The Pogues albums without Shane

General music discussion.
vacuumcleaner
Corner Soul

The Pogues albums without Shane

Post by vacuumcleaner »

I shouldn't say this but I totally hate them. On Waiting for Herb the only song I like is Tuesday Morning and even that is predictable pop. The whole album also seems like they had the wrong producer.

I just heard Pogue Mahone for the first time. Doesn't work for me. The first track in particular is like torture. Love Me Till the End is okay.

I think in general Spider didn't work out as a lead singer. It may be the producer's fault. Did the band itself comment on these two albums?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Pogues albums without Shane

Post by Low Down Low »

Well I would disagree but its all opinions. Dont know exactly what you mean by "predictable pop" or at least why that may be a bad thing. One positive thing I like about post-Shane Pogues and those last two albums is it gave the rest of the band members a chance to show their songwriting talent and I think it comes across fairly well in very good if not admittedly classic albums. I dont know if Spider really had what it took to cut it as a lead singer, but I quite like his raspy vocals nonetheless. I dont think either album is in any way inferior to Hells Ditch at least.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I think you can get one very good album if you put the best bits of the two together. Tuesday Morning is in my top 5 Pogues songs, and Living In a World Without Her is up there. I saw them live in 94 and was very surprised at how good they were, Spider was a very good frontman. But yes, he was rough and ready in the vocal department.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Neither one was anywhere near great, but also not completely horrible. Shane was such a force of nature - despite the wealth of talent that the rest of the band had - his absence was always going to be felt a lot - and it was.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'd have to go back to listen to Herb. I wasn't crazy about it when it came out but I was a rabid Shane fan at the time.