So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: So- how didn't I know the new Wire was out?

Post by Kory »

JohnS wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 2:39pm
New album in January: https://pinkflag.greedbag.com/mailouts/ ... s-22-10-19

The first listen of the single was a bit of a shrug for me. Leans too much in the direction of Colin's Githead for me. It's not bad, but … slight.

But they're coming to my town, so I have to rustle up someone to go with me.
Interesting - or intriguing - that the new album is just a regular LP or CD, unlike the deluxe hardback-book package as per recent stuff.
And, as someone who always thought Wire presented their stuff with nice graphics/cover design (which nudged me into buying their recent albums on vinyl), this one looks a bit uninspired.
I'll still get the thing no doubt, but maybe on CD rather than LP...
Maybe it's the beginning of a new phase. I don't mind the cover, but I prefer simplicity in design.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New album is out in two weeks, so another teaser track:

Based on one listen, it's more appealing than the first one. Very much in that Wire simplicity mode.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 7:16am

Based on one listen, it's more appealing than the first one. Very much in that Wire simplicity mode.
Just got a notice that my copy has been dispatched, looking forward to it, and the eventual tour.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 6:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 7:16am

Just got a notice that my copy has been dispatched, looking forward to it, and the eventual tour.
I got that yesterday. I've been semi-regularly hunting for a leak to get an early listen, but so far nuttin' but fake-outs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

So how many records has Wire put out since we didn't know they had a record in 2008? Like 5
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 7:03pm
So how many records has Wire put out since we didn't know they had a record in 2008? Like 5
Not counting re-releases or sanctioned boots, yup, the answer is five (this new one will be six). They're making sure that the thread title stays relevant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finally found a leak of the album. Probably won't be able to listen today, but definitely will tomorrow. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the last couple albums, but the early buzz suggests there's more adventurous work in this one, so I'm hopeful.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 5:08pm
Finally found a leak of the album. Probably won't be able to listen today, but definitely will tomorrow. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the last couple albums, but the early buzz suggests there's more adventurous work in this one, so I'm hopeful.
I wouldn't say I was OVERwhelmed, but I did like NK and S/L more than self-titled. I really wish NK had just been integrated in S/T to create a better and more interesting full album.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wouldn't say I was OVERwhelmed, but I did like NK and S/L more than self-titled. I really wish NK had just been integrated in S/T to create a better and more interesting full album.
I grew to like s/t a fair bit and mostly dig NK (especially "Fishes Bones"). S/L never really grabbed me. I'm on the last song of the new one right now. It's not really doing much for me. My initial thought is that they need to seek an outside producer to shake things up. They sound really comfortable in doing Wire-ish songs. It'd never happen, but getting Bruce to come back and sit in as producer would be appealing to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 2:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I grew to like s/t a fair bit and mostly dig NK (especially "Fishes Bones"). S/L never really grabbed me. I'm on the last song of the new one right now. It's not really doing much for me. My initial thought is that they need to seek an outside producer to shake things up. They sound really comfortable in doing Wire-ish songs. It'd never happen, but getting Bruce to come back and sit in as producer would be appealing to me.
It's a shame they've gotten so complacent. Ditching old songs in favor of only looking forward is only really admirable if there's strange new vistas in the front view.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 5:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 2:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's a shame they've gotten so complacent. Ditching old songs in favor of only looking forward is only really admirable if there's strange new vistas in the front view.
It's telling that the best post-Bruce record was the one based on the "lost" 1980 album. The other thing that strikes me is that various non-Wire albums have been so much better, especially the Graham/Matt albums as UUUU and Fitted. There's still a creative spark there, bur it's not coming out as Wire.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've listened to it three more times and, nope, it's distressingly meh. I've got my ticket to see them in March, so I hope these songs translate better live.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:15pm
I've listened to it three more times and, nope, it's distressingly meh. I've got my ticket to see them in March, so I hope these songs translate better live.
My friend said the back half is more subdued/ambient, he liked it. I'm holding off listening until it comes in the mail.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My friend said the back half is more subdued/ambient, he liked it. I'm holding off listening until it comes in the mail.
Yes, subdued, but I'd hesitate to call it ambient. It sounds like the worst parts of Githead.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:27pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes, subdued, but I'd hesitate to call it ambient. It sounds like the worst parts of Githead.
Finally listening today. I think Oklahoma might be my favorite at the moment.