us vinyl. It sounds so good. My favorite wire release, probably

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 6:25pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JohnS wrote:

Wire have always been on board with RSD releases. There was also a numbered edition of 'Change Becomes Us' on vinyl in 2013; that 'PF456' 2x10" EP thing in 2021, and the 'Not About to Die' demos LP in 2022. All of which are readily available elsewhere now
Colin really has been superb on the business side of things.