The Crap Lyric Thread

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12212
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:54pm
Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:52pm
oliver wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:33pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Duran Duran's "You're about as easy as a nuclear war" was pretty crass in an era of heightened cold war tension.
I love DD - but they had some massively crap lyrics.
From start to finish "The Reflex" has to be a contender for the worst lyric as a whole.
I always cringe on hearing "why don't you use it? Try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it"
When I was quite young and not aware of popular music, this song was included in one of Weird Al's polka medleys and I was completely baffled by where it came from and what the hell it was supposed to mean.
Never mind being young mate, I'm baffled now.
Yeah but I didn't even have context. Plus Al sings it like a sheep for some reason.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12668
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:52pm
oliver wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:33pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Duran Duran's "You're about as easy as a nuclear war" was pretty crass in an era of heightened cold war tension.
I love DD - but they had some massively crap lyrics.
From start to finish "The Reflex" has to be a contender for the worst lyric as a whole.
I always cringe on hearing "why don't you use it? Try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it"
When I was quite young and not aware of popular music, this song was included in one of Weird Al's polka medleys and I was completely baffled by where it came from and what the hell it was supposed to mean.
Did it have the cheesey camera sound too?

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3681
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:33pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Duran Duran's "You're about as easy as a nuclear war" was pretty crass in an era of heightened cold war tension.
I love DD - but they had some massively crap lyrics.
From start to finish "The Reflex" has to be a contender for the worst lyric as a whole.
I always cringe on hearing "why don't you use it? Try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it"
I think you're just all upset because you're "on a ride" and you "wan't to get off" but they just won't slow down the damned roundabout!?
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46196
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:54pm
Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:52pm
oliver wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:33pm


I love DD - but they had some massively crap lyrics.
From start to finish "The Reflex" has to be a contender for the worst lyric as a whole.
I always cringe on hearing "why don't you use it? Try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it"
When I was quite young and not aware of popular music, this song was included in one of Weird Al's polka medleys and I was completely baffled by where it came from and what the hell it was supposed to mean.
Never mind being young mate, I'm baffled now.
Yeah but I didn't even have context. Plus Al sings it like a sheep for some reason.
"Context" Duran Duran? Nope sorry baffled again.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12212
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 1:00pm
Kory wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:52pm
oliver wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:33pm
Heston wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Duran Duran's "You're about as easy as a nuclear war" was pretty crass in an era of heightened cold war tension.
I love DD - but they had some massively crap lyrics.
From start to finish "The Reflex" has to be a contender for the worst lyric as a whole.
I always cringe on hearing "why don't you use it? Try not to bruise it, buy time don't lose it"
When I was quite young and not aware of popular music, this song was included in one of Weird Al's polka medleys and I was completely baffled by where it came from and what the hell it was supposed to mean.
Did it have the cheesey camera sound too?
No, but there was an accordion...
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3681
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

I heard "Horse with No Name" by America this morning while pumping gas (I always hear the worst songs at the gas station). Man...that song has some AWFUL lyrics. There were plants and birds and rocks and things? 'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain?
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2615
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by laxman »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 8:21am
I heard "Horse with No Name" by America this morning while pumping gas (I always hear the worst songs at the gas station). Man...that song has some AWFUL lyrics. There were plants and birds and rocks and things? 'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain?
Also, why didn’t he just give the horse a name? He must have had time to think of one in the desert ;)

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46196
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:30pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 8:21am
I heard "Horse with No Name" by America this morning while pumping gas (I always hear the worst songs at the gas station). Man...that song has some AWFUL lyrics. There were plants and birds and rocks and things? 'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain?
Also, why didn’t he just give the horse a name? He must have had time to think of one in the desert ;)
I hope the poor horse could swim.

"After nine days I let the horse run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea"
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33422
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Heston »

I still think "Horse With No Name" is a really good song with a good eco message, dodgy lines aside.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15819
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:25pm
I still think "Horse With No Name" is a really good song with a good eco message, dodgy lines aside.
I like it. Larrikin Love did a good cover.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5188
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Olaf »

I think it was Tom Waits who suggested to change the lyrics to "I've been through the desert on a horse with no legs".

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3681
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 4:04pm
Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:25pm
I still think "Horse With No Name" is a really good song with a good eco message, dodgy lines aside.
I like it. Larrikin Love did a good cover.
Yeah, actually a pretty catchy tune - just some clunky word play.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21523
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

‘4am in the morning’ - Moonlight Shadow

Well it isn’t going to be 4am in the afternoon!!!!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33422
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:17pm
‘4am in the morning’ - Moonlight Shadow

Well it isn’t going to be 4am in the afternoon!!!!
:mrgreen:

"He could preach the bible like a preacher"

From the otherwise perfect "Rasputin" by Boney M.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46196
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Crap Lyric Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 7:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:17pm
‘4am in the morning’ - Moonlight Shadow

Well it isn’t going to be 4am in the afternoon!!!!
:mrgreen:

"He could preach the bible like a preacher"

From the otherwise perfect "Rasputin" by Boney M.
Well it could be "He could preach the bible like a drunk".
Image

Post Reply