Re: The thread of musical shame...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 9:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 7:09pm
revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 6:34pm
But seriously I sometimes wonder and think there's something wrong with me that I don't just dislike but genuinely can't stand certain artists/songs.
Don't let the mass insanity of others generate self-doubt.
I have noticed along with Toto, the general public is trying to rehabilitate Phil Collins as well. I am not here for this.
What's especially galling is that it's not in that too precious ironic Gen X way. Seeming sincerity is just contemptible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 9:29pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
But seriously I sometimes wonder and think there's something wrong with me that I don't just dislike but genuinely can't stand certain artists/songs.
I have noticed along with Toto, the general public is trying to rehabilitate Phil Collins as well. I am not here for this.
What's especially galling is that it's not in that too precious ironic Gen X way. Seeming sincerity is just contemptible.
Maybe people just long for the smooth, quaint days when Toto ruled the airwaves and turntables of America! Make Rock Great Again!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Okay so I'm in good company here. Where's JennyB, Tep and Beaner? I'd say Flex too but his love of Hootie and Dave Mathews undermines his credibility.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Maybe people just long for the smooth, quaint days when Toto ruled the airwaves and turntables of America! Make Rock Great Again!
Those people should be exiled to Atlantis.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Okay so I'm in good company here. Where's JennyB, Tep and Beaner? I'd say Flex too but his love of Hootie and Dave Mathews undermines his credibility.
I've been waiting for Jenny to jump in on this whole Phil Collins thing! :mrgreen:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 7:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Those people should be exiled to Atlantis.
It's interesting how some artists are chosen for rehabilitation and some are not. Why Toto? Is it simply because Weezer covered Africa and now it is kind of hip to say you like Toto? Last time I checked - Toto was still the domain of 50-somethings with mustaches who listened to the local classic rock station.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 7:57am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've been waiting for Jenny to jump in on this whole Phil Collins thing! :mrgreen:
I'm guessing this thread has made her blind with rage, so typing a response is problematic.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 10:02am
It's interesting how some artists are chosen for rehabilitation and some are not. Why Toto? Is it simply because Weezer covered Africa and now it is kind of hip to say you like Toto? Last time I checked - Toto was still the domain of 50-somethings with mustaches who listened to the local classic rock station.
This is tangential but does deal with the idea of what's considered legit and not, but last Friday my class talked about hip hop. One of the articles was about the tricky path white rappers follow to gain credibility. Vanilla Ice is, of course, a key figure in that. One student asked whether VI was as big a joke at the time as he's regarded now. I assured him, no, it was legit big, a major crossover into the pop market. Outside of Weird Al, you don't sell millions of copies of a record as some kind of elaborate gag. The idea that VI was taken as a major star at the time seemed so unbelievable to the student.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 11:01am
Ugly album cover...but I've always kind of liked this album. Not their best - but not terrible.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sorry! I was out of the office yesterday. The office is where I usually engage in GNDA. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 10:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
This is tangential but does deal with the idea of what's considered legit and not, but last Friday my class talked about hip hop. One of the articles was about the tricky path white rappers follow to gain credibility. Vanilla Ice is, of course, a key figure in that. One student asked whether VI was as big a joke at the time as he's regarded now. I assured him, no, it was legit big, a major crossover into the pop market. Outside of Weird Al, you don't sell millions of copies of a record as some kind of elaborate gag. The idea that VI was taken as a major star at the time seemed so unbelievable to the student.
Surely, a large group of people must have seen him as quite corny though? Even I, at that age, preferred Hammer infinitely more than Mr. Van Winkle.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 1:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Surely, a large group of people must have seen him as quite corny though? Even I, at that age, preferred Hammer infinitely more than Mr. Van Winkle.
The gobs of people who bought the record? No way. He was the great white hope, bridging rap and pop, making pop cooler and rescuing rap from its racial confines. People who were seriously into hip hop saw him as a clown, but they weren't buying the record.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 1:41pm
Kory wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 1:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
The gobs of people who bought the record? No way. He was the great white hope, bridging rap and pop, making pop cooler and rescuing rap from its racial confines. People who were seriously into hip hop saw him as a clown, but they weren't buying the record.
I’m not convinced. The view I had and those around me was that was a bit of a novelty track and so was he. Don’t recall it being taken seriously. In fact it is taken more seriously now by my kid’s generation who listen to some version of it ( I think it is a remix?) without having any idea of its origins or who sings it.