The Forced Listening Thread

General music discussion.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

The Forced Listening Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Ok, post a song you like and the next poster has to listen and comment on it and then post a song of their choice. May/may not work but it would he great to discover something new. I'll keep the PC to a minimum, fear not.

I'll start with a beautiful tune, Just The Way I'm Feeling by Feeder. I've heard it was a reflection upon the death of their former drummer, and you can hear and feel the level of emotion in the song. The middle 8 is so powerful, as is the fantastic, yet quite sad chorus. A perfect song in my eyes.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Forced Listening Thread

Post by oliver »

Didn't do too much for me. Sorry. It was just kind of there - not inspiring me to look for any more but not offensive enough to turn off. Wouldn't bother me if I never heard it again.

If you like a kind of country-Nirvana you might like T Hardy Morris.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

oliver wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 8:35am
Didn't do too much for me. Sorry. It was just kind of there - not inspiring me to look for any more but not offensive enough to turn off. Wouldn't bother me if I never heard it again.

The guitar was a bit fuzzy for me and the verses felt too much like a brand new band trying to come up with their first song, a little basic. On the plus side, I enjoyed the chords in the chorus and the vocals sounded pretty epic.

I'm going to choose a track from one of my favourites, Embrace. This is Retread and the way this creates the perfect wave and crashes down on the final chorus is so inspiring.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 3:44pm
oliver wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 8:35am

The guitar was a bit fuzzy for me and the verses felt too much like a brand new band trying to come up with their first song, a little basic. On the plus side, I enjoyed the chords in the chorus and the vocals sounded pretty epic.

I'm going to choose a track from one of my favourites, Embrace. This is Retread and the way this creates the perfect wave and crashes down on the final chorus is so inspiring.

Already like Embrace and Retread is cool.

Here's the Sid Presley Experience an old favourite of mine. Great band that mutated into The Godfathers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 5:00pm
Here's the Sid Presley Experience an old favourite of mine. Great band that mutated into The Godfathers.

That's decent. It actually reminds me of the Redskins (without the brass) a little bit. Same snarl in the vocal.

This is a big 70s hit that somehow elluded me until about 10 years ago, it never gets played on the radio. It's a bit AC/DC meets Glam Rock with some great verses and an infernally catchy chorus. And I swear I can hear the intro of "Holidays In the Sun" in there...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:

That's decent. It actually reminds me of the Redskins (without the brass) a little bit. Same snarl in the vocal.

This is a big 70s hit that somehow elluded me until about 10 years ago, it never gets played on the radio. It's a bit AC/DC meets Glam Rock with some great verses and an infernally catchy chorus. And I swear I can hear the intro of "Holidays In the Sun" in there...

I liked this. Quite Slade-y and like you said early AC/DC. Not something I'd usually listen to but was enjoyable. Liked the singer's charisma and the drummer's cheeky eyebrow raise around the 3 minute mark. Totally can hear HItS as well.

I'm going to pick a late 80s Sham 69 song which has a totally different sound to their early days. I'm a big fan of the sound of this, though the album was bought by just 20 people probably.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 7:47am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I liked this. Quite Slade-y and like you said early AC/DC. Not something I'd usually listen to but was enjoyable. Liked the singer's charisma and the drummer's cheeky eyebrow raise around the 3 minute mark. Totally can hear HItS as well.

I'm going to pick a late 80s Sham 69 song which has a totally different sound to their early days. I'm a big fan of the sound of this, though the album was bought by just 20 people probably.

The Sid Presley song was good. Like Heston i thought it reminded me of the Redskins. Cozy Powell band apparently isnt fit for US consumption as it is blocked in this country.

The Sham song is just awful. It seems to incorporate everything I hate about "80's" music. I confess I could not listen all the way thru.

This was recommended in my YouTube feed...

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Although Cozy Powell was a serious drummer and would play with Rainbow, Black Sabbath and an ELP line-up (Emmerson, Lake & Powell so they didn't have to change the logo I think), he recorded this and 'Dance With The Devil' for Mickie Most's RAK label. Most was a bit like a 70s Simon Powell (no relation to Cozy) and his label was behind some of the top, ground-breaking acts of the time such as Hot Chocolate, Suzi Quatro, Mud, Kenny, Racey and, a way back earlier, Jeff Beck's 'Hi Ho Silver Lining'. I take it Most knew Cozy as a session musician as Chris Spedding was another who had a couple of singles on RAK around that time... which makes that 'Holidays In The Sun' sound all the more interesting.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The opening power chord is strikingly similar to Holidays. Of course the bigger steal by Jones is the descending chord pattern of In the City. Different chord sequence but the pattern unmistakable.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 9:27am
This was recommended in my YouTube feed...
I thought it was ok musically but her voice irritated me a bit. The video was rather disturbing too.

I'm gonna post up a video of one my favourite bands of the Noughties, I've probably posted it here before but what the hell...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It could be a fine pop song but that yodeling and whooping thing shivs it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Tom, they're breaking the fucking rules already. I hope you're gonna dish some bans out.

Good song Spiff, I like that one.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 5:00pm
I kind of liked this but I get the feeling that an entire album might be a bit much.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 6:55pm
Heston wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 5:00pm
I kind of liked this but I get the feeling that an entire album might be a bit much.
Albums have a lot of light and shade actually. Reggae, Dance Hall, Spoken Word, Ukelele ballads, Pop, Ska, Rap and Punk all in the mix.