General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

So the greatest year in musical history turns 40 in a few weeks. Many of my favourite albums were released in 1979 including One Step Beyond, The Specials, London Calling, Inflamable Material, Setting Sons, The Beat and The Crack.
Problem is most have already had several reissues st various milestone so how will they recognise 40 years or what do you hope for?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: 1979

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 5:56pm
So the greatest year in musical history turns 40 in a few weeks. Many of my favourite albums were released in 1979 including One Step Beyond, The Specials, London Calling, Inflamable Material, Setting Sons, The Beat and The Crack.
Problem is most have already had several reissues st various milestone so how will they recognise 40 years or what do you hope for?
I'd love a remastered version of Inflammable Material...double CD...the original album and whatever rounded up stray tracks there are and then a live show from the era.

Hard to say with London Calling. Is there much left after the 25th anniversary edition? It doesn't need to be remastered after Sound System.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Will "they" even recognise it was the best year ever? 1967 and 1977 get all the plaudits but we all know 79 was the best year.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The album that comes to mind is the B-52s' debut. Most every other great album from '79 has gotten some kind of special treatment already, but as far as I know, that one is just sitting there waiting to be admired.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 6:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
I'd love a remastered version of Inflammable Material...double CD...the original album and whatever rounded up stray tracks there are and then a live show from the era.
Yeah that would be nice. Such a great album, I gotta dig it out.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 9:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
They did a reissue a few years back with the extra tracks added in 78 RPM and the single version of Suspect Device.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 4:00pm
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
They did a reissue a few years back with the extra tracks added in 78 RPM and the single version of Suspect Device.
And an interview with Jake by Alan Parker.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 12:34pm
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
What is it with interviews on CD’s? Interesting to listen to once but then screws up your playlist every time you listen to the CD 🤨

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

1979 also was just about the time Depeche Mode was getting ready to form!!!

:shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 2:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

What is it with interviews on CD’s? Interesting to listen to once but then screws up your playlist every time you listen to the CD 🤨
Not sure how it screws up your playlist as it's the last track on the disc . If you put it in iTunes you can just delete it or just don't enter it all all. Different if it is placed before any music and you are listening on direct playback I guess but cd players are programmable. Nowhere near as bad as when bands put extra tracks on the disc and they leave a great long space before the track starts . Making a three minute track 20 minutes long or wherever.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hard to say with London Calling. Is there much left after the 25th anniversary edition? It doesn't need to be remastered after Sound System.
Lewisham!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 4:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:

Not sure how it screws up your playlist as it's the last track on the disc . If you put it in iTunes you can just delete it or just don't enter it all all. Different if it is placed before any music and you are listening on direct playback I guess but cd players are programmable. Nowhere near as bad as when bands put extra tracks on the disc and they leave a great long space before the track starts . Making a three minute track 20 minutes long or wherever.
I often put on several CD’s at once on random to make a playlist.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 4:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 4:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I often put on several CD’s at once on random to make a playlist.
CD's sound crap on a dansette. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia