Who have you rediscovered lately?

General music discussion.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: Who have you rediscovered lately?

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
Olaf wrote:Guess what my answer to tomorrow's trivia question is going to be.
Lederhosen?
Only if the question is "What's your favourite Saxon album?" (Denim and Lederhosen)
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Lederhosen?
Only if the question is "What's your favourite Saxon album?" (Denim and Lederhosen)
Denim and Lederhosen
Are the clothes that are chosen
It was YOU
That inspired this parody
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

tepista wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Heston wrote:
Lederhosen?
Denim and Lederhosen
Are the fabrics that are chosen
It was YOU
That inspired this parody
:mrgreen:

Weird Al Yankovic's got nothing on this dude!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Yeah, tep's lyrics are always better than the original. Though in the case of Saxon it's pretty hard not to improve them.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

I revisited my high school years recently, and re-bought (on iTunes) some old tunes from Green Day's 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours album, and some Alice in Chains...

I did the same with Violent Femmes a while ago (and the Doors --- went through a HUGE Doors phase when I was about 14), but I got tired of them after the first re-listen -- found myself forwarding every time they came on -- so took them off my iPod again... I think sometimes I just need to re-hear them once for nostalgia's sake and that's good enough; not something I want part of my constant rotation.
...advertising and kokaine.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I recently rediscovered X-Ray Spex. Fucking cool band, don't know why I don't listen more often.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

DrugProwlingWolf wrote:I recently rediscovered X-Ray Spex. Fucking cool band, don't know why I don't listen more often.
Same here. I absolutely love them when they're playing, but I don't make a point of playing them that often. Very strange.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
DrugProwlingWolf wrote:I recently rediscovered X-Ray Spex. Fucking cool band, don't know why I don't listen more often.
Same here. I absolutely love them when they're playing, but I don't make a point of playing them that often. Very strange.
I was toying with starting a thread of bands you love unconditionally while listening to, that you would never call your "favorite band," or would likely never list in your top 5 favorite bands.

Such bands (for me) include: The Pixies, Stereo Total, The Adverts, Fugazi (they sometimes do make my top 5, but not consistently...), Helmet, the Kinks, The Beatles, The Subhumans, T. Rex, and the the first three albums by Manic Street Preachers. And probably about 30 more.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Such bands (for me) include: The Pixies, Stereo Total, The Adverts, Fugazi (they sometimes do make my top 5, but not consistently...), Helmet, the Kinks, The Beatles, The Subhumans, T. Rex, and the the first three albums by Manic Street Preachers. And probably about 30 more.
My such bands? All music. My top five favorite? Slapshot five times. And anyone who disagrees with me is a fucking pussy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Such bands (for me) include: The Pixies, Stereo Total, The Adverts, Fugazi (they sometimes do make my top 5, but not consistently...), Helmet, the Kinks, The Beatles, The Subhumans, T. Rex, and the the first three albums by Manic Street Preachers. And probably about 30 more.
My such bands? All music. My top five favorite? Slapshot five times. And anyone who disagrees with me is a fucking pussy.
My top five bands? "Asbestos, Lead, Asbestos" by World Domination Enterprises played 600 times in a row. And anyone who says that makes no sense is an even bigger pussy than people who disagree with Flex.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was toying with starting a thread of bands you love unconditionally while listening to, that you would never call your "favorite band," or would likely never list in your top 5 favorite bands.

Such bands (for me) include: The Pixies, Stereo Total, The Adverts, Fugazi (they sometimes do make my top 5, but not consistently...), Helmet, the Kinks, The Beatles, The Subhumans, T. Rex, and the the first three albums by Manic Street Preachers. And probably about 30 more.
Spex, The Slits, The Fall, The Go-Go's, Supergrass, Pixies, early Who, The The, New Order, DK's, Camera Obscura (playing right now, in fact), J & MC, Bauhaus, Eels …
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

nsc
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by nsc »

be bop deluxe

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Spex, The Slits, The Fall, The Go-Go's, Supergrass, Pixies, early Who, The The, New Order, DK's, Camera Obscura (playing right now, in fact), J & MC, Bauhaus, Eels …
....I started making a list like this, but then it just turned into a My Top 50 Bands list, and I think that loses sight of your criteria.... I need more criteria. ;)

Pixies / Joy Division both land somewhere in my 'favorites' list, so I'm not sure I can include them... I suppose Adam & the Ants / Beatles would count...?

How about a 'Your Top 50 Bands' thread --- attempting to get them IN ORDER. Heh? Heh? Could be a good challenge. ;)
...advertising and kokaine.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

KokaKola wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

....I started making a list like this, but then it just turned into a My Top 50 Bands list, and I think that loses sight of your criteria.... I need more criteria. ;)

Pixies / Joy Division both land somewhere in my 'favorites' list, so I'm not sure I can include them... I suppose Adam & the Ants / Beatles would count...?

How about a 'Your Top 50 Bands' thread --- attempting to get them IN ORDER. Heh? Heh? Could be a good challenge. ;)
Yeah Wolt, more criteria. I could list about 2,000 bands under the terms you mention.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
KokaKola wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Same here. I absolutely love them when they're playing, but I don't make a point of playing them that often. Very strange.

Yeah Wolt, more criteria. I could list about 2,000 bands under the terms you mention.
Yeah. That's why I wrote "I was toying with," not "I'm going to."