Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

General music discussion.
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

Post by dave202 »

Is this worth looking for? I know Love Kills and Haunted, but is it worth getting it for the other tracks?

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Sid And Nancy Soundtrack

Post by oliver »

dave202 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 9:32am
Is this worth looking for? I know Love Kills and Haunted, but is it worth getting it for the other tracks?
The album is on Spotify but only half are playable. Maybe it's because I'm using the free version (dunno) - but you may get to hear some of the ones you're missing that way

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dud Dum Club is excellent and Love Kills by the Circle Jerks is very good but I still think they should have gone with Dee Dee's song instead, I mean he fucking knew and hung out with Sid

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I don’t play it much, more likely to go for the Straight to Hell soundtrack which is good fun. Salsa y ketchup always makes me laugh.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

oliver wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 9:53am
The album is on Spotify but only half are playable. Maybe it's because I'm using the free version (dunno) - but you may get to hear some of the ones you're missing that way
Sidenote, but my suspicion of streaming services has been getting steadily raised. Great way to casually jam on music (especially when exploring new stuff), but I've come across too many beloved albums that are missing tracks or, even more egregiously to me since it's not easily identifiable, are edited from the original release. For example, several of the Bob Dylan bootleg series have crowd noise edited out (which is insane for the 1966 concert, which is infamous precisely for the crowd reactions) or have fade outs/song cuts not on the original release.

I'm not anti-streaming (it's my preferred way to listen to music at work), but I don't really see it as a way to properly preserve music since it's so subject to the unilateral whims of the streaming service in question. Not that record companies are great purveyors of the historical record, but at least once you own a CD/record/whatever, you're the owner of that copy and can be a steward of it. No such dynamic exists with streaming services.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 12:54pm
oliver wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 9:53am
Sidenote, but my suspicion of streaming services has been getting steadily raised. Great way to casually jam on music (especially when exploring new stuff), but I've come across too many beloved albums that are missing tracks or, even more egregiously to me since it's not easily identifiable, are edited from the original release. For example, several of the Bob Dylan bootleg series have crowd noise edited out (which is insane for the 1966 concert, which is infamous precisely for the crowd reactions) or have fade outs/song cuts not on the original release.

I'm not anti-streaming (it's my preferred way to listen to music at work), but I don't really see it as a way to properly preserve music since it's so subject to the unilateral whims of the streaming service in question. Not that record companies are great purveyors of the historical record, but at least once you own a CD/record/whatever, you're the owner of that copy and can be a steward of it. No such dynamic exists with streaming services.
Yep, I use Spotify but only in the same way I use the radio.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Further thought: streaming is, in a lot of ways, the mirror universe version of the rise of file sharing. Instead of democratizing the ownership and possession of music, it concentrates control in the hands of an ever smaller number of gatekeepers with consumers subject to their whims with even less recourse than in any iteration of music-as-consumable-good since the advent of the cassette.

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 1:03pm
Further thought: streaming is, in a lot of ways, the mirror universe version of the rise of file sharing. Instead of democratizing the ownership and possession of music, it concentrates control in the hands of an ever smaller number of gatekeepers with consumers subject to their whims with even less recourse than in any iteration of music-as-consumable-good since the advent of the cassette.
Curation has ruined everything.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 1:03pm
Streaming is totally a response to the gatekeeper-free nature of file sharing or piracy. It alters how the consumer pays for the music, but it still strives to empower the middleman, who had been cut-out of the scheme by file sharing. On principle alone, streaming is a secondary form for me (limited largely to sampling stuff I haven't heard before).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Anyways, the Sid and Nancy soundtrack is great and if you can't find a full, unfuckedwith copy online you can pick up a used copy for a few bucks on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sid-And ... ter/102548

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in the day, when the movie and album were first released, there was a news story about a packaging snafu, where some consumers bought what they thought were some fine toe-tapping tunes from Lawrence Welk and instead got Sid and Nancy.

And now you know … the rest of the story. Good day!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 1:34pm
Back in the day, when the movie and album were first released, there was a news story about a packaging snafu, where some consumers bought what they thought were some fine toe-tapping tunes from Lawrence Welk and instead got Sid and Nancy.

And now you know … the rest of the story. Good day!
"Well, mother, the rhythm changed but, by gum, it's still Lawrence and I'll learn to love it like I did 15 Sousas for a Picnic."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the movie this morning—can't recall the last time I did so—and was really struck how my feelings have grown for the story's two halves. I find the first half—the Sex Pistols half, you could call it—less effective, flat and corny. People complain about historical inaccuracies and all that, but the whole scene plays out as rather bland. The second half—the Sid & Nancy half—plays out better than I recalled … or, more likely, how I receive it. There's a real human tragedy played out. Two self-destructive people on a doomed course, but they never stop being human. Some have criticized Cox for romanticizing junkie squalor, and there's definitely evidence there if that's your perspective, but I prefer to see it as not consigning them to cheap cliches or other abstractions. Fucked up and making their own horrible fate, sure, but they still felt fear and love and want even as they lose hope, and so we should feel a connection to them. So, an affecting half movie once we can get past the plodding set-up.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 8:05am
Watched the movie this morning—can't recall the last time I did so—and was really struck how my feelings have grown for the story's two halves. I find the first half—the Sex Pistols half, you could call it—less effective, flat and corny. People complain about historical inaccuracies and all that, but the whole scene plays out as rather bland. The second half—the Sid & Nancy half—plays out better than I recalled … or, more likely, how I receive it. There's a real human tragedy played out. Two self-destructive people on a doomed course, but they never stop being human. Some have criticized Cox for romanticizing junkie squalor, and there's definitely evidence there if that's your perspective, but I prefer to see it as not consigning them to cheap cliches or other abstractions. Fucked up and making their own horrible fate, sure, but they still felt fear and love and want even as they lose hope, and so we should feel a connection to them. So, an affecting half movie once we can get past the plodding set-up.
My criticism of Cox is that the junkie squalor is nowhere near squalid enough. It's a sad tale of two junkies with Sid believing he is a bigger star than he really is. McLaren/Branson/Virgin records are to blame for Sid's inflated ego and for taking liberties with someone who is nothing more than just a kid at the end of the day. Oldman is simply superb as Sid and the film does still hold a charm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 3:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 8:05am
My criticism of Cox is that the junkie squalor is nowhere near squalid enough. It's a sad tale of two junkies with Sid believing he is a bigger star than he really is. McLaren/Branson/Virgin records are to blame for Sid's inflated ego and for taking liberties with someone who is nothing more than just a kid at the end of the day. Oldman is simply superb as Sid and the film does still hold a charm.
You're right, but I don't fault Cox for his choice to emphasize the two of them and their relationship rather than a more true depiction of the environment. Given that both Sid and Nancy had been reduced to cartoon characters in the popular media, and as characters to be mocked and snickered at, I think restoring their respectability as actual people defensible.