Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:45pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:15pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 2:48pm
My parents never restricted music. That is such a foreign concept to me. I'm very lucky, I guess. My dad always liked to listen to anything new I discovered. My mom kind of stuck with her Buddy Holly/Everly Brothers thing, but never kept me from buying music I wanted to hear.
I was the last of six kids with parents in their sixties by the time I hit my adolescence. They couldn't give a fuck what I was listening to as long as it wasn't so loud that they couldn't her the television. At the same time, my mother was cool enough that I once sent her a list of albums to buy for me when she went into the big city. Without any hesitation, she bought Dead Kennedys In God We Trust, Inc. and Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady. When she passes and the family has to submit stories for the funeral, that's going to be mine.
Nice. I mean, not about your mom's future passing. But about her album purchases.
Pretty cool woman. She grew up in occupied Holland, worked with the Underground (forgery and other document fraud, not, like, blowing up dams), and her family was on a circuit of those who hid Jews to try to smuggle them out of the country. And she met my dad when the Canadian army liberated her city.
I think I knew this - sounds like an amazing woman.
And hates conservatives with almost comical venom.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: I miss the Beastie Boys

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 4:01pm

And hates conservatives with almost comical venom.
Me too, minus the comedy.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:45pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:15pm
JennyB wrote:
My parents never restricted music. That is such a foreign concept to me. I'm very lucky, I guess. My dad always liked to listen to anything new I discovered. My mom kind of stuck with her Buddy Holly/Everly Brothers thing, but never kept me from buying music I wanted to hear.
I was the last of six kids with parents in their sixties by the time I hit my adolescence. They couldn't give a fuck what I was listening to as long as it wasn't so loud that they couldn't her the television. At the same time, my mother was cool enough that I once sent her a list of albums to buy for me when she went into the big city. Without any hesitation, she bought Dead Kennedys In God We Trust, Inc. and Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady. When she passes and the family has to submit stories for the funeral, that's going to be mine.
Nice. I mean, not about your mom's future passing. But about her album purchases.
Pretty cool woman. She grew up in occupied Holland, worked with the Underground (forgery and other document fraud, not, like, blowing up dams), and her family was on a circuit of those who hid Jews to try to smuggle them out of the country. And she met my dad when the Canadian army liberated her city.
Great story!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
Looking back...it might have been more of me being afraid to ask for it versus them not allowing me to have it. My mom and dad were (and still are) very open minded. A few years later when my sister and I started discovering punk - they had no qualms about us listening to whatever we wanted to.

My cousin (who is 15 years older than me) tells a story about how the first time he played First Issue by PiL his mom flew into a rage when the track Religion came on. She pulled the album off of the turntable and forbade him from ever listening to it in the house again! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 1:26pm
JennyB wrote:
Looking back...it might have been more of me being afraid to ask for it versus them not allowing me to have it. My mom and dad were (and still are) very open minded. A few years later when my sister and I started discovering punk - they had no qualms about us listening to whatever we wanted to.

My cousin (who is 15 years older than me) tells a story about how the first time he played First Issue by PiL his mom flew into a rage when the track Religion came on. She pulled the album off of the turntable and forbade him from ever listening to it in the house again! :mrgreen:
But she was fine with "Theme"? Well.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

MCA playing bass with the Cro-Mags in '94.

Hell yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

modskint
Dirty Punk

Post by modskint »

Watched a YT vid last night of them playing at Slam City Skates in London, 1994.

I saw them on the “In the Round” tour at UNO Lakefront Arena in ‘98 maybe? It was life changing.

Their book is incredible as well. I need to pull it out of my book bins in the garage.