101Walterton
The Best

Re: Rare CD shopping

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:53pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:32pm
Every now and then you still get a seller that isn’t as clued up (or greedy whichever way you look at it). I missed out in an auction last week for a 7” that hadn’t sold on line for a year. Two days after the auction someone listed another copy on EBay with a Buy Now price lower than my top offer for the one I missed out on. I bought it :approve:
The marketplace is, in fact, very uneven. More dumb luck than anything else.
There is one 7" I am after that always sells and always for well over a hundred quid. Recently someone put a collection of singles on sale via auction on Ebay with 20 quid start price for the lot. When I scanned the photo I could see it was one of the records. I messaged the seller and asked if he would do a Buy Now for 30 quid and he agreed but when he went to change it someone had made a bid so couldn't do a Buy Now. I ended up selling for about 150 quid. he apologised and said he had no idea the record was valuable.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rare CD shopping

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:53pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:32pm
Every now and then you still get a seller that isn’t as clued up (or greedy whichever way you look at it). I missed out in an auction last week for a 7” that hadn’t sold on line for a year. Two days after the auction someone listed another copy on EBay with a Buy Now price lower than my top offer for the one I missed out on. I bought it :approve:
The marketplace is, in fact, very uneven. More dumb luck than anything else.
There is one 7" I am after that always sells and always for well over a hundred quid. Recently someone put a collection of singles on sale via auction on Ebay with 20 quid start price for the lot. When I scanned the photo I could see it was one of the records. I messaged the seller and asked if he would do a Buy Now for 30 quid and he agreed but when he went to change it someone had made a bid so couldn't do a Buy Now. I ended up selling for about 150 quid. he apologised and said he had no idea the record was valuable.
Ugh. I had something like that happen with a particular Wire bootleg. I was never able to buy a copy for a price I could justify, but then, thankfully, I eventually found a free copy on Dime a Dozen.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft