Re: I need a publishing/royalties boffin

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:31pm
I'm with Flex re. leaving them with useless photos. Keep in mind that she is, by your account, a racist and an abusive control freak. She hasn't earned your good conscience.
I guess it may come to that if this lawyer I've contacted doesn't have good news. I just really dread the idea of doing yet another shoot, especially since it will mean that I'll have done exactly as many photo shoots as played shows with them. Which is obviously an insane ratio for a "band."
Wow, that's crazy. The band isn't into playing shows?

(You could have “fun” with the shoot and just be a dick and do your own thing. Be “that guy.”)
They are, we just didn't do any for a long time because we were preparing for the studio. But that doesn't really account for the time before that era started.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What's happening here? You a liberated man yet?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 10:54am
Yeah, we got the royalties registered a couple weeks ago and then I told them last practice that next Saturday is going to be my final show (though I am still on the hook for a January show if they don't find a replacement in time).

I'm a little ambivalent because I'm going to miss playing live and don't know how long it will be before I can get that going again. but I had enough people from other bands come up after shows to compliment my playing that I might have some contacts.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, we got the royalties registered a couple weeks ago and then I told them last practice that next Saturday is going to be my final show (though I am still on the hook for a January show if they don't find a replacement in time).

I'm a little ambivalent because I'm going to miss playing live and don't know how long it will be before I can get that going again. but I had enough people from other bands come up after shows to compliment my playing that I might have some contacts.
Congrats all around. Last show means you get to indulge in a 45-minute bass solo (or until the audience leavers; whichever comes first).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Congrats all around. Last show means you get to indulge in a 45-minute bass solo (or until the audience leavers; whichever comes first).
Thanks! I think the audience is mostly going to be my friends, so I give it about 30 seconds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Thanks! I think the audience is mostly going to be my friends, so I give it about 30 seconds.
I'd wait 45 seconds, but that's because I'm a better person than your friends. :shifty:

(When's the album come out?)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 4:07pm
Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 3:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd wait 45 seconds, but that's because I'm a better person than your friends. :shifty:

She's shopping it around to labels now, and she said that if they don't get a bite by the end of December, they should self-release in February. Which will probably be the case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 5:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She's shopping it around to labels now, and she said that if they don't get a bite by the end of December, they should self-release in February. Which will probably be the case.
I'm still a "jerky Kory the jerk" completist, so I'll be buying a copy. I'll even go for the physical copy if you autograph it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 5:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm still a "jerky Kory the jerk" completist, so I'll be buying a copy. I'll even go for the physical copy if you autograph it.
Well by that time I won't have anything to do with them selling it, but i suppose I could get a copy to sign and send to you directly...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well by that time I won't have anything to do with them selling it, but i suppose I could get a copy to sign and send to you directly...
That'd be superduper keen. If I buy it from you directly, you'll get a shitload more than your royalty cut, too.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 6:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That'd be superduper keen. If I buy it from you directly, you'll get a shitload more than your royalty cut, too.
My cut is only for performance royalties, like if another band plays the song or if it gets played on the PA of a store or something. I'm not going to see a dime from physical sales. I'd probably just wind up buying it and then selling it to you for the same price, if the signature is worth that much to you (if it is, I'd like you to see a therapist).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My cut is only for performance royalties, like if another band plays the song or if it gets played on the PA of a store or something. I'm not going to see a dime from physical sales. I'd probably just wind up buying it and then selling it to you for the same price, if the signature is worth that much to you (if it is, I'd like you to see a therapist).
Well, if you don't get any sales royalties, I'm more inclined to pirate it then! But I've bought your stuff before, so I'm very happy to keep doing so, but only if you see the money.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 6:58pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, if you don't get any sales royalties, I'm more inclined to pirate it then! But I've bought your stuff before, so I'm very happy to keep doing so, but only if you see the money.
I appreciate that, though I'm not sure anyone would care enough about this thing to make it available for pirating!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I appreciate that, though I'm not sure anyone would care enough about this thing to make it available for pirating!
All kinds of shitty records get pirated. :shifty: (I kid, I kid.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 8:04pm
Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 8:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

All kinds of shitty records get pirated. :shifty: (I kid, I kid.)
I really did do my best with these guys to increase the quality of their music by introducing the idea of transitions, intros, outros, etc. In some cases I was semi-successful, in other cases they were very resistant, but in a lot of other cases, Stephen Hague stripped my ideas away in the interest of "streamlining" and radio-friendliness. His aesthetic is very apparent from the stuff he did in the 80s, and he hasn't changed much since then.