I need a publishing/royalties boffin

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 3:32pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 2:55pm
She's pushing for yet another photo shoot only two months after the last photo shoot and it seems like the universe telling me to get out, because:
1. I don't want to fucking do another one. I hate them, and it's just another example of our vastly different motivations for being in a band
2. I don't want them to not be able to use the photos when I'm gone shortly thereafter

I was planning to wait until everything was secured, likely in October, but she is really pushing for this because nobody else was satisfied with the last shoot.
I think I'd try to hold out until you get some firm direction from credible sources (of which reddit... may or may not be).
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88906
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
You could get the shit kicked out of you, tarnishing your boy band-like visage.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:11pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
You could get the shit kicked out of you, tarnishing your boy band-like visage.
Is that an offer?
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33440
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
Flex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 3:32pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 2:55pm
She's pushing for yet another photo shoot only two months after the last photo shoot and it seems like the universe telling me to get out, because:
1. I don't want to fucking do another one. I hate them, and it's just another example of our vastly different motivations for being in a band
2. I don't want them to not be able to use the photos when I'm gone shortly thereafter

I was planning to wait until everything was secured, likely in October, but she is really pushing for this because nobody else was satisfied with the last shoot.
I think I'd try to hold out until you get some firm direction from credible sources (of which reddit... may or may not be).
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
Wear a mask like Mick in the RtC video.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:12pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
Flex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 3:32pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 2:55pm
She's pushing for yet another photo shoot only two months after the last photo shoot and it seems like the universe telling me to get out, because:
1. I don't want to fucking do another one. I hate them, and it's just another example of our vastly different motivations for being in a band
2. I don't want them to not be able to use the photos when I'm gone shortly thereafter

I was planning to wait until everything was secured, likely in October, but she is really pushing for this because nobody else was satisfied with the last shoot.
I think I'd try to hold out until you get some firm direction from credible sources (of which reddit... may or may not be).
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
Wear a mask like Mick in the RtC video.
Or hire some feeb to do it for me and put the mask on them.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88906
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:11pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
You could get the shit kicked out of you, tarnishing your boy band-like visage.
Is that an offer?
I can't believe there isn't a line around the block of people in your neighbourhood who wouldn't oblige.

edit: Alternately:
Image
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:21pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:11pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
You could get the shit kicked out of you, tarnishing your boy band-like visage.
Is that an offer?
I can't believe there isn't a line around the block of people in your neighbourhood who wouldn't oblige.

edit: Alternately:
Utter classic. Would be alright if I actually wanted to do the thing. I really just don't want to leave them with a bunch of unusable photos.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29129
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
I'm probably being an obtuse idiot, but is the problem that you have to share the expense out of pocket or something?
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 5:00pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 4:03pm
I can't think of a way to put off the photo shoot though. If anybody has any advice there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Its purpose is to give us promo photos for the album that's about to be released, so everybody except me is all about it. I asked to get it pushed out to November because I'm still burned out from the last one, but she said we're going to take a load of the photos outdoors.
I'm probably being an obtuse idiot, but is the problem that you have to share the expense out of pocket or something?
I'm not sure about that—she might pay out of her own pocket. I just really hate these things. The guy she wants to go with this time is extremely anxious and frenetic, constantly complaining about the models, the setting, how difficult his job is, how he wished he had brought this or that. For someone like me that has a major aversion to self-promotion, glamor, wardrobe changes, being called fat in the process and doing all this for 10 hours straight, it's not much fun to add the photographer's cartoonish levels of anxiety to my own. Also as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to leave them with a bunch of shots they can't use, and I certainly don't want to spend my time on a 10 hour photo shoot that's never going to get used.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29129
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 5:15pm
I'm not sure about that—she might pay out of her own pocket. I just really hate these things. The guy she wants to go with this time is extremely anxious and frenetic, constantly complaining about the models, the setting, how difficult his job is, how he wished he had brought this or that. For someone like me that has a major aversion to self-promotion, glamor, wardrobe changes, being called fat in the process and doing all this for 10 hours straight, it's not much fun to add the photographer's cartoonish levels of anxiety to my own. Also as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to leave them with a bunch of shots they can't use, and I certainly don't want to spend my time on a 10 hour photo shoot that's never going to get used.
Gotcha. Yeah, doesn't sound like fun. I guess it's just a balance between how much surety you want on having royalties secured vs having to deal with the shoot. I guess I'm risk averse on these things, but I don't think I'd be confident quitting until there's a signed agreement in hand and would probably just suck up the 10 hours of hell if I didn't have that secured. That said, I can't really assess how shitty this actually is and, as you say, maybe if you get some written document of intent that will suffice (not a lawyer, so I have no idea).

Also, maybe I'm an asshole, but I don't think I'd give two shits about rendering their photo shoot useless by quitting a week or two later. Fuck all of 'em, from the sounds of it.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88906
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm with Flex re. leaving them with useless photos. Keep in mind that she is, by your account, a racist and an abusive control freak. She hasn't earned your good conscience.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:10pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 5:15pm
I'm not sure about that—she might pay out of her own pocket. I just really hate these things. The guy she wants to go with this time is extremely anxious and frenetic, constantly complaining about the models, the setting, how difficult his job is, how he wished he had brought this or that. For someone like me that has a major aversion to self-promotion, glamor, wardrobe changes, being called fat in the process and doing all this for 10 hours straight, it's not much fun to add the photographer's cartoonish levels of anxiety to my own. Also as I mentioned earlier, I don't want to leave them with a bunch of shots they can't use, and I certainly don't want to spend my time on a 10 hour photo shoot that's never going to get used.
Gotcha. Yeah, doesn't sound like fun. I guess it's just a balance between how much surety you want on having royalties secured vs having to deal with the shoot. I guess I'm risk averse on these things, but I don't think I'd be confident quitting until there's a signed agreement in hand and would probably just suck up the 10 hours of hell if I didn't have that secured. That said, I can't really assess how shitty this actually is and, as you say, maybe if you get some written document of intent that will suffice (not a lawyer, so I have no idea).

Also, maybe I'm an asshole, but I don't think I'd give two shits about rendering their photo shoot useless by quitting a week or two later. Fuck all of 'em, from the sounds of it.
Lol, well I'm friends outside of the band with the guitarist so I don't want to fuck him over, I just don't like working with him if the singer is involved because he pretends to back me up and then just winds up doing whatever she wants.

I've found an entertainment lawyer in Seattle that does free initial consultations over email, So I've dropped them a line about the FB Messenger strategy. Hopefully they get back very soon as say it's LEGALLY BINDING. Thanks for all the advice gang!
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12213
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:31pm
I'm with Flex re. leaving them with useless photos. Keep in mind that she is, by your account, a racist and an abusive control freak. She hasn't earned your good conscience.
I guess it may come to that if this lawyer I've contacted doesn't have good news. I just really dread the idea of doing yet another shoot, especially since it will mean that I'll have done exactly as many photo shoots as played shows with them. Which is obviously an insane ratio for a "band."
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88906
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:33pm
I've found an entertainment lawyer in Seattle that does free initial consultations over email, So I've dropped them a line about the FB Messenger strategy. Hopefully they get back very soon as say it's LEGALLY BINDING. Thanks for all the advice gang!
Uh, you owe us all $50.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88906
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:31pm
I'm with Flex re. leaving them with useless photos. Keep in mind that she is, by your account, a racist and an abusive control freak. She hasn't earned your good conscience.
I guess it may come to that if this lawyer I've contacted doesn't have good news. I just really dread the idea of doing yet another shoot, especially since it will mean that I'll have done exactly as many photo shoots as played shows with them. Which is obviously an insane ratio for a "band."
Wow, that's crazy. The band isn't into playing shows?

(You could have “fun” with the shoot and just be a dick and do your own thing. Be “that guy.”)
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply