I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General music discussion.
coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 476
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by coffeepotman » 28 Oct 2016, 7:19am

What did Y'all think about the Danzig covers album....I actually like it, I'm waiting for his Elvis covers album
Last edited by coffeepotman on 28 Oct 2016, 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 476
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by coffeepotman » 28 Oct 2016, 9:43am

The post Danzig Misfits are really not very good on record but live it was a different story. I saw them Halloween a few years back with Robo and Dez which made it more a Black Flag show, they even did a few BF numbers. It was pretty good and very exciting...The misfits numbers were eh....but when they did No Values it was awesome. Jerry running around talking like it was their 30th anniversary didn't sit well with me

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter » 28 Oct 2016, 10:02am

coffeepotman wrote:What did Y'all think about the Danzig covers album....I actually like it, I'm waiting for his Elvis covers album
I feel like I heard a few tracks from it and enjoyed them, but I can't recall anything about it. I'll look into it.

EDIT: No, but I had heard Devil's Angels, which was the best Danzig solo song in probably 25 years.

DOUBLE EDIT: Maybe 35 years.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Bankrobber
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1595
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 6:14pm
Location: Camp Blood, OK

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Bankrobber » 28 Oct 2016, 10:16am

Wolter wrote:
EDIT: No, but I had heard Devil's Angels, which was the best Danzig solo song in probably 25 years.
Totally agree. Check out Satan from the album. Very doo-woppy. There is also a classic Danzig and keyboard cut of Satan as well.

[I was born mean
By the time I was twelve
I was killing
Killing for Satan


Actually, why don't I just...
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flex » 28 Oct 2016, 10:27am

Apparently Danzig is set to release an Elvis covers albums by the end of the year. Tasty.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flex » 28 Oct 2016, 12:12pm

Kory wrote:What did y'all think of American Psycho? Like if you could separate it from actually being the Misfits and pretend it's another band? For my part at least, those songs get stuck in my head all the time.
Meant to respond to this, but I'm probably relatively high on the post-Danzig Misfits, and I actually thought Famous Monsters was better than American Psycho. If they just had a danged different name, we'd be like "oh, it's neat that Jerry Only and Doyle are doing some horror punk these days and it sounds very serviceable." And I also think the stuff they released starting with Project: 1950 (Project: 1950, Fiend Club Lounge, Devil's Rain, DeA.D. Alive!) is all even more solid than their first two post-Danzig records. It's just... a different band than the Danzig-led Misfits. When you forget that Jerry Only is trying to pretend otherwise, it's fine. And, honestly, Danzig's dive into doing covers aside, I think I prefer the post-Danzig Misfits to anything Glenn's been up to since probably the mid-90s.

Jerry Only is just a Mike Love'esque Huckster. They should do an album together.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter » 28 Oct 2016, 12:32pm

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:What did y'all think of American Psycho? Like if you could separate it from actually being the Misfits and pretend it's another band? For my part at least, those songs get stuck in my head all the time.
Meant to respond to this, but I'm probably relatively high on the post-Danzig Misfits, and I actually thought Famous Monsters was better than American Psycho. If they just had a danged different name, we'd be like "oh, it's neat that Jerry Only and Doyle are doing some horror punk these days and it sounds very serviceable." And I also think the stuff they released starting with Project: 1950 (Project: 1950, Fiend Club Lounge, Devil's Rain, DeA.D. Alive!) is all even more solid than their first two post-Danzig records. It's just... a different band than the Danzig-led Misfits. When you forget that Jerry Only is trying to pretend otherwise, it's fine. And, honestly, Danzig's dive into doing covers aside, I think I prefer the post-Danzig Misfits to anything Glenn's been up to since probably the mid-90s.

Jerry Only is just a Mike Love'esque Huckster. They should do an album together.
I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flex » 28 Oct 2016, 12:34pm

Wolter wrote:I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
And you agree that Jerry Only and Mike Love collaborating on "Kokomo - 2017 Version" would be solid gold, right?
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter » 28 Oct 2016, 12:51pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
And you agree that Jerry Only and Mike Love collaborating on "Kokomo - 2017 Version" would be solid gold, right?
Literally this very morning I was thinking about how Jerry is essentially the Mike Love of punk.

I always compare the Misfits to KISS because of the crass merchandising, but in a lot of ways they're kind of like the Eagles, where post-breakup they're all kind of assholes to each other, and I have zero sympathy for the main two people.

In this analogy, Doyle is Joe Walsh, I guess?
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flex » 28 Oct 2016, 12:53pm

Wolter wrote:Literally this very morning I was thinking about how Jerry is essentially the Mike Love of punk.

I always compare the Misfits to KISS because of the crass merchandising, but in a lot of ways they're kind of like the Eagles, where post-breakup they're all kind of assholes to each other, and I have zero sympathy for the main two people.

In this analogy, Doyle is Joe Walsh, I guess?
Last Caress is Hotel California.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter » 28 Oct 2016, 2:12pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Literally this very morning I was thinking about how Jerry is essentially the Mike Love of punk.

I always compare the Misfits to KISS because of the crass merchandising, but in a lot of ways they're kind of like the Eagles, where post-breakup they're all kind of assholes to each other, and I have zero sympathy for the main two people.

In this analogy, Doyle is Joe Walsh, I guess?
Last Caress is Hotel California.
Hey, I just realized both Mike Love and Jerry Only have recorded mediocre-to-bad covers of Monster Mash. That can be the b-side to "Kokomo Biz '17"
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by revbob » 28 Oct 2016, 6:49pm

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
And you agree that Jerry Only and Mike Love collaborating on "Kokomo - 2017 Version" would be solid gold, right?
Kokomo the Konquerer

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter » 28 Oct 2016, 6:55pm

revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
And you agree that Jerry Only and Mike Love collaborating on "Kokomo - 2017 Version" would be solid gold, right?
Kokomo the Konquerer
I laughed.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by revbob » 28 Oct 2016, 7:17pm

Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm less amenable to post-Danzig Misfits overall, but I tend to agree with all of this. Especially the bold. They make fairly middling horror-punk of the sub-Ramones ilk, but there's nothing wrong with being run-of-the-mill if you remove the Misfits name. Just like if the those forgettable Specials albums after the reunion were put out as a different band name, I'd be more amenable to them.
And you agree that Jerry Only and Mike Love collaborating on "Kokomo - 2017 Version" would be solid gold, right?
Kokomo the Konquerer
I laughed.
That joke was for one of the like 5 people who would get it. Mission Accomplished.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Flex » 28 Oct 2016, 7:19pm

I already called a booking agency to see if I can get them to play the Dillon Amphitheater.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests