Sex Pistols

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Steve believes Lydon might have been riled by the angle and focus of the show. Pistol, as vivid a reconstruction of the punk era as has yet made it to screen, is based around Jones’s autobiography Lonely Boy and places Steve as the central protagonist. “It’s just my version,” he says. “It’s not like, ‘This is the truth and everything else ain’t.’ I was a bit nervous, thinking, ‘Oh, fuck – what is this gonna be like, Carry On Up The Fucking Pistols? But it’s not.”

“[John] wasn’t happy about us doing this about my story,” he says. “He probably made up in his mind what it was gonna be like and he wasn’t interested. I said it in the court thing, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn’t have had no problem. If he had done his story and someone wanted to do it, I don’t think any of us would have had a problem. We’d have been happy.”
https://www.nme.com/features/music-feat ... ol-3230512
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 6:30am
Steve believes Lydon might have been riled by the angle and focus of the show. Pistol, as vivid a reconstruction of the punk era as has yet made it to screen, is based around Jones’s autobiography Lonely Boy and places Steve as the central protagonist. “It’s just my version,” he says. “It’s not like, ‘This is the truth and everything else ain’t.’ I was a bit nervous, thinking, ‘Oh, fuck – what is this gonna be like, Carry On Up The Fucking Pistols? But it’s not.”

“[John] wasn’t happy about us doing this about my story,” he says. “He probably made up in his mind what it was gonna be like and he wasn’t interested. I said it in the court thing, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn’t have had no problem. If he had done his story and someone wanted to do it, I don’t think any of us would have had a problem. We’d have been happy.”
I'm glad it's Steve's story even if it will be open to artistic license. It's a dramatisation so it will be exaggerated. It'll be a shame that yet again people will see it and believe it to be absolutely accurate. But it's another version of the story.

So we've had Sid's tale and now Steve's tale. A particular famous face is feeling a little left out. And he stills says Justin Timberlake should play him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 8:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm glad it's Steve's story even if it will be open to artistic license. It's a dramatisation so it will be exaggerated. It'll be a shame that yet again people will see it and believe it to be absolutely accurate. But it's another version of the story.

So we've had Sid's tale and now Steve's tale. A particular famous face is feeling a little left out. And he stills says Justin Timberlake should play him.
I regard Filth and the Fury as Lydon's version of the story inasmuch as he's the one who cares most about countering McLaren's clearly fanciful Swindle version. He's not the focus, of course, but it has a grudge-settling quality to it and JL carries all the grudges of those in the band (except for the ones against him).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I read Steve's book "Lonely Boy", learned a few things I wasn't aware of, but in all honesty I didn't think it was very well written.
But that being said, I'll still probably try to see the movie when it's out.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
24 May 2022, 9:05am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I read Steve's book "Lonely Boy", learned a few things I wasn't aware of, but in all honesty I didn't think it was very well written.
Was originally going to be a movie. It's now a 6 part series.
Steve's book is great, open and honest. It's clearly told in Steve's voice and I like it. We mustn't forget Steve was virtually illiterate when he was in the Pistols.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 9:35am
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Steve's book is great, open and honest. It's clearly told in Steve's voice and I like it. We mustn't forget Steve was virtually illiterate when he was in the Pistols.
It reads very much like someone who has gone thru tons of therapy, telling his story both as a therapeutic exercise and to let others know they aren’t alone. There isn’t a whole lot of score settling in Steve’s book—his stepfather, Lydon to a degree—but plenty of owning up to his own horrible behaviour. Both Steve’s and Glen’s books seemed the most human to me. (Glen also scored the best title, one that won’t be beaten.)

