So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 8:57am
New Wire album early next year plus news / solicitation for funds for their self-produced documentary: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-24-06-19

I'll be throwing in some cash, but I gotta say that their extra incentives plus the tiers involved are more miserly than most projects of this type.
I hope they fix that type treatment ("People Wire in a Film").
Ha! I wondered if you'd comment on that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
New Wire album early next year plus news / solicitation for funds for their self-produced documentary: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-24-06-19

I'll be throwing in some cash, but I gotta say that their extra incentives plus the tiers involved are more miserly than most projects of this type.
I can't escape it now. Kinda like how being trained in audio engineering has ruined my enjoyment of recorded music.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can't escape it now. Kinda like how being trained in audio engineering has ruined my enjoyment of recorded music.
I remember when I started pursuing popular cultural from a scholarly perspective way back when, my adviser said that for a long time I'd be unable to enjoy music or tv or movies, etc. because I wouldn't be able to turn off the theory and analysis part. And it was true. But I eventually achieved a balance there. So I've told students in my rock class, the ones who really want to take it seriously, that really applying yourself will mean losing the "it's just fun" aspect to listening and thinking about bands and records. In a weird way, you have to work harder to just enjoy things.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 2:32pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember when I started pursuing popular cultural from a scholarly perspective way back when, my adviser said that for a long time I'd be unable to enjoy music or tv or movies, etc. because I wouldn't be able to turn off the theory and analysis part. And it was true. But I eventually achieved a balance there. So I've told students in my rock class, the ones who really want to take it seriously, that really applying yourself will mean losing the "it's just fun" aspect to listening and thinking about bands and records. In a weird way, you have to work harder to just enjoy things.
I honestly prefer it, it seems like a I have a deeper understanding of whatever it is I'm into, even if it does take extra effort to enjoy it for its own sake. I don't think I'd go back to the other way, in any case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I honestly prefer it, it seems like a I have a deeper understanding of whatever it is I'm into, even if it does take extra effort to enjoy it for its own sake. I don't think I'd go back to the other way, in any case.
Definitely. I roll my eyes when people groan about treating popular culture seriously—it's just a song/movie/book—but it's the dominant artistic expression of our world. Why shouldn't that stuff be treated with the same seriousness and respect as high culture or any other "serious" text? Despite how common it is, I'll never understand the hostility to treating popular culture as something that matters.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 3:49pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Definitely. I roll my eyes when people groan about treating popular culture seriously—it's just a song/movie/book—but it's the dominant artistic expression of our world. Why shouldn't that stuff be treated with the same seriousness and respect as high culture or any other "serious" text? Despite how common it is, I'll never understand the hostility to treating popular culture as something that matters.
It certainly matters to a big chunk or the population more than politics or almost anything else, which alone makes it worthy of study.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

It certainly matters to a big chunk or the population more than politics or almost anything else, which alone makes it worthy of study.
Hello,

I get a similar response to sport (it's within my field, Kinesiology). I usually throw this Mandela quote to them:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair.”
— Nelson Mandela

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 4:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

I get a similar response to sport (it's within my field, Kinesiology). I usually throw this Mandela quote to them:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair.”
— Nelson Mandela
Quite true, but just as importantly sports can divide and exploit. Which doesn't change the value a whit, only that we shouldn't approach things in a celebratory manner. It has great value so we need to treat it with seriousness. If academics tend to dismiss popular culture as unworthy, students too often want to approach it in a celebratory manner.

The other thing that I'll add more generally is that the dismissive position is also an intellectual one, so even being snide or anti-intellectual means treating the subject matter intellectually.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 4:52pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

— Nelson Mandela
Quite true, but just as importantly sports can divide and exploit. Which doesn't change the value a whit, only that we shouldn't approach things in a celebratory manner. It has great value so we need to treat it with seriousness. If academics tend to dismiss popular culture as unworthy, students too often want to approach it in a celebratory manner.

The other thing that I'll add more generally is that the dismissive position is also an intellectual one, so even being snide or anti-intellectual means treating the subject matter intellectually.
I'm finally me, an intellectual.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 4:52pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

— Nelson Mandela

I'm finally me, an intellectual.
Well, not you!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another new Wire spin-off group, Fitted, featuring Lewis and Simms, plus Mike Watt and someone I've never heard of. Album is out early November.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 12:59pm

Another new Wire spin-off group, Fitted, featuring Lewis and Simms, plus Mike Watt and someone I've never heard of. Album is out early November.
Two bassists?!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 12:59pm

Two bassists?!
I'd guess that Lewis doesn't play in that situation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New album in January: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-22-10-19

The first listen of the single was a bit of a shrug for me. Leans too much in the direction of Colin's Githead for me. It's not bad, but … slight.

But they're coming to my town, so I have to rustle up someone to go with me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 2:39pm
New album in January: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-22-10-19

The first listen of the single was a bit of a shrug for me. Leans too much in the direction of Colin's Githead for me. It's not bad, but … slight.

But they're coming to my town, so I have to rustle up someone to go with me.
I have about the same reaction I've had to every single since O47, but the song descriptions seem interesting. Only 9 songs, huh?

Looks like they won't be coming to Seattle, at least til later in the year.