Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

General music discussion.

Best Power of Love?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood
7
50%
Jennifer Rush
1
7%
Huey Lewis and The News
6
43%
 
Total votes: 14

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83652
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Aug 2019, 5:41pm

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:32pm
And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted
Hey, don't knock Cutting Crew. Me and Tom love (I just Died) In Your Arms Tonight.
Terrible. Just terrible.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 18797
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by 101Walterton » 27 Aug 2019, 6:00pm

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:34pm
It's weird that Jennifer Rush's song was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK in 1985 but hardly made an impression in the States. Especially when it fits almost every demographic for a huge US hit, and went to number one in almost every other country in the world. American singer, huge hair, massive AOR production, absolutely shit, all boxes ticked. These things always puzzle me. I know Celine Dion eventually had a hit in America with it but that was a few years later.
What was the biggest selling single in US in 1985?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 30925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Heston » 27 Aug 2019, 6:06pm

101Walterton wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 6:00pm
Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:34pm
It's weird that Jennifer Rush's song was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK in 1985 but hardly made an impression in the States. Especially when it fits almost every demographic for a huge US hit, and went to number one in almost every other country in the world. American singer, huge hair, massive AOR production, absolutely shit, all boxes ticked. These things always puzzle me. I know Celine Dion eventually had a hit in America with it but that was a few years later.
What was the biggest selling single in US in 1985?
KISS - "I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock And Roll"
Why should I plan for the future? Let the future make plans for me.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2544
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by BitterTom » 27 Aug 2019, 6:06pm

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:32pm
And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted
Hey, don't knock Cutting Crew. Me and Tom love (I just Died) In Your Arms Tonight.
Fantastic song. Love it.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 30925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Heston » 27 Aug 2019, 6:08pm

BitterTom wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:32pm
And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted
Hey, don't knock Cutting Crew. Me and Tom love (I just Died) In Your Arms Tonight.
Fantastic song. Love it.
I just put a live version on in celebration. Not my usual thing at all but a great melody that overcomes the antiseptic 1987 production.
Why should I plan for the future? Let the future make plans for me.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 83652
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Aug 2019, 6:33pm

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 6:08pm
BitterTom wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 5:32pm
And the result was a summer of hits by unknowns like Johnny Hates Jazz, T'Pau, and Cutting Crew. Even shitty songs can become a hit if that's all that's being promoted
Hey, don't knock Cutting Crew. Me and Tom love (I just Died) In Your Arms Tonight.
Fantastic song. Love it.
I just put a live version on in celebration. Not my usual thing at all but a great melody that overcomes the antiseptic 1987 production.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 42577
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Aug 2019, 5:22am

Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:37pm
Heston wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 4:34pm
It's weird that Jennifer Rush's song was the biggest selling single of the year in the UK in 1985 but hardly made an impression in the States. Especially when it fits almost every demographic for a huge US hit, and went to number one in almost every other country in the world. American singer, huge hair, massive AOR production, absolutely shit, all boxes ticked. These things always puzzle me. I know Celine Dion eventually had a hit in America with it but that was a few years later.
Read Fredric Dannen's Hit Men, about how payola worked in the 70s and 80s. It's possible that here record company just didn't apply the cash to the right people in the right places.
Sometimes I don't want to see behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain, I want to believe what was presented to me back then. That every song got to where it got to on merit. Does sound an interesting book though.
I like the first line of your reply here Heston. But boy the 80s records sure had a lot of editions coloured vinyl, picture discs, gatefold double packs, 12" mixes and remixes, free t-shirt, free cassette etc the list is endless.

Some great singles got to number one by not only being great but also by the band's reputation like The Jam with "Going Underground" a song that was meant to be the B-side. Polydor knew exactly when to release the single to get maximum sales and then release a Ltd edition double pack with a free live ep. Having the label on your side really helped.
Image

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2544
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by BitterTom » 28 Aug 2019, 5:22pm

Do we get a better poll this week Heston?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 30925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Friday Poll Thread #7 - Best Power of Love

Post by Heston » 28 Aug 2019, 6:08pm

BitterTom wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 5:22pm
Do we get a better poll this week Heston?
Most definitely not. Check my form.
Why should I plan for the future? Let the future make plans for me.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests