Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:06pm
All episodes dl'd and ready to watch. Just need to find out if The Boss also wants to see it. If so, I'll be waiting, otherwise I'll be firing it up.
I'm expecting something well made which misses the point, based on the trailer.
I never watched the trailer, but my expectation is something that dials back the politics in favour of the personal perspective of a kid suddenly in the middle of a hurricane.
More like a hurricane in the middle of a kid. Steve was wild and didn't give a fuck.
Right—it's that interplay between society and delinquents who are suddenly thrust upon a huge stage. Fucking up in the family is one thing; fucking up in front of the whole nation is another.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Sex Pistols

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:06pm
All episodes dl'd and ready to watch. Just need to find out if The Boss also wants to see it. If so, I'll be waiting, otherwise I'll be firing it up.
I never watched the trailer, but my expectation is something that dials back the politics in favour of the personal perspective of a kid suddenly in the middle of a hurricane.
More like a hurricane in the middle of a kid. Steve was wild and didn't give a fuck.
Right—it's that interplay between society and delinquents who are suddenly thrust upon a huge stage. Fucking up in the family is one thing; fucking up in front of the whole nation is another.
Well yeah but I don't think Steve fucked up in front of a whole nation. If anything he just spouted out what most of us were thinking. Proper working class unlike Lydon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Well yeah but I don't think Steve fucked up in front of a whole nation. If anything he just spouted out what most of us were thinking. Proper working class unlike Lydon.
Fucked up in the sense of doing something that brought a shitload of blame and attention on him (and the others). I'm certainly not casting judgement on him or the others (well, McLaren …), only that all of a sudden this fun little cult band became the focus of a lot of misplaced anger—that kind of fucking up in front of the nation.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 12:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fucked up in the sense of doing something that brought a shitload of blame and attention on him (and the others). I'm certainly not casting judgement on him or the others (well, McLaren …), only that all of a sudden this fun little cult band became the focus of a lot of misplaced anger—that kind of fucking up in front of the nation.
Yes you're correct regards the Grundy thing. But it was inevitable. As the first so called "punk" band here in the UK they were being set up by the press to fail. Think about this, Malcolm got them the deal with EMI and it was only through that deal that they got a chance for the Today show after Queen had pulled out so it had nothing to do with Malcolm. Once he saw how much press they achieved he then completely changed his tact and started his own shenanigans.

Punk was always going to happen regardless of the Pistols but what if they had signed to some small indie. Totally different story.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes you're correct regards the Grundy thing. But it was inevitable. As the first so called "punk" band here in the UK they were being set up by the press to fail. Think about this, Malcolm got them the deal with EMI and it was only through that deal that they got a chance for the Today show after Queen had pulled out so it had nothing to do with Malcolm. Once he saw how much press they achieved he then completely changed his tact and started his own shenanigans.

Punk was always going to happen regardless of the Pistols but what if they had signed to some small indie. Totally different story.
It's the big "what if?" question of the Pistols and early UK punk: What if the Pistols went the Buzzcocks route and gone indie instead of the conventional major label option? Without the glare of the tabloids and cheap political point scoring, how does punk develop more slowly and organically, without the sudden competition to get signed? Grundy makes for a fantastic narrative, but it's hard not to see it as a disaster for what was building there.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's the big "what if?" question of the Pistols and early UK punk: What if the Pistols went the Buzzcocks route and gone indie instead of the conventional major label option? Without the glare of the tabloids and cheap political point scoring, how does punk develop more slowly and organically, without the sudden competition to get signed? Grundy makes for a fantastic narrative, but it's hard not to see it as a disaster for what was building there.
The Sex Pistols without the Grundy incident is difficult to imagine. But possibly they would've lasted longer with Glen and made more music. The fame certainly played it's part. Even just the names Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious played into an over hungry press appetite.

The thing is the Pistols notoriety helped the bands in their wake regardless of local councils banning concerts.

It made them also famous for being one of those "nasty" punk bands.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

The Sex Pistols without the Grundy incident is difficult to imagine. But possibly they would've lasted longer with Glen and made more music. The fame certainly played it's part. Even just the names Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious played into an over hungry press appetite.

The thing is the Pistols notoriety helped the bands in their wake regardless of local councils banning concerts.

It's such a different story, a different trajectory without Grundy that it is hard to fathom. Grundy really ignites punk in the UK but it also creates conditions for strangling it in another year or so. Does Glen stay in the band and contribute to their musical development? Do bands like the Clash end up on a major label? Do scenes develop their own styles without having that "here's how to be a punk" quality pushed by the tabloids?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's such a different story, a different trajectory without Grundy that it is hard to fathom. Grundy really ignites punk in the UK but it also creates conditions for strangling it in another year or so. Does Glen stay in the band and contribute to their musical development? Do bands like the Clash end up on a major label? Do scenes develop their own styles without having that "here's how to be a punk" quality pushed by the tabloids?
So as Tony Wilson famously said Grundy was the real punk. 😏

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 May 2022, 2:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 May 2022, 1:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

So as Tony Wilson famously said Grundy was the real punk. 😏
He's the Gavrilo Princip—the sad, dumb fuck who killed Franz Ferdinand—of the UK punk story.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I just watched the first episode and I don't hate it at all. In fact, I think I like it. I think there are some who would treat the Pistols like some priceless work of art - how dare anyone do anything that might take away from the perfect beauty that was the chaos of the Sex Pistols!?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 May 2022, 2:47pm
I just watched the first episode and I don't hate it at all. In fact, I think I like it. I think there are some who would treat the Pistols like some priceless work of art - how dare anyone do anything that might take away from the perfect beauty that was the chaos of the Sex Pistols!?
I've watched the first one too and enjoyed it. I was expecting some sort of cross between Grange Hill and spinal tap so my bar was quite low. I wonder how it will stand up with the bits of the story I'm more familiar with. Did think SJ had a bit of a whiff of Jamie Oliver about him and MM looked younger than the band and reminded me of the weird antiques expert kid that was on the telly in the 80s. Never realised that VW was a northerner.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
31 May 2022, 3:12pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 May 2022, 2:47pm
I've watched the first one too and enjoyed it. I was expecting some sort of cross between Grange Hill and spinal tap so my bar was quite low. I wonder how it will stand up with the bits of the story I'm more familiar with. Did think SJ had a bit of a whiff of Jamie Oliver about him and MM looked younger than the band and reminded me of the weird antiques expert kid that was on the telly in the 80s. Never realised that VW was a northerner.
Cheshire.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
31 May 2022, 3:12pm
I was expecting some sort of cross between Grange Hill and spinal tap
Not gonna lie - that premise sounds amazing.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

great promo pic, I was iffy on a show about a "punk" band but now that I see it's about a long haired guy in a brown leather jacket, I just can't wait
Attachments
284186934_1194263044738787_4114737059796677754_n.jpg
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak