Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:27pm
Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:55pm
Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:48pm
He was in the Jam days, I've seen some really awkward interviews with him. Check this one...

I can't fault him at all in that situation. Local morning show with hosts who know nothing about your music (likely any music) and don't want to do the interview anymore than he does.
Yeah, but play the game a little bit? Maybe that's why the miserable sod never gained any traction in the States.
I don't think it mattered one way or another. In 1980 in the US, it was all about radio airplay. Doing those kinds of tv interviews were desperation tactics for off-centre UK bands trying to get any kind of buzz when they couldn't get radio play. But the people watching that show either had zero interest in anything remotely connected to punk or already knew who the Jam were and were into them. It's not until MTV that those bands had a real means of connecting to wider audiences. Before that, college radio and word of mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if the band did a half dozen of those miserable sit downs with twits like those two. Hmm, maybe that is what made Paul seem like such a cold interviewee when I saw him later …
He was always like that in the Jam, I've seen a few similar interviews. I suppose it's that intensity that created all those great songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I met a Sex Pistol tonight

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 5:48pm
He was in the Jam days, I've seen some really awkward interviews with him. Check this one...

I can't fault him at all in that situation. Local morning show with hosts who know nothing about your music (likely any music) and don't want to do the interview anymore than he does.
Yeah, but play the game a little bit? Maybe that's why the miserable sod never gained any traction in the States.
I don't think it mattered one way or another. In 1980 in the US, it was all about radio airplay. Doing those kinds of tv interviews were desperation tactics for off-centre UK bands trying to get any kind of buzz when they couldn't get radio play. But the people watching that show either had zero interest in anything remotely connected to punk or already knew who the Jam were and were into them. It's not until MTV that those bands had a real means of connecting to wider audiences. Before that, college radio and word of mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if the band did a half dozen of those miserable sit downs with twits like those two. Hmm, maybe that is what made Paul seem like such a cold interviewee when I saw him later …
He was always like that in the Jam, I've seen a few similar interviews. I suppose it's that intensity that created all those great songs.
Oh yeah, definitely. Fashioning that identity as an outsider can be great fuel if you've got the ambition, confidence, and talent. And then came Style Council …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:35pm
Heston wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely. Fashioning that identity as an outsider can be great fuel if you've got the ambition, confidence, and talent. And then came Style Council …
Absolutely top bloke face to face couldn’t have been a nicer bloke especially as I was making such a twat of myself and he just wanted his breakfast!!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

You all have met such cool people. The only musicians I have met are the fucking Jonas Brothers. Granted, they were very polite, but still. Oh, I also briefly met Jello Biafra. He was also polite.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Super cool with me and was nice enough to pose for a photo. He did push us to go back in and watch the other bands, which was thoughtful for the other bands.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 10:15am
Super cool with me and was nice enough to pose for a photo. He did push us to go back in and watch the other bands, which was thoughtful for the other bands.
Great pick mate. He's a real nice guy. I've met a fair few guys from the English punk scene and they've all been great when I met them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 1:10pm
matedog wrote:
Great pick mate. He's a real nice guy. I've met a fair few guys from the English punk scene and they've all been great when I met them.
I was really hoping TV Smith was going to be playing when I was last in the UK, but he was in France at the time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
Are you tall or is he short?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BitterTom wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 1:43pm
matedog wrote:
Probably a bit of both.

As tall as I am, overlord Inder dwarfs me:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 3:07pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
Probably a bit of both.

He certainly cuts an imposing figure.

Is that SM on the end? Where was this taken?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Plus you and James are standing on crates.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 3:10pm
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
Probably a bit of both.

Apparently if Inder grows another 2 inches he’s technically classified as a kaiju.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
Probably a bit of both.

London. We got drunk. It was in my wilderness years.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 3:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
Probably a bit of both.

Great photo!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 3:53pm
Silent Majority wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 3:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Probably a bit of both.

Great photo!
Fantastic stuff!