Just the ticket!

General music discussion.
AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Re: Just the ticket!

Post by AudioAmmunition »

Another big Stones gig, this time the Bridges to Babylon tour. Remember shooting straight out at end to avoid the crowds, walking down a side street to car and 5 black limos passing with the windows blacked out - obviously the band also avoiding the crowds!
1998-08-26 - The Rolling Stones.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 8:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 8:53am
Great tickets audio ammunition. I wish I had thought of saving mine earlier than I did. I only started when I saw my mate Graham saving his.
Thanks Marky, just trying to match your excellent collection!

Went to many gigs at legendary Scarborough Penthouse Club where you just paid at the door - no tickets issued so no mementoes. Saw Pistols, Stranglers, Adverts, Xray Spex, Sham 69, Wreckless Eric, Pretenders, Joe Jackson, David Johansen and Syl Sylvain, The Fall, Slaughter and loads more there. Sadly they never managed to book The Clash or The Buzzcocks, had to travel to see The Clash and never got to see 'Cocks.
Nice list. I saw loads of punk bands through the years. Apart from the Pistols I saw them all first time out. Thanks for sharing your tickets / memories. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Hugh Cornwell solo show 2003 in a small theatre. He started by saying he was playing his solo stuff in the first half and then the Stranglers' stuff in the second half so that no-one left! Got his autograph afterwards, was disappointed as he was selling his hardback and I had only taken a few quid in change as I wasn't going anywhere else. Would loved to have got the book autographed by him. Luckily picked up a signed copy of the book next day in Waterstone's, not quite the same though.
2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell Autograph.jpg[/attachment [attachment=1]2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell.jpg
Attachments
2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell Autograph.jpg
2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell Autograph.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell.jpg
2003-03-28 - Hugh Cornwell.jpg (94.04 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Razorlight 2004, around the time of release of 'Up All Night' and JB was proclaimed by NME as latest 'Future Of Rock 'n' Roll. I still think that's a great album (and the follow up) despite JB's later 'crimes' against music - I mean 'Slipway Fires' WTF was that all about and where were the guitars, and the reviews of his solo album were enough for me to not even bother trying to listen never mind buy. Support bands were Duke Spirit who had some success and The Dogs.
2004-10-01 - Razorlight.jpg
2004-10-01 - Razorlight.jpg (103.02 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

The Raveonettes who I was quite into for a while. I remember standing right in front of Sharin Foo at this gig and was half convinced there were extra vocals on tape or she was part miming, the vocals didn't seem to quite sync with what I was seeing. The guitarist got up to some crazy Hendrix-like stuff with his guitar, I remember him laying it on the floor and playing it.
2005-03-10 - The Raveonettes.jpg
2005-03-10 - The Raveonettes.jpg (111.42 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

SLF, a band who I never got to see first time round. Still great live with loads of energy, Jake carrying quite a few more pounds than in the 70s though.
2008-02-29 - Stiff Little Fingers.jpg
2008-02-29 - Stiff Little Fingers.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 8:17am
The Jam 27-11-79 at Bridlington Spa, a regular hotspot for punk gigs. Saw The Clash there twice, The Jam three times, The Stranglers, Costello and a few others. Support for the Jam was The Vapors.

1979-11-27 - The Jam.jpg
Bridlington seems such a weird place for punk bands to play. My Mam used to take me down there for trips when I was a kid as she had union conferences there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
Great tickets audio ammunition. I wish I had thought of saving mine earlier than I did. I only started when I saw my mate Graham saving his.
All the early shows I went to they took the ticket off you to stop any dodgy stuff - I guess they didn’t have the tear off part.
I know that was the case for New Theatre Oxford where I am sure you must have seen a few shows?
My first gig there was Elvis Costello, Richard Hell and Voifoids and John Cooper Clark 1978.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 4:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
All the early shows I went to they took the ticket off you to stop any dodgy stuff - I guess they didn’t have the tear off part.
I know that was the case for New Theatre Oxford where I am sure you must have seen a few shows?
My first gig there was Elvis Costello, Richard Hell and Voifoids and John Cooper Clark 1978.
A lot of early gigs I went to I just rocked up and paid on the door.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 5:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah if you're just showing up at the door and paying you dont really need a ticket

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 5:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah if you're just showing up at the door and paying you dont really need a ticket
It was way easier back in the day to get in or get tickets from either the venues or touts. Or bribe the doorman.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 5:42pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It was way easier back in the day to get in or get tickets from either the venues or touts. Or bribe the doorman.
Well some places are pretty small and
Ive done plenty of walk ups just before the show where you pay and they stamp your hand. I was thinking where my stubs would be for various shows and between walk ups and buying online or over the phone and just showing ID at the door I don't have too many.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 5:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Well some places are pretty small and
Ive done plenty of walk ups just before the show where you pay and they stamp your hand. I was thinking where my stubs would be for various shows and between walk ups and buying online or over the phone and just showing ID at the door I don't have too many.
When I did get a ticket early on I just threw them away or they ended up in the washing machines in my jeans. Lots of heavy drinking and pogoing back then. As you say some real small venues and where I lived in Reading they were literally on my doorstep.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Hello,

More than once, I just went to will call or told the doorman Johnny left me a ticket....What, my name's not there...Yesterday, he told me he'd leave you my name...I'm going to tear him a new one...Sometimes it wouldn't work but quite often, they'd just let me in.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 5:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Hello,

More than once, I just went to will call or told the doorman Johnny left me a ticket....What, my name's not there...Yesterday, he told me he'd leave you my name...I'm going to tear him a new one...Sometimes it wouldn't work but quite often, they'd just let me in.
I knew the door staff at The After Dark club. I rarely paid to get in. Bought a few drinks though. Saw loads of great gigs there Johnny Thunders/Dr. Feelgood/Manics/Birdland/The Lurkers/Lush/Swervedriver/Supergrass all less than 10 mins walk to my front door.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia