Is it just me...

General music discussion.
Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14580
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Rat Patrol » 19 Jun 2008, 1:59pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

Thier sudden popularity is almost making me not want to like them anymore... :(
I wasn't aware that there was an uptick. I thought it had pretty much peaked with Interpol and gone back into remission. Regardless, there are far far worse bands for kids to discover.
It's effective population control.

X(
Is that a epilepsy slur, monsieur? :hmm:
More like Cobain without the whole correct-aim degree of difficulty.
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Wolter » 19 Jun 2008, 2:03pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

Thier sudden popularity is almost making me not want to like them anymore... :(
I wasn't aware that there was an uptick. I thought it had pretty much peaked with Interpol and gone back into remission. Regardless, there are far far worse bands for kids to discover.
It's effective population control.

X(
Is that a epilepsy slur, monsieur? :hmm:
More like Cobain without the whole correct-aim degree of difficulty.
You've been on such a good streak of being correct. Why ruin it by agreeing with matedog?
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Jun 2008, 2:07pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

Thier sudden popularity is almost making me not want to like them anymore... :(
I wasn't aware that there was an uptick. I thought it had pretty much peaked with Interpol and gone back into remission. Regardless, there are far far worse bands for kids to discover.
It's effective population control.

X(
Is that a epilepsy slur, monsieur? :hmm:
More like Cobain without the whole correct-aim degree of difficulty.
Can't be an icon if you're alive.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Flex » 19 Jun 2008, 2:16pm

Wolter wrote:It took me a long time to get over the fact that it's ok for good bands to be popular. Jeez, Joy Division hasn't been in existence for 28 years. When I first got into them in the mid-90s, I knew like 6 people who had even heard of them. They're awesome. People SHOULD listen to them. End of story.
I don't want this post to get buried. It is insanely and 100% correct.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Jun 2008, 2:21pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:It took me a long time to get over the fact that it's ok for good bands to be popular. Jeez, Joy Division hasn't been in existence for 28 years. When I first got into them in the mid-90s, I knew like 6 people who had even heard of them. They're awesome. People SHOULD listen to them. End of story.
I don't want this post to get buried. It is insanely and 100% correct.
Try growing up in a town of about 12,000. Even in '86 or so, there couldn't have been two or three others in my high school who recognized my LWTUA t-shirt.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

MadModWorld
User avatar
Trashy Britpop Kid
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:51pm
Location: Somewhere between Heaven & Woolworths...
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by MadModWorld » 19 Jun 2008, 2:22pm

AdamRamone wrote:who the fuck is joy division?
Numerous signatures will be created.
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...
Image

In A Rut
Dirty Punk
Posts: 104
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 10:36am

Re: Is it just me...

Post by In A Rut » 19 Jun 2008, 2:26pm

has anyone heard the Drunk Injuns version of "Walked in Line"? amazing! Drunk Injuns are crazy good, but they scare me.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15383
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Is it just me...

Post by JennyB » 19 Jun 2008, 2:51pm

I first got into Joy Division my freshman year in high school back in 1985. They were actually pretty popular then because of the New Order connection. Popular being a relative term...obviously, they weren't U2. I also think that with 24-Hour Party People (I love that movie, btw) and Control, the resurgance in popularity was inevitable. BTW, has anyone seen Control? I really wanted to see it because I love Anton Corbijn's Depeche Mode videos (suck it, people!), but it never opened here (quelle surprise).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

In A Rut
Dirty Punk
Posts: 104
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 10:36am

Re: Is it just me...

Post by In A Rut » 19 Jun 2008, 2:57pm

i like Public Image and Joy Division too
even if that's not what i'm supposed to do....
-The Big Boys

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Jun 2008, 3:02pm

JennyB wrote:BTW, has anyone seen Control? I really wanted to see it because I love Anton Corbijn's Depeche Mode videos (suck it, people!), but it never opened here (quelle surprise).
Beautiful looking movie. Does a very good job of humanizing someone whose become a bit of a caricature. I also had a wince laugh when Ian was prescribed the same anti-epilepsy medication as me—no wonder he hung himself!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Is it just me...

Post by eumaas » 19 Jun 2008, 3:36pm

JennyB wrote:I first got into Joy Division my freshman year in high school back in 1985. They were actually pretty popular then because of the New Order connection. Popular being a relative term...obviously, they weren't U2. I also think that with 24-Hour Party People (I love that movie, btw) and Control, the resurgance in popularity was inevitable. BTW, has anyone seen Control? I really wanted to see it because I love Anton Corbijn's Depeche Mode videos (suck it, people!), but it never opened here (quelle surprise).
Depeche is awesome. Don't take shit from anybody--Violator's one of the top albums ever.

24 Hour Party People is a great film, dunno how Control is--as soon as I heard it was black and white I groaned and thought, "More Ian mythologization."
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Jun 2008, 3:40pm

eumaas wrote:as soon as I heard it was black and white I groaned and thought, "More Ian mythologization."
I didn't think so. B&W is just Corbijn. It's sombre as fuck, but I didn't see it as romantic whatsoever.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

MadModWorld
User avatar
Trashy Britpop Kid
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:51pm
Location: Somewhere between Heaven & Woolworths...
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by MadModWorld » 19 Jun 2008, 4:05pm

Can I bring up how much I detest biopics in this thread?
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...
Image

Suzanne H.
User avatar
The Cheese
Posts: 1926
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 10:31pm
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Suzanne H. » 19 Jun 2008, 5:31pm

I keep seeing 24 Hour Party People in stores everywhere I go for some reason. I keep meaning to buy it but I don't.
Image
Image

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Is it just me...

Post by Inder » 19 Jun 2008, 5:33pm

To interupt this thread: Joy Division suck. That is all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests