"Classic" 90's songs you can't stand!!!

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: "Classic" 90's songs you can't stand!!!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:14pm
Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:09pm
Heston wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 1:35pm
Wasn't grunge just heavy rock with shit clothes?
Very bland heavy rock. Perhaps more bland than you could ever imagine.
Speaking of bland, it kind of blows my mind that Pearl Jam are still selling out very large venues.
I absolutely LOATHE Pearl Jam. I get why people liked Nirvana. I get why people liked Soundgarden. I love Alice in Chains (Dirt is a masterpiece). But Pearl Jam? They are like the Bad Company or some shit like that of the 90s. They're just a boring classic rock band who happened to wear flannel and come from Seattle. And Eddie Vedder has a grating voice.
They're the next generation of Rush. Mediocre personified, yet inspiring inexplicable devotion from fans.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:16pm
matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 10:47am
BitterTom wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:35am
matedog wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 6:37pm

So...it's an Oasis song.
They were massively overrated but their first 2 albums were decent.
It's very interesting to see the US vs UK perspective. For me, Oasis had a couple songs I heard a bit on the radio in the mid-90's - Live Forever, Wonderwall, Champagne, Don't Look Back. But they were never huge here. Consequently, I think they were a fine little band with a handful of perfectly good songs I didn't mind hearing on the radio on occasion.
Why do you say “fine little band” can’t you just say fine band without adding the dismissive ‘little’?
What’s The Story alone has sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time (4th in UK history).
Because that's how they seemed at the time. They had a couple minor hits, that's all, and then went away after a year or so. They had that All Around the World song I remember seeing the video a couple times after and then they were gone for good. Wonderwall made it to 8 on the charts and Don't Look Back to 55 and that's all they ever did in the states. To me, they were about as big as Alice in Chains or 311 (though those are weird comparisons).

I have no idea how the album sales rank in the US because I can't find a list that goes beyond the top 100 or so. The disparity is dramatic.
Fair enough just sounds like an odd description.
What’s the Story got to #4 on the US album charts.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:42pm
Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:36pm
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:

It's very interesting to see the US vs UK perspective. For me, Oasis had a couple songs I heard a bit on the radio in the mid-90's - Live Forever, Wonderwall, Champagne, Don't Look Back. But they were never huge here. Consequently, I think they were a fine little band with a handful of perfectly good songs I didn't mind hearing on the radio on occasion.
Why do you say “fine little band” can’t you just say fine band without adding the dismissive ‘little’?
What’s The Story alone has sold over 20 million copies and is one of the best selling albums of all time (4th in UK history).
Because that's how they seemed at the time. They had a couple minor hits, that's all, and then went away after a year or so. They had that All Around the World song I remember seeing the video a couple times after and then they were gone for good. Wonderwall made it to 8 on the charts and Don't Look Back to 55 and that's all they ever did in the states. To me, they were about as big as Alice in Chains or 311 (though those are weird comparisons).

I have no idea how the album sales rank in the US because I can't find a list that goes beyond the top 100 or so. The disparity is dramatic.
The only people I knew in the 90s that were huge oasis fans were the kind of people who spent a single semester abroad and came back with a Guy-Richie-era Madonna accent.
My roommate at the time hopped aboard because, he said, Lars from Metallica endorsed them.
Lars is the member of Metallica even Metallica fans make fun of.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 2:43pm
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I can corroborate Matey's assessment—they were basically a blip here.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 3:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:

I can corroborate Matey's assessment—they were basically a blip here.
63rd best selling album of the 90’s in US.
I get they didn’t have the same commercial exposure in the US as UK but still one of the worlds best selling bands.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Again: oasis fans here were a cult thing. Large cult, but they barely left an impact outside of it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here's the thing: Apart from the early 80s, when MTV was responsible for a second British Invasion, for the most part UK acts haven't made much of an impact on the North American mainstream music scene (emphasis on mainstream; indie and dance and other subfields, sure). And for the most part, American bands haven't had much of an impact on the UK charts. Cross-pollination is just a rare bird.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 3:55pm
Here's the thing: Apart from the early 80s, when MTV was responsible for a second British Invasion, for the most part UK acts haven't made much of an impact on the North American mainstream music scene (emphasis on mainstream; indie and dance and other subfields, sure). And for the most part, American bands haven't had much of an impact on the UK charts. Cross-pollination is just a rare bird.
The UK charts are absolutely dominated by North American acts.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Really? Is this a recent development? I recall reading as recently as five years ago the segregation by nationality on both sides of the Atlantic.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billbo ... 1996-02-24
They were just ahead of Bush and President of the United States of America. All three bands seemed similarly popular at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:06pm
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billbo ... 1996-02-24
They were just ahead of Bush and President of the United States of America. All three bands seemed similarly popular at the time.
Oh I heard the other two a lot more often.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:05pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Really? Is this a recent development? I recall reading as recently as five years ago the segregation by nationality on both sides of the Atlantic.
Wrap it up boys: we won.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you consider this a victory. Then you are more than welcome to it. So in reality you lost and in fact we all lost. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:12pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you consider this a victory. Then you are more than welcome to it. So in reality you lost and in fact we all lost. ;)
Oh I was joking. I haven’t given a shit about charts in decades.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 4:12pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Oh I was joking. I haven’t given a shit about charts in decades.
Thank fuck for that. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia