Songs that I hate...

General music discussion.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Songs that I hate...

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Changing my answer to: Jimmy Buffet cheeseburger in margaritaville or whatever the fuck

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 1:02pm
Changing my answer to: Jimmy Buffet cheeseburger in margaritaville or whatever the fuck
Yeah, pretty freaking awful. About 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend and I went down to Chicago to see Black Star and it just so happened that Jimmy Buffett was playing Wrigley that night and as we rode the "L" after the show we were joined by an increasing amount of Parrotheads. I guess I get the fun of dressing up and kicking back - but I'm also jaded enough to hate the corporate feel that it has. I think I'd also have a hard time feeling tropical sitting in urine smelling Wrigley. I'd probably be more tolerant if I was actually sitting on a beach somewhere warm.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 1:02pm
My sister and I have a running joke about this song. Buffett portrays himself as this burned out drunk in the song...but we're always like what burned out drunk would waste his time making a freaking margarita? That "cheap" tequila is getting consumed straight out of the plastic bottle it came in!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:57am
I can't believe that none of you have mentioned the absolute worst song of all time - Toto's Africa. And the fact that millenials and gen z'ers have embraced it as their anthem makes it all the more terrible. It's a hateful song. It's so terrible it makes Kokomo sound like Ziggy Stardust. Let's put it this way. I would rather listen to Mama by Phil Collins on a continues loop for an entire week than listen to Africa once. It's that bad.
I have a problem with Africa because although I see where you are coming from it reminds me of a ‘very happy place’ so I like hearing it on the radio!!
I think I used it as an example in a thread I posted a while back of songs you like only because of a link to a memory.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Oxymoron to use Clapton but that acoustic version of Layla is appalling by his standards.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 5:29pm
Oxymoron to use Clapton but that acoustic version of Layla is appalling by his standards.
Let's not mention Tears In Heaven or I will win the thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 10:57am
I can't believe that none of you have mentioned the absolute worst song of all time - Toto's Africa. And the fact that millenials and gen z'ers have embraced it as their anthem makes it all the more terrible. It's a hateful song. It's so terrible it makes Kokomo sound like Ziggy Stardust. Let's put it this way. I would rather listen to Mama by Phil Collins on a continues loop for an entire week than listen to Africa once. It's that bad.
Hello,

I agree wholeheartedly. It is the most pretentious song I know and I consider pretentiousness a high crime. Piano man is up there as well for it's effect on idiots out on an amateur night and readers of these posts will know there's a special place in hell for Taste of Honey's "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie".

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 8:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Layla is worse because he has managed to take one of his own 'classics' and kill it!!!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 12:16am
Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 8:36pm
101Walterton wrote:
Layla is worse because he has managed to take one of his own 'classics' and kill it!!!
I agree. I worked at a grocery store during my high school and college years so I had to listen to hour and hours of piped in MOR music - including the acoustic version of Layla. It is a horrid song. The original is solid because he comes across as lovesick, deranged, and barely in control and his playing his brutal. The acoustic version has all of the life sucked out of it.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 7:12am
I agree. I worked at a grocery store during my high school and college years so I had to listen to hour and hours of piped in MOR music - including the acoustic version of Layla. It is a horrid song. The original is solid because he comes across as lovesick, deranged, and barely in control and his playing his brutal. The acoustic version has all of the life sucked out of it.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Layla was originally intended to sound just like the acoustic version but then Duane Allman came in and did this big guitar riff (which he based off some old blues song) and it went off in a new direction.

And regarding unplugged versions of songs - may I refer you to the quote in the first post here
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11365
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

There's only a handful of songs that I actively hate but there is no worse song than Bob Seger's Old Time Rock and Roll.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JoseUnidos wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 10:32am
There's only a handful of songs that I actively hate but there is no worse song than Bob Seger's Old Time Rock and Roll.
Ha, ha! It's a staple of the White American Couple Wedding Reception Playlist! I agree...it's a massive clunker.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 10:32am
That is up there, for sure.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

The Wild Boys (Duran Duran) song and video combo is high on my list.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 2:26pm
The Wild Boys (Duran Duran) song and video combo is high on my list.
Now I like Wild Boys, probably their last good single.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board