Conway Savage

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Conway Savage

Post by WestwayKid »

conway.jpg
conway.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Just saw that long time "Bad Seed" Conway Savage passed away. I had read that he had been ill for several years. I happen to be a pretty big Nick Cave fan and Conway was a distinctive part of his sound from the mid-90's until just recently.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Conway Savage

Post by Low Down Low »

He's on all my favourite Bad Seeds albums, very sad to hear, 58 is no age to go. Never got around to checking out his solo stuff but going to fix that anon.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 10:28am
He's on all my favourite Bad Seeds albums, very sad to hear, 58 is no age to go. Never got around to checking out his solo stuff but going to fix that anon.
I agree with everything!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've only had the pleasure of seeing Cave and the Bad Seeds live once - I think maybe early 2014 - touring behind Push the Sky Away and it was amazing. One of the most incredible shows I've ever seen. It felt like being at this insane old time religious revival - Cave prowled the stage like an old time minister singing about hell and redemption and everything else in-between. He's a master of not just performing, but also of the performance. The band was really good, too. Barry Adamson was on bass that night - which was pretty awesome. Conway was still on keyboards. Just a great show from start to finish.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Actually, I think Barry was on guitar that night and regular bass player Martyn Casey was on bass - either way - the Bad Seeds sounded incredible.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I was extremely bummed to hear about this the other day. My friend made a comment that we'll probably be seeing more of the Seeds go sooner rather than later based on how hard they've lived. I saw them on the Lazarus tour and it was incredible of course.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 12:52pm
I was extremely bummed to hear about this the other day. My friend made a comment that we'll probably be seeing more of the Seeds go sooner rather than later based on how hard they've lived. I saw them on the Lazarus tour and it was incredible of course.
Thomas Wydler has missed time due to health concerns in recent years.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 11:31am
Kory wrote:
Fuck. He's one of my favorite members.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:10pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's all coming back to me. Wydler was not with them when I saw them on the Push the Sky Away tour - Barry Adamson did the bulk of the drumming - with Jim Sclavunos moving behind the kit when Barry was needed on keyboards.

I'm pretty sure Wydler is back playing live with the band - so hopefully whatever he was dealing with has improved. He's always come across as a pretty cool dude. I want to say he's been drumming with the Bad Seeds since maybe 1985/86?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:36pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's all coming back to me. Wydler was not with them when I saw them on the Push the Sky Away tour - Barry Adamson did the bulk of the drumming - with Jim Sclavunos moving behind the kit when Barry was needed on keyboards.

I'm pretty sure Wydler is back playing live with the band - so hopefully whatever he was dealing with has improved. He's always come across as a pretty cool dude. I want to say he's been drumming with the Bad Seeds since maybe 1985/86?
Since The Good Son at least right?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 1:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

He plays on Kicking Against the Pricks - I think that might have been his first recording with the group.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 1:16pm
Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 1:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

He plays on Kicking Against the Pricks - I think that might have been his first recording with the group.
Oh yes, I see. He wasn't a "full-time" Bad Seed until Good Son but split drum tasks with Mick until then.