Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 7:51pm
Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 7:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 6:38pm
Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 4:57pm
Well now two weeks later and after a pretty successful show, the two leaders are pleading with me to stay in the band, saying that things will be different. Now I'm gaslighting myself about walking away from an opportunity, but I have more evidence that things will NOT change if I stay on. People don't change.
also "everybody lies" and "it's never Lupus."
But, seriously, if it takes a threat to leave, they don't really respect your concerns or else they would have addressed them earlier, in a non-desperation scenario.
That's pretty much what I've been telling them. It’s almost hilarious her saying that things will be different now, since I pretty much decided to quit around that huge argument we had in April, after which they decided to go ahead and film a music video without me and Jeff. Like THAT WAS YOUR CHANCE. Why would I believe you that this time would be different? Just because you know you've finally pushed me out the door?
If you were serious about thinking of re-upping and wanted to see how sincere they were about your concerns, ask if they're willing to put shit in writing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 8:38pm
Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 6:38pm

But, seriously, if it takes a threat to leave, they don't really respect your concerns or else they would have addressed them earlier, in a non-desperation scenario.
That's pretty much what I've been telling them. It’s almost hilarious her saying that things will be different now, since I pretty much decided to quit around that huge argument we had in April, after which they decided to go ahead and film a music video without me and Jeff. Like THAT WAS YOUR CHANCE. Why would I believe you that this time would be different? Just because you know you've finally pushed me out the door?
If you were serious about thinking of re-upping and wanted to see how sincere they were about your concerns, ask if they're willing to put shit in writing.
I can't imagine what that contract would look like because it's so much interpersonal stuff too, just the way she reacts to people disagreeing with her. You can't really tie somebody down on their personality.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 9:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I can't imagine what that contract would look like because it's so much interpersonal stuff too, just the way she reacts to people disagreeing with her. You can't really tie somebody down on their personality.
Fair enough if it's a personality thing. If you can't come up with hypothetical demands that could be laid down in print, that's suggestive of your state of mind toward all this. Think of yourself as like part of the parade of PiL bassists who realized that Lydon ain't worth it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 9:10pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair enough if it's a personality thing. If you can't come up with hypothetical demands that could be laid down in print, that's suggestive of your state of mind toward all this. Think of yourself as like part of the parade of PiL bassists who realized that Lydon ain't worth it.
I call Pete Jones!

I just hope they don't have any real success. It would be kind of annoying seeing them succeed on the back of my basslines while I languish with a less successful band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 1:55pm
I call Pete Jones!
Oooo, the magic 8-ball landed on Louie Bernardi. Sorry.
I just hope they don't have any real success. It would be kind of annoying seeing them succeed on the back of my basslines while I languish with a less successful band.
Pete Best and Stephen Duffy might be looking for a bass player …

But if your assessment of the singer is that she wants fame more than to make music, any success would seem to be built to short-circuit.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 2:11pm
Kory wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 1:55pm
I call Pete Jones!
Oooo, the magic 8-ball landed on Louie Bernardi. Sorry.
CRAP.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 2:11pm
Pete Best and Stephen Duffy might be looking for a bass player …

But if your assessment of the singer is that she wants fame more than to make music, any success would seem to be built to short-circuit.
Hooray!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Well it's begun, they've re-recorded over one of my basslines for the upcoming album. I'm going to have to get my money back if they do this any more, I'm not going to have paid to produce an album I don't play on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How'd this shake out?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

This:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I found a copy of the album on SoulSeek. Exceedingly retro 80s. Even setting aside the personality issues that pushed Kory away, this just doesn't sound like the kind of music that would excite him. To his credit, the funky bass is the most notable aspect of the sound even tho it's often buried in the mix. I'll still buy an autographed copy of the cd if the chance comes up.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 2:46pm
I found a copy of the album on SoulSeek. Exceedingly retro 80s. Even setting aside the personality issues that pushed Kory away, this just doesn't sound like the kind of music that would excite him. To his credit, the funky bass is the most notable aspect of the sound even tho it's often buried in the mix. I'll still buy an autographed copy of the cd if the chance comes up.
You said at the wake that you found Pink Noise, is this New Excuse that you found?

Stephen Hague hates bassists, you can ask Hooky all about it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You said at the wake that you found Pink Noise, is this New Excuse that you found?

Yup, the new one. The record's sound suggests, yeah, Hague hasn't left 1986 in his mind. I feel like I should be listening a chromium dioxide cassette in my sports Walkman.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, the new one. The record's sound suggests, yeah, Hague hasn't left 1986 in his mind. I feel like I should be listening a chromium dioxide cassette in my sports Walkman.
If you ever feel like listening to it again, here's a fun story: I wrote (among other things) the intro to the song "Saved," which Hague didn't like (he didn't really like anything about me, really), and he wanted us to replace it with basically a straight ripoff of the slow build intro from Bowie's "Let's Dance." He thought since our song sounded like the Bowie song already, it was a better intro, whereas I thought that we should try not to rip off other artists on purpose. You can just about hear the horns in there too, that he completely ripped from the same Bowie song. Shameful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If you ever feel like listening to it again, here's a fun story: I wrote (among other things) the intro to the song "Saved," which Hague didn't like (he didn't really like anything about me, really), and he wanted us to replace it with basically a straight ripoff of the slow build intro from Bowie's "Let's Dance." He thought since our song sounded like the Bowie song already, it was a better intro, whereas I thought that we should try not to rip off other artists on purpose. You can just about hear the horns in there too, that he completely ripped from the same Bowie song. Shameful.
What's funny is that as that one got underway, when the guitars kicked in, I immediately thought, "This is 'Let's Dance'!" Then the horns confirmed it. I completely understand your frustration in that band.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What's funny is that as that one got underway, when the guitars kicked in, I immediately thought, "This is 'Let's Dance'!" Then the horns confirmed it. I completely understand your frustration in that band.
After a particularly tense argument, Astra once said "I don't care about cliches." I'm very glad to be out, but the big stress now is trying to figure out what I want my own stuff to sound like.