Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 8:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 8:26pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 6:13pm
Is it me next?

I'm offering up a lost pop tune from the early 90s by a Liverpool band called Rain. The Septics will probably hate this but it's a lovely melody in the tradition of The La's or Cast...

I can definitely hear Cast. The vocal is a bit odd. Initially it's really distracted, even lazy sounding, then explodes. But it's a neat little single.

This just popped into my brain machine. Mid-90s Irish group called Blink. Certainly sounds of its time.
I like it best when it does the rapping bit from 1:38 or so.
That part really ties it to its time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Forced Listening Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Is it me next?

I'm offering up a lost pop tune from the early 90s by a Liverpool band called Rain. The Septics will probably hate this but it's a lovely melody in the tradition of The La's or Cast...

I can definitely hear Cast. The vocal is a bit odd. Initially it's really distracted, even lazy sounding, then explodes. But it's a neat little single.

This just popped into my brain machine. Mid-90s Irish group called Blink. Certainly sounds of its time.
If this was sung by nearly anyone else, I'd love it. Total 90s feel to the music (not to mention the video.) I really loved it musically have to say but as soon as his voice turned up, it ruined it for me. Didn't link well to my ears, shame.

I'm going with Motorhead and one of the most beautiful guitar solos I've heard. At first this just sounds like bog standard Motorhead, not bad but not mind blowing. All of a sudden the middle 8 kicks in, BANG! One perfect solo from Phil Campbell. Great stuff.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

BitterTom wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 4:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Is it me next?

If this was sung by nearly anyone else, I'd love it. Total 90s feel to the music (not to mention the video.) I really loved it musically have to say but as soon as his voice turned up, it ruined it for me. Didn't link well to my ears, shame.

I'm going with Motorhead and one of the most beautiful guitar solos I've heard. At first this just sounds like bog standard Motorhead, not bad but not mind blowing. All of a sudden the middle 8 kicks in, BANG! One perfect solo from Phil Campbell. Great stuff.

I dunno. The guitar solo kinda ruined the ZZ Top feel for me.

If you don't like this one, you'll probably still enjoy the video

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Olaf wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 4:51pm

I kind of enjoy listening to foreign language music when I'm at work because I find it less distracting and I don't really get on with instrumental albums. I liked that I have no idea when that song that recorded or released but I'd guess mid-90s. I got the same vibe I did when listening to the Cardigans (not that I think they sound that much alike) where I was hoping for them to give it bit more welly and turn the distortion up on the guitars.

Not sure I should post this because I'll be devastated if anyone hates it
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 9:42pm
Olaf wrote:

I kind of enjoy listening to foreign language music when I'm at work because I find it less distracting and I don't really get on with instrumental albums. I liked that I have no idea when that song that recorded or released but I'd guess mid-90s. I got the same vibe I did when listening to the Cardigans (not that I think they sound that much alike) where I was hoping for them to give it bit more welly and turn the distortion up on the guitars.

Here you go

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

oliver wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 9:42pm
Olaf wrote:

I really like the song, it's got an almost hypnotic quality. Vocals are a bit Lucinda Williams-esque. Wouldn't go out of my way to seek out more from her though.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 10:12pm

Here you go

Oh well, that was really terrible. I bet Heston likes it.

So let's keep playing dominoes

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Olaf wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 3:48am
I'm liking this one a lot! Will be playing more.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Olaf wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 3:48am
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 10:12pm

Here you go

Oh well, that was really terrible. I bet Heston likes it.

So let's keep playing dominoes

Good groove, meaty guitar. Really enjoyed the music. Vocals warranted stronger vocals given the music, felt a little limp. Overall not bad.

I've gone for Rage Against the Machine, one of the most hit and miss bands out there. This is a hit however, simple, yet fantastic riff. The end of the solo going into the last chorus around 3:16 is staggering. Great rhythm and groove all round.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 7:33am
I've gone for Rage Against the Machine, one of the most hit and miss bands out there. This is a hit however, simple, yet fantastic riff. The end of the solo going into the last chorus around 3:16 is staggering. Great rhythm and groove all round.

I'd agree with your assessment that RatM can go either way but when they hit, they hit hard. In saying that though I do remember hearing "Killing in the Name Of" for the first time and really expecting it to explode into something that never came - lyrically, you get everything you need from the first verse. Those guitar sounds though.... amazing.

I did like song but it inspires me to listen to the first album again rather than seek out whatever one it was from which is probably why I wrote more about Killing in the Name Of than New Millennium Homes

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Someone, anyone, give this a go. It's a slow burner but one most beautiful song, bear with it, from 1:05 it gets tasty and smooth as fuck.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
15 May 2020, 4:56pm
Someone, anyone, give this a go. It's a slow burner but one most beautiful song, bear with it, from 1:05 it gets tasty and smooth as fuck.

I prefer it before the vocals kick in but I am a sucker for piano music. My mum played piano so I was always listening to it as a kid.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2020, 2:41pm
Hahaha, I heard that tune when it was out and loved it. I searched for it for years when I first got the internet and eventually asked the guitar player on their MySpace page if it was available to buy on CD. He sent me an MP3 of it and I was fairly buzzing. Haven't heard it for ages, cheers mate!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Some of the stuff here seems a bit punitive .