So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 11:47am
Took the poster in to be mounted and framed—the place is literally half a block away from our house—and the owner, who speaks with an obvious Middle Eastern accent, said, “You always bring me such interesting posters from bands I’ve never heard of."
That's adoooooooorable.

Thanks for the Wir upload!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Got the mounted poster back. About an inch-and-a-half of black matting around, simple black frame and glass. Looks much better than I expected when I started this little venture. I'd take a photo but the glare from the glass ruins things.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If anyone is still looking for that Nine Sevens set, according to Colin Wire's pinkflag store has some in stock that will, I gather, be available on Monday. Doesn't say how many, tho.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Seemingly still some sets left at pinkflag.com's store, tho others on the pinkflag board say it's out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 3:27pm
Seemingly still some sets left at pinkflag.com's store, tho others on the pinkflag board say it's out.
I saw leftovers listed in a couple of other online stores, but $120 is a bit rich for my blood, tbqh
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I saw leftovers listed in a couple of other online stores, but $120 is a bit rich for my blood, tbqh
Especially when all those songs will be available in the latest repackaging of the first three albums next month. It really is more of a collector's fetish piece than anything else. It made some sense before they announced the deluxe editions, but now, "for fans only."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 3:55pm
Flex wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 3:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Especially when all those songs will be available in the latest repackaging of the first three albums next month. It really is more of a collector's fetish piece than anything else. It made some sense before they announced the deluxe editions, but now, "for fans only."
I was able to snag one at my local shop a couple days after RSD because it hadn't sold. I don't even have a record player, but I want it for the artifact aspect of it. Same reason I have the Clash singles box.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 7:57pm
I was able to snag one at my local shop a couple days after RSD because it hadn't sold. I don't even have a record player, but I want it for the artifact aspect of it. Same reason I have the Clash singles box.
Years ago, I bought an original vinyl copy of Metal Box on a whim. I haven't owned a turntable in about 25 years. And, predictably, MB is sitting in a box in the basement. Unless it's, like, a mounted poster, I'm a dumbo when it comes to collecting that kind of stuff.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 8:09pm
Kory wrote:
Years ago, I bought an original vinyl copy of Metal Box on a whim. I haven't owned a turntable in about 25 years. And, predictably, MB is sitting in a box in the basement. Unless it's, like, a mounted poster, I'm a dumbo when it comes to collecting that kind of stuff.
I've certainly run out of room at my house for items, so a lot of them are in a closet now, but I do pull them out once in a while to look at the sleeve replicas. I'm hoping for a one-two punch of getting rid of some things and then living in a bigger place next.

As for posters, I have WAY too many and far too little wall space.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I sold mine about two years back for £90.00 / $122.00 approx. With the money I bought two copies of Metal Box on cd one was a Japanese edition SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) the other the UK edition that comes in a replica tin. I feel much happier now. I still had change for some toothpaste.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I sold mine about two years back for £90.00 / $122.00 approx. With the money I bought two copies of Metal Box on cd one was a Japanese edition SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) the other the UK edition that comes in a replica tin. I feel much happier now. I still had change for some toothpaste.
I just checked my financial records and I paid CAN$105 (£60) in 2009. I had the cd-in-a-tin version already (think I still do, again, in a box in the basement).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I just checked my financial records and I paid CAN$105 (£60) in 2009. I had the cd-in-a-tin version already (think I still do, again, in a box in the basement).
I could have sold mine for more as it was pristine the vinyl played only once and the tin still had the sheen on it with the little sticker on the underside of the tin which said Metal 1 (i think) and a lyric sheet that came from one of the music weeklies. I sold it to a friend (along with a ton of Pistols rarities) who needed some money with the idea he would sell it for more. He sold it to a Japanese collector for £120.00.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 1:45pm
I could have sold mine for more as it was pristine the vinyl played only once and the tin still had the sheen on it with the little sticker on the underside of the tin which said Metal 1 (i think) and a lyric sheet that came from one of the music weeklies. I sold it to a friend (along with a ton of Pistols rarities) who needed some money with the idea he would sell it for more. He sold it to a Japanese collector for £120.00.
Yer a good alligator. I have no idea about the quality of the vinyl with mine—I can, however, honestly say it's not been played once in the past nine years!—and the tin is a bit scuffed, tho not overly. No lyric sheet but the small square track listing is in there and it has that sticker on the bottom (just took a look).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

That's all well an good about the resale market for Metal Box, but I still don't think I know how I didn't know the new Wire was out?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pay attention—we've been discussing this for almost ten years now.