Re: Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 3:30pm
Marky are you talking about the same clip as Jenny?
Jenny was talking about the limo with blacked out windows not the car in the scene where Nancy is in the limo on way to buy drugs and they church her stuff out.

Sid says Rod both times they see it.

#confused
Yes the same scene. The second time they see the car just as it speeds away after Nancy's bag is jettisoned. He does not say Rod and I've been checking my DVD and I've played it over and over he seems to say Rab or Rad.
That's how you say Rod in movies.
What makes more sense, Rab/Rad or Rod? What would Rab or Rad mean? In context, Rod makes sense given the earlier Rod Stewart line. Seems like the solution would be an unclear delivery of the line in that above scene.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:11pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Jenny was talking about the limo with blacked out windows not the car in the scene where Nancy is in the limo on way to buy drugs and they church her stuff out.

#confused
Yes the same scene. The second time they see the car just as it speeds away after Nancy's bag is jettisoned. He does not say Rod and I've been checking my DVD and I've played it over and over he seems to say Rab or Rad.
What makes more sense, Rab/Rad or Rod? What would Rab or Rad mean? In context, Rod makes sense given the earlier Rod Stewart line. Seems like the solution would be an unclear delivery of the line in that above scene.
When did "rad" become part of the kid's slang? Like mid-80s?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

#confused
It was definitely in currency by the early 80s. I often associate with the dink who ran for school president in high school, whose slogan was "Be rad, vote for Brad."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:24pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It was definitely in currency by the early 80s. I often associate with the dink who ran for school president in high school, whose slogan was "Be rad, vote for Brad."
Totally would have voted for that guy. Why wouldn't I want to be rad?!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

He was a loud prick. But popular, so, even with me not self-identifying as rad, he won. He's a big-time cancer researcher now, as I understand it. Probably still a loud prick.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:39pm
Kory wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 1:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He was a loud prick. But popular, so, even with me not self-identifying as rad, he won. He's a big-time cancer researcher now, as I understand it. Probably still a loud prick.
Just what cancer research needs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

#confused
It works as a good piss-take when Sid & Wally see the limo in the first scene as Sid is just speaking to Wally. But when they encounter the limo in the next scene it makes no sense for Sid to shout out "alright Rod" and raise his hand to wave at whoever is meant to be in the car.

But yeah it's probably just a mispronounciation by Oldman.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia