So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2018, 2:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 1:45pm
I could have sold mine for more as it was pristine the vinyl played only once and the tin still had the sheen on it with the little sticker on the underside of the tin which said Metal 1 (i think) and a lyric sheet that came from one of the music weeklies. I sold it to a friend (along with a ton of Pistols rarities) who needed some money with the idea he would sell it for more. He sold it to a Japanese collector for £120.00.
Yer a good alligator. I have no idea about the quality of the vinyl with mine—I can, however, honestly say it's not been played once in the past nine years!—and the tin is a bit scuffed, tho not overly. No lyric sheet but the small square track listing is in there and it has that sticker on the bottom (just took a look).
Yep yours is complete. The lyric sheet was a freebie in ZigZag magazine from Dec '79 with an interview with John, Keith and Kris Needs. Virgin Records wouldn't stretch to a lyric sheet back in 1979, so John wrote the lyrics out and asked Kris Needs to print them along with the interview.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I could have sold mine for more as it was pristine the vinyl played only once and the tin still had the sheen on it with the little sticker on the underside of the tin which said Metal 1 (i think) and a lyric sheet that came from one of the music weeklies. I sold it to a friend (along with a ton of Pistols rarities) who needed some money with the idea he would sell it for more. He sold it to a Japanese collector for £120.00.
Yer a good alligator. I have no idea about the quality of the vinyl with mine—I can, however, honestly say it's not been played once in the past nine years!—and the tin is a bit scuffed, tho not overly. No lyric sheet but the small square track listing is in there and it has that sticker on the bottom (just took a look).
Yep yours is complete. The lyric sheet was a freebie in ZigZag magazine from Dec '79 with an interview with John, Keith and Kris Needs. Virgin Records wouldn't stretch to a lyric sheet back in 1979, so John wrote the lyrics out and asked Kris Needs to print them along with the interview.
Splurging on a costly package then drawing the line at a lyric sheet? The music biz is a funny thing.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2018, 4:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Splurging on a costly package then drawing the line at a lyric sheet? The music biz is a funny thing.
I reckon either Branson said it costs enough already or it was an after thought. As Virgin were huge on gimmicks for selling more product.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2018, 9:32am
A rip of the Nine Sevens set: http://newalbumreleases.net/108436/wire ... vens-2018/
I'm picking up my physical copy tomorrow. I had my dad grab it for me since I couldn't make it to the shop anytime soon.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 May 2018, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A rip of the Nine Sevens set: http://newalbumreleases.net/108436/wire ... vens-2018/
I'm picking up my physical copy tomorrow. I had my dad grab it for me since I couldn't make it to the shop anytime soon.
Kif, a thought occurs. As I understand it, the original sleeves are reproduced on each of the records. Ya think you could do up a big ol' hi-res scan of the "Question of Degree" single? It's another Wire-related image I'd love to have as a poster someday, but it ain't otherwise happening.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2018, 6:21pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kif, a thought occurs. As I understand it, the original sleeves are reproduced on each of the records. Ya think you could do up a big ol' hi-res scan of the "Question of Degree" single? It's another Wire-related image I'd love to have as a poster someday, but it ain't otherwise happening.

You got it, mister.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 May 2018, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2018, 6:21pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You got it, mister.
Cool and thanks. When you get home, there'll be a shiny new ingot of platinum in the cookie jar.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2018, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 8:09pm
Kory wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 7:57pm
I was able to snag one at my local shop a couple days after RSD because it hadn't sold. I don't even have a record player, but I want it for the artifact aspect of it. Same reason I have the Clash singles box.
Years ago, I bought an original vinyl copy of Metal Box on a whim. I haven't owned a turntable in about 25 years. And, predictably, MB is sitting in a box in the basement. Unless it's, like, a mounted poster, I'm a dumbo when it comes to collecting that kind of stuff.
I sold mine about two years back for £90.00 / $122.00 approx. With the money I bought two copies of Metal Box on cd one was a Japanese edition SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) the other the UK edition that comes in a replica tin. I feel much happier now. I still had change for some toothpaste.
I just checked my financial records and I paid CAN$105 (£60) in 2009. I had the cd-in-a-tin version already (think I still do, again, in a box in the basement).
So I was packing some stuff away yesterday Metal Box cd in-a-tin being one of the things being packed. And it seems I don't have the UK version but the Jap SHM-CD version which replicates the original right down to having 3 cd's sandwiched between paper inserts. First time I had bothered to open it. Gave it a spin and it sounds superb probably as good as it will ever get on cd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 May 2018, 7:33pm
So I was packing some stuff away yesterday Metal Box cd in-a-tin being one of the things being packed. And it seems I don't have the UK version but the Jap SHM-CD version which replicates the original right down to having 3 cd's sandwiched between paper inserts. First time I had bothered to open it. Gave it a spin and it sounds superb probably as good as it will ever get on cd.
As I understand it, on the original vinyl, the final song, “Radio 4,” has a closed groove, so it'll play forever. That's something the cd can't duplicate.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2018, 7:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
As I understand it, on the original vinyl, the final song, “Radio 4,” has a closed groove, so it'll play forever. That's something the cd can't duplicate.
No not the final song "Radio 4" but the last song on side B "Swan Lake" which just repeats the last few lines "words can not express" and you had to lift the needle to stop play. However the CD does indeed replicate this in as much as on said track the phrase is repeated 5 times and ends with the sound of the needle being lifted.

If you compare the album version against the 7'' edit or the monitor mix version at around the 3 mins 52 secs you'll see for yourself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 May 2018, 9:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
No not the final song "Radio 4" but the last song on side B "Swan Lake" which just repeats the last few lines "words can not express" and you had to lift the needle to stop play. However the CD does indeed replicate this in as much as on said track the phrase is repeated 5 times and ends with the sound of the needle being lifted.

If you compare the album version against the 7'' edit or the monitor mix version at around the 3 mins 52 secs you'll see for yourself.
Is it just your Japanese disc that replicates it, or all cd versions?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 6:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

All CD versions.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

All CD versions.
Now that I'm trying to remember properly, that's right. It never dawned on me that it was faking a closed groove. I thought it was just some intentional sequencing chaos because of the abrupt way "Poptones" starts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:32am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 May 2018, 7:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

All CD versions.
Now that I'm trying to remember properly, that's right. It never dawned on me that it was faking a closed groove. I thought it was just some intentional sequencing chaos because of the abrupt way "Poptones" starts.
Yep it does work well with the way "Poptones" kicks in.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia