Re: I miss the Beastie Boys

Post by WestwayKid »

Me three.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

adam yauch and the beastie boys are up there with joe and the clash for me, in that I don't think more than a couple weeks ever goes by where I don't miss their absence.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 3:41pm
adam yauch and the beastie boys are up there with joe and the clash for me, in that I don't think more than a couple weeks ever goes by where I don't miss their absence.
I agree with this post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

so great. think that book is gunna be on my xmas list.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Great article. I love them, but I do question their assertion that the License to Ill era was parody. I think they really, in hindsight, believe it was. But I saw them on that tour - they were embracing every minute of it. Don't get me wrong...I loved it back then and we all view that era through a post "me too" lens, but I think they would be better off admitting that they were being sexist assholes. Does that make sense?

Regardless, I totally want that book. Alan Light's book on them is great, too.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:38am
Great article. I love them, but I do question their assertion that the License to Ill era was parody. I think they really, in hindsight, believe it was. But I saw them on that tour - they were embracing every minute of it. Don't get me wrong...I loved it back then and we all view that era through a post "me too" lens, but I think they would be better off admitting that they were being sexist assholes. Does that make sense?

Are they still saying that? Can't they just admit that they were young and immature?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 10:43am
JennyB wrote:

Are they still saying that? Can't they just admit that they were young and immature?
Exactly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Exactly.
And there's absolutely no damage by admitting it. Hell, they'd almost certainly get credit for growth and the like. I mean, I've seen some of the jokes I've made here from a decade ago and will wince. Playing fast and loose with the ironic tone as cover. Get older, become more self-reflective, try to be better. Duh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:05am
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Exactly.
And there's absolutely no damage by admitting it. Hell, they'd almost certainly get credit for growth and the like. I mean, I've seen some of the jokes I've made here from a decade ago and will wince. Playing fast and loose with the ironic tone as cover. Get older, become more self-reflective, try to be better. Duh.
I think Jen's right - they probably believe their own rationalisations. Goddamn, but fuck the person I was just two years ago (and may I forever feel this way).
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Exactly.
I think Jen's right - they probably believe their own rationalisations. Goddamn, but fuck the person I was just two years ago (and may I forever feel this way).
Right. Same. I love them and I think they have done more than their fair share of penance (for lack of a better word), but just admit you were douchebags.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:32am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:

Exactly.
Right. Same. I love them and I think they have done more than their fair share of penance (for lack of a better word), but just admit you were douchebags.
I think we've seen recently that showing growth doesn't seem to give you any points if you have something distasteful in your past.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
JennyB wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:32am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Exactly.
I think we've seen recently that showing growth doesn't seem to give you any points if you have something distasteful in your past.
Who are you referring to?