laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Show us yer autographs

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 6:04pm
laxman wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 5:59pm
Original artwork for Join Hands,that got a limited Record Store day release a couple of years ago,signed by Siouxsie and Severin.

IMG_0199(2).jpg
Very nice now where's todays t shirt?
Ha ha, just posted it. Sorry it's late, my brother and I have had to work out how my dad had managed to mess up Skype on his laptop. Lucky there is social isolation at the moment and we can't get our hands on him :)

Here is my Vic autograph;
Live And Rare Vol 3 inner cover.jpg

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 5:37pm
JohnS wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 5:17pm
Ray Lowry autographs. With some doodles on the same sheets of paper
Wow those are great where did you get them.
When Johnny Green’s book was published, I can’t remember where I found out but a small gallery/ art shop near Chalk Farm/ Camden had an exhibition of Ray Lowry’s illustrations used in the book.
I went along and they had dozens of his drawings and paintings, many never used in the book. Lots were just loose in a box! It was hard to choose but over a few weeks I bought three which were in the book, and they framed them for me. They were quite pricey but in hindsight a good buy. Large, colour watercolours were several hundred quid but I think the small sketches as seen in the book were £100-150 I think (unframed)
I think most of the collection was recent work and/or made for Johnny’s book, but there may have been some older stuff, used in the NME during the band’s heyday. But I was told Ray sold off the original artwork- hand lettered lyric sheets and actual record cover layout - for the London Calling album. I think it cost £1000 for that lot but you could name your price now, I bet.
The woman who ran the gallery told me they’d had a sort of press launch night and Ray was there along with the Clash and their friends. Apparently Mick bought loads of the pictures- all featuring him!
The gallery is long gone, and I wonder where all the other pics ended up.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Ruts poster.jpg

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JohnS wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 6:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
JohnS wrote:
When Johnny Green’s book was published, I can’t remember where I found out but a small gallery/ art shop near Chalk Farm/ Camden had an exhibition of Ray Lowry’s illustrations used in the book.
I went along and they had dozens of his drawings and paintings, many never used in the book. Lots were just loose in a box! It was hard to choose but over a few weeks I bought three which were in the book, and they framed them for me. They were quite pricey but in hindsight a good buy. Large, colour watercolours were several hundred quid but I think the small sketches as seen in the book were £100-150 I think (unframed)
I think most of the collection was recent work and/or made for Johnny’s book, but there may have been some older stuff, used in the NME during the band’s heyday. But I was told Ray sold off the original artwork- hand lettered lyric sheets and actual record cover layout - for the London Calling album. I think it cost £1000 for that lot but you could name your price now, I bet.
The woman who ran the gallery told me they’d had a sort of press launch night and Ray was there along with the Clash and their friends. Apparently Mick bought loads of the pictures- all featuring him!
Yep real bargains now nice work.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

JohnS wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 6:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
JohnS wrote:
http://www.raylowry.com/catalog/53

It looks like this is still up and running.

If my memory serves he was at the first Strummercamp. I should have bought something then.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I have a few signed Manics deluxe versions.
IMG_0202.JPG

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

laxman wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 6:14pm

http://www.raylowry.com/catalog/53

It looks like this is still up and running.

If my memory serves he was at the first Strummercamp. I should have bought something then.
Good old Ray. I always liked his stuff in the NME, regardless of the Clash connection. In the 'original artwork' section there's some good stuff - nicely drawn and funny gags.
I remember he did a stint as a reviewer in the NME briefly, about 1981 - he ripped into the likes of The Cure and the New Romantics !
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20200331_201156.jpg
Dick Dale (RIP) and Billy Bragg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I thought I had a Shane MacGowan autographed poster too. WTF did I do with that?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 8:18pm
I thought I had a Shane MacGowan autographed poster too. WTF did I do with that?
Check the walls?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
Check the walls?
Clearly we aren't married to the same person.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
Would genuinely love to see what a Shane scribble might look like.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 9:03pm
revbob wrote:
Im thinking when I moved I must have lost it. I completely forgot I ever had it...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 9:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Im thinking when I moved I must have lost it. I completely forgot I ever had it...
So did Shane

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 9:31pm
revbob wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 9:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
So did Shane
Hello,

101, you're butter!