Edit: *isn’t* a lot of score settling, not *is*
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 24 May 2022, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 9:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It reads very much like someone who has gone thru tons of therapy, telling his story both as a therapeutic exercise and to let others know they aren’t alone. There is a whole lot of score settling in Steve’s book—his stepfather, Lydon to a degree—but plenty of owning up to his own horrible behaviour. Both Steve’s and Glen’s books seemed the most human to me. (Glen also scored the best title, one that won’t be beaten.)
I liked the book and think the ghostwriter did a pretty impeccable job of keeping Steve's authentic voice when the temptation can often be to polish it up for mainstream consumption which is far too often the case with memoirs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 9:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It reads very much like someone who has gone thru tons of therapy, telling his story both as a therapeutic exercise and to let others know they aren’t alone. There is a whole lot of score settling in Steve’s book—his stepfather, Lydon to a degree—but plenty of owning up to his own horrible behaviour. Both Steve’s and Glen’s books seemed the most human to me. (Glen also scored the best title, one that won’t be beaten.)
Yeah Glen definitely wins the best title.

Steve was a fucker at times but it's a honest account and not wrapped in goody two shoes stuff like "Anger Is An Energy". I've still not finished John's second book and I bought it day of release. I got two thirds through and I'd had enough. I even had a special wrist band to go to the local HMV store to meet him and get the book signed. But I didn't turn up.

Things is there's loads of stuff that is believed but simply isn't true. Like Glen's special mayonnaise sandwich.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:18am
Steve was a fucker at times but it's a honest account and not wrapped in goody two shoes stuff like "Anger Is An Energy". I've still not finished John's second book and I bought it day of release. I got two thirds through and I'd had enough. I even had a special wrist band to go to the local HMV store to meet him and get the book signed. But I didn't turn up.

Things is there's loads of stuff that is believed but simply isn't true. Like Glen's special mayonnaise sandwich.
Steve owns up to his awful behaviour, not seeking absolution or anything like that. If people want to draw a line between his sex and drug addiction to childhood abuse, that makes sense, but he doesn't do that. Lydon, on the other hand, has seemingly done nothing wrong in his life except be too loyal to those who betray him or too naive to realize the predators around him. The closest he gets to blaming himself is for Sid's fate, which he then excuses himself by saying he was too young to appreciate the dangers. Which is true—I agree with him—but he's looking to wriggle out of his faults; you don't absolve yourself, that's for others to do. Hard to take seriously a guy who claims he's a blunt, straight talker when he avoids self-criticism at every turn.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:41am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:18am

Steve owns up to his awful behaviour, not seeking absolution or anything like that. If people want to draw a line between his sex and drug addiction to childhood abuse, that makes sense, but he doesn't do that. Lydon, on the other hand, has seemingly done nothing wrong in his life except be too loyal to those who betray him or too naive to realize the predators around him. The closest he gets to blaming himself is for Sid's fate, which he then excuses himself by saying he was too young to appreciate the dangers. Which is true—I agree with him—but he's looking to wriggle out of his faults; you don't absolve yourself, that's for others to do. Hard to take seriously a guy who claims he's a blunt, straight talker when he avoids self-criticism at every turn.
Exactly. McLaren called John "such a good boy" playing at being bad. I believe him.

As for Steve you are spot on. He was a terrible person at times. His early life was a shambles and then by his own admission he looked upon Malcolm as a father figure. Although Malcolm did indeed care for Steve I can think of a better role model. Steve makes no excuses and accepts his faults. John is by John's standards perfect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Everybody wins—the series gets some "controversy" (as I said a few weeks ago, the movie Johnny Rotten doesn't want you to see!) and Lydon gets his name in the press as the once again aggrieved punk icon fighting the power.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You know, I think you nailed it, clearly wasn't written by a ghostwriter, it's got some rough edges, but it's authentic. I still have the book, didn't give it away after I finished reading it, perhaps I need to revisit it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

You know, I think you nailed it, clearly wasn't written by a ghostwriter, it's got some rough edges, but it's authentic. I still have the book, didn't give it away after I finished reading it, perhaps I need to revisit it.
Keith Richards' autobiography had a similar tone to it. James Fox might have pulled it all together, but it was also clearly told in Keith's voice.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:41am
Sparky wrote:
24 May 2022, 11:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Keith Richards' autobiography had a similar tone to it. James Fox might have pulled it all together, but it was also clearly told in Keith's voice.
Not Muppet's ?