Punk … for credit

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Punk … for credit

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm grading reviews of a book on SoCal punk, covering both the original Hollywood scene and Huntington Beach hardcore that followed. What's interesting to me is that people almost completely ignore the original scene—X, Germs, The Go-Go's, Screamers—in favour of hardcore. Given that these students barely know anything about punk, I think they're going off notoriety and stereotypes, believing hardcore is the "authentic" form.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:03pm
I'm grading reviews of a book on SoCal punk, covering both the original Hollywood scene and Huntington Beach hardcore that followed. What's interesting to me is that people almost completely ignore the original scene—X, Germs, The Go-Go's, Screamers—in favour of hardcore. Given that these students barely know anything about punk, I think they're going off notoriety and stereotypes, believing hardcore is the "authentic" form.
They are wrong. Give them all F's, please.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hmmm, or maybe they're extremely right and correct and deserve As.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They're earning surprisingly low marks overall, but not because of that. Well, yes, because of that—they're not reading what's presented, only drawing from what seems familiar. It betrays an unconscious resistance to learn, to avoid absorbing new ideas.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wonder if I can enroll you so that I can give you an F.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:12pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They're earning surprisingly low marks overall, but not because of that. Well, yes, because of that—they're not reading what's presented, only drawing from what seems familiar. It betrays an unconscious resistance to learn, to avoid absorbing new ideas.
What would they even be familiar with?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
"From D. Boon to Dave Matthews: A New Synthesis"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'd read it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What would they even be familiar with?
In essence, that Quincy episode. Not it specifically, but the idea of fast, loud music and kids beating the fuck out of each other and engaging in property crime. The stereotypes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 6:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
See me after class. And call your parents.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Which is really a shame, because from my recollection that's when all the fun stopped and all the ex-football jocks jumped on the punk train.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 8:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Which is really a shame, because from my recollection that's when all the fun stopped and all the ex-football jocks jumped on the punk train.
That's exactly my perspective. Early LA punk—the Hollywood scene—was a beautiful collection of weirdos who didn't really share an aesthetic, just an interest in diverse expression. Kind of like the original NYC scene. But hardcore drove out the diversity in favour of rules and tests for who was Punk™. Hardcore is when the fans hijacked things and started gatekeeping. Hence my mantra: fans ruin everything.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 8:05pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's exactly my perspective. Early LA punk—the Hollywood scene—was a beautiful collection of weirdos who didn't really share an aesthetic, just an interest in diverse expression. Kind of like the original NYC scene. But hardcore drove out the diversity in favour of rules and tests for who was Punk™. Hardcore is when the fans hijacked things and started gatekeeping. Hence my mantra: fans ruin everything.
100% true!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

(I should add, tho, that hardcore has offered far more intellectual meat than other forms of punk except, perhaps, Riot Grrrl.)

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 8:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2023, 8:05pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
100% true!
Hello,

I'm kind of the same train of thought but perhaps with a different spin. It was those in search of an identity to adopt to become cool rather than those who truly shared the values of the ethos (that reads really pretentious). The rules for hardcore seem pretty simple - I'm not sure as I'm not a fan - and the people I'm thinking of weren't really interested in the values of hardcore - rather than the simple behaviors/fashion and belonging to a cool/extreme group - basically posers